Ethanol-free gasoline?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by E5RSY, Apr 9, 2018.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Now available at a station down the road. Runs about 25¢ more per gallon. Worth it?

Floyd Eye likes this.
  2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I use it. It seems to get me between 10 and 15% better gas mileage.

aerhed, william tele and RetroTeleRod like this.
  3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Could be worth it on certain engines.

You'd really have to calculate, but ethanol gas requires to run more rich. You get less power and fuel economy with ethanol gas (unless you're using E85 and taking advantage of the octane rating)
    You might burn slightly less fuel with the non-eth, but if you'd be saving/losing money would depend on your vehicle. I think that $.25 is very worth it for smaller engines like 2 strokes.

I'd use it with my miata. It has a low compression ratio, and the ECU was designed before they added ethanol to fuel, so it'd run a lot better without the ethanol in the fuel, IMO.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

I'm convinced the ethanol gas is causing me headaches with my yard power tools. It seems like I clean my carburetors every other use of the tools. I just bought some of the pre-mix, 2 stroke, ethanol free stuff Home Depot sells to try it out.

5. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

I used to use it in my air cooled motorcycle. Around here most everyone with a boat burns ethanol free gas. From personal experience I think ethanol burns hotter.

JayFreddy likes this.
  6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I was under the impression that all gas had to have some ethanol in it now, by law. Guess I was wrong about Texas.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I put half an ounce of the marine formula of Sta-Bil in my empty plastic 5-gallon gas cans each and every time I fill them up. I also run it through my motorcycle before allowing it to sit for any period of time. Basically, no gas ever runs through my riding mower, push mower, chainsaw, portable generator or snow thrower that does not contain Sta-Bil. I've never had any carburetor problem in any of those machines, even after leaving them sit for months at a time (always with a full tank of gas so the rubbers stay wet). There are other fuel stabilizers that work just as well, or better, I'm sure. It just takes a little forethought and an extra minute or two. I also use only top-tier gas in everything, no exceptions. And no problems. Ever.

frankg11, Stubee and telemnemonics like this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Going ethanol free gas changed my life with my small 4 cycle a 2 stroke engines. Not another drop of that ethanol in my small engines ever again if I can help it. With the massive effort needed to grow corn for fuel, it turned out to be an issue of bad math gone horribly wrong.

10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Ethanol free gas is definitely better for boats and small engines.

Most modern auto engines can tolerate ethanol well.

Jimmy Owen, Georox and RetroTeleRod like this.
  11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Adding alcohol to fuel is a cheap way of boosting the effective octane number, and is safer than so many of the other anti-knock agents that have been used in unleaded fuel at one point or another, but it does have its own issues.

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I like corn Ethanol
    I am pro farmer assistance.

13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

A modern car engine that has the computer tuning to handle 15-20% Ethanol can make more power on ethanol containing gas than regular old gas. Good enough for Indy cars... :)

"Regular old gas" has MTBe in it instead of Ethanol.

Ethanol does not hurt performance, but it lowers the density of the fuel, which means less energy going into your gas tank and worse fuel economy. Also if your car sits (e.x. you don't drive a lot or you have a Prius or a Volt and barely ever have to fill the tank) the ethanol can evaporate out of the gas and you lose a little of your fuel that way, again reducing economy.

Yah it really could mess up older engines that had carburetors like lawn equipment and old motorcycles. The old fuel would leave gunk in the carbs/heads/whatever and the ethanol dissolves it/breaks it free and then it tends to find it's way into needles and such. Shouldn't be too bad though if someone goes over the motor and cleans it up, once all that old gunk is out the ethanol shouldn't disagree with it.

I have a lawn mower, weedwacker, and have had 2 snowblowers and none of them care at all about Ethanol, but they've all lived almost their entire life with Ethanol.

TimothyC likes this.
  14. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

The math is valid. But the equations have nothing to do with (non-economic) engines.

Personally, I'm fairly sure that corn ethanol doesn't actually capture any energy (because all it really does is capture the sun's energy in plant form), by the time everything that has to be done gets done. I'm fairly sure that it comes out even, or slightly negative.

That's mostly from listening to my chemical engineer wife, who has worked extensively with corn processes.

15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

It's all energy negative. The stuff in the ground seems cheaper just because we weren't here to wait around for hundreds of millions of years for the earth to do the work for us.

pdmartin and Obsessed like this.
  16. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use ethanol-free gasoline in the mower, snow blower, chain saw ... all the lawn/yard equipment

17. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I was constantly having to replace carburetors on my gas powered lawn equipment or just replace them until I started buying and using non-ethanol gasoline exclusively three years ago.
    Your owner's manual will tell you it's okay to use gas with <15% ethanol because they will last at least through the non-commercial use season before dying; coincidentally about the time your warranty runs out. Most people just buy new rather than pay for repairs.

Jimmy Owen, Obsessed and RetroTeleRod like this.
  18. stratoblaster

I thought this was what I was missing. I previously used StaBil in Jet Skis as part of winterizing. But after reading on the web about the problems with ethanol, I really don't want to use it in my lawn equipment anymore.

I drive old cars. I regularly drive 2 different trucks with carburetors and they don't seem to have problems. But the small engines with their super basic/tiny carbs seem to crap up in 30 days or less. But yeah, StaBil is a good suggestion.

joealso likes this.
  19. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

It is. I've learned my lesson. I pony up for a gallon of Trufuel whenever I'm at Lowes. Ain't cheap, but I'm not driving 20 miles for ethanol-free, and I'm not having to repair or replace my lawn equipment every season.

20. stratoblaster

Exactly what I bought yesterday. Along with a can of carb cleaner to blast out my little carb before I try it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.