Ethernet cable install

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1 21 gigawatts, May 16, 2021.

1. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

Anyone knowledgeable about connecting an internet router to a media console (Xbox one)? We use an Xbox as a media server (youtube, Prime music/video,etc). The wifi card quit working in it, so I need to hardwire it. The router is in the office, so I've temporarily connecting them with a Cat6 cable running through the kitchen.

I bought a spool of Cat5e, some RJ45 jacks, and a punch down tool today and hopped into the attic to tackle the job. I was using the phone line in the office to identify where to feed the cable when I noticed that it was already a Cat5e cable. Every room in the house has a Cat5e cable running from a junction box to a phone jack (just using 4 of the 8 wires).

Since we don't have any landline phones, can I simply repurpose these Cat5e cables to hook the router to the Xbox? My plan would be to identify the cables for the office and TV at the junction box, splice them together using a Cat5e junction, and swap the RJ11 terminals with RJ45. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I know that the splice isn't ideal, but it seems silly to run new cable and jacks when they are already exactly where I need them.

2. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Sounds good to me. Cat5 is Cat5. If there's already cable where you need it, use it. No sense to run new wire. If I'm understanding you I don't see a problem.

Coffeemutt and SRHmusic like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Cat5e is Cat5e. If it's handling IP over Ethernet for this application, and not handling an actual video signal, it should work fine.

Coffeemutt likes this.
  4. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Dont splice them, connectorize them, and use a patch panel. You probably already have the brakets for one in the panel where these jacks are located. The cable should be fine to use.

5. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a USB Wifi dongle for the Xbox One ??????????

6. 4wotitswurth

4wotitswurth Tele-Meister

I maybe wrong, and might not be your best solution. But I use two netgear routers. A new one, which is the main one, that links to the cable modem and an older one in bridge mode. The older one links to the new one with its WiFi, the older one connects to any nearby devices using its Ethernet ports, and doesn’t function as a wireless device. For me it ‘flies’.. netgear to netgear with fairly new hardware in that configuration is for us, like having a hardwired connection. But only worth messing with if you have two routers lying around….. cheers.

7. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

As long as it's really Cat5e, it's fine. Just make sure you set the conductors in the right place by their colors so whoever tears into it 20 years from now doesn't wonder what you were smoking. The standard you're looking for is called T568B.

archetype likes this.
  8. 1 21 gigawatts

I plan to use a Cat5e 1 to 1 junction box (punch down for each cable).

Here is where all of the cables terminate. Don't mind the cable splitter. The Fios guy hooked that up when I was having a signal strength issue.
    20210516_195427.jpg
    You can see that the unused pairs of wire were left and simply wrapped around the cable.

What would be the pro way to do it if I wanted to wire additional rooms with ethernet instead of phone? Install a network splitter in this box?

SRHmusic likes this.
  9. 1 21 gigawatts

Oops- Double post

10. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

I would move the router, down to the location you are at now, connectorize everything and plug them in to the router. Alternatively if you need the router where it is due to WiFi signal needs, I would purchase a switch, feed it from the router, using the cable that comes from the office down to the smart panel. Either way will work.

11. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

eh....

12. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

If by additional rooms you mean rooms that don't currently have an RJ11 jack, then I would highly suggest a total rewire. Update that existing cat5 and install brand new wire with jacks to the "additional" and existing rooms. Connect it at a hub with a nice ethernet switch and access points if you need the wifi.

If by additional rooms you mean rooms that already have an existing RJ11 jack, then, since you have a power outlet in that junction box, get a cheap 4-12 port ethernet switch. Take those existing cat5 connections in the splitter and wire RJ45 connectors to them and plug those into the new switch.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  13. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have gone in the opposite direction, I have been pulling coax and telephone lines OUT of my home. Everything in our home gets connectivity from our Mesh WiFi.

If it were me, I would have just bought a new USB WiFi dongle for the xBox.

8C69B225-49C2-404E-B51B-5844E69B3539.jpeg

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I'm the opposite. In the OP's scenario, wired wouldn't depend on multiple devices working like they're supposed to. It would all roll up to a single device that's supposed to work like it's supposed to.

This is my opinion from 15 years in planning this nonsense and my teams deploying it in an enterprise environment. If you can hardwire it, hardwire it. There's nothing more reliable.

You don't need ultimate flexibility via wireless for things that do what they do, where they do it, every time.

Coffeemutt, SRHmusic, Alamo and 2 others like this.
  15. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

So, I dont know what type of FIOS modem you have but my guess is that it is a four port router. Honestly though it looks like you have cable and not FIOS due to coax being used to feed the modem. That modem could be relocated into the area where the cat 5 cables are, and you could just install connectors onto the lines you want on, if there are 4 or less. Alternatively you could leave the modem where it is tone the line that it is next to out, use that line to feed a cheap switch and plug all the lines in. It will work the same way. Very easy to do either one.

16. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I'm still running ARCNET, can't help you.

ricknbaker and archetype like this.
  17. 1 21 gigawatts

There is currently a Cat5e cable running from the splitter to a phone jack in each room where I would need
    It is fiber optic to the box in the garage, then coax to this junction box in the laundry room. The coax is currently split to the modem and the TV receiver. There are 4 LAN ports on the router, so if I could relocate it to this location, that would be ideal. It is the tabletop kind (no wall mount option) though and this is in a laundry room, so I don't think that it is practical.

Could I put the network switch in this box? Are there any heat concerns?

archetype likes this.
  18. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

Usually the table top modems will allow you to unscrew the base and attach to the wall on one sode of the modem. They have slots for screws, not all of them have this but most do. You can definately move it to the laundry room, just screw the coax directly into it. If not a small cheap shelf might be the way to go. Heat for a modem should not be an issue, if you can stand in that room, the modem will be fine. Same with a switch if you go that route there is not enough heat generated to cause an issue with the small amount of current the switch requires.

archetype likes this.
  19. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You will need all 4 twisted pairs in the Cat5e. The phone guys may have cut the other 2 pairs, so be sure to verify that.

archetype likes this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

okay, well, I may not be understanding fully what your plan is... I think I hear you say that you have Cat5 in the rooms already and that they are punched down using 4 of the wires... and that the unused wires are exposed so that you could put ends on them.

If that is right, you are planning to do what is called 'splitting pairs'... we used to do it in cases where we couldn't get new cable and we wanted an additional drop. It is NOT a great idea long term, but, you sound committed.

Have you made rj45 ethernet cables before? if no, make a couple of cables FIRST and test that they work before you dive in. Making cable is easy, but it will take some practice and splitting pairs makes it even a little more complex. What you might do is put a mini switch in your fios cabinet, connect the rooms to it and connect to your internet router. They are 40.00 and reliable... you can get gig ports for them and be all set.

archetype likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.