Essential pedals for Soul

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ash Telecaster, May 11, 2020.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hi All,

Been invited to join a Soul band. I always liked the music but it hasn't really been my core. I am assembling my rig. Trying to decide between my Princeton Reverb 12" and Deluxe Reverb and figuring out what effect pedals I should have on my pedal board. I am trying to sound reasonably authentic.

Am grateful for your thoughts,

Thanks!

DaphneBlue and Mexitele Blues like this.
  2. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Well, if you already have tremelo and reverb then perhaps vibrato and a wah?

DaphneBlue and Ash Telecaster like this.
  3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

Phaser

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  4. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Compressor, Wah, a couple of od and a fuzz if the Soul becomes Funk Curtis Mayfield style, phaser, delay, reverb.
    A boost is always helpful...

5. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Also you could do this, Zoom g3 n for effects, and wah, od and drives in stomp box format, you can be fine without compressor and fuzz if you want.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  6. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

I'd say don't worry about pedals if you are trying to make an impression. It's far more important what and how you play. Most of the Stax/Muscle Shoals stuff was recorded with no pedals. If you play well, they won't care what pedals you use. A tele and either of your amps and you are good to go.

I would assume you've been given a song list. Start digging into those tunes. You are in for a treat. Get to know Steve Cropper, Cornell Dupree, and their incredible rhythm playing. Dig deep into their feel, get every little nuance that you can get. The parts need to be delivered with authority and swagger. And that's the fun of it. Cropper is the man!! Best of luck to you.

7. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

Amp choice there is a function of the size of your room/band, type of music, and desired volume. If the band is real loud and the room large, DR. Otherwise the Princeton. A DR gets pretty loud before it hits the sweet spot.

For classic pre-70s Soul, almost everything was clean, so a compressor to fatten and even out your tone would be nice. Reverb and/or delay for same. Me, I'd have some dirt and modulation along just in case and because I feel like it, but that's secondary. If by soul you mean Stax, Motown, Muscle Shoals, or James Brown-type stuff, guitar is mostly a rhythm instrument anyway. A multi-effect like the Zoom mentioned above will cover all the modulation or other sounds you need pretty well.

But in the old days, most guys wouldn't have any of these. Just guitar and amp.

8. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Wah, comp, and OD into a clean Silverface with reverb and tremolo is what I've used in a similar situation.

Soul music is so much fun. Break a leg!

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Not a lot I'd say!
    Maybe a nice EHX B9?

10. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

For soul and funk, less is more. Then the material will decide, for 60-70's soul, you don't need much, but if it's more modern soul, then wah, a good phaser, possibly a comp with dry/wet mix, a fuzz that cleans well, and if you're adventurous an envelope filter !

willie, 41144 and Ash Telecaster like this.
  11. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree TDPRI Member

1) Re amps, whichever of your two is loudest and cleanest, use that one, especially if you have a horn section - trumpet guys like to play loud sometimes. "Dead clean" settings always worked for me when I was playing in soul/R&B/funk horn bands; Roland JC and/or Peavey Bandit worked great for ultra-clean rhythms.

2) Gotta have a wah pedal. Dunlop Crybaby worked for me. Practice choked-strumming waka-waka rhythms with a metronome - try the intro to "Shaft".

3) I suggest an in-your-face distortion pedal for solos, rather than "tasteful" or "subtle" overdrive pedals. Like if you're playing EWF's "Shining Star", at the end of the chorus you need to shift instantly from clean rhythm to screaming lead. I used a Rat back in the day.

Have fun.

Ash Telecaster and 41144 like this.
  12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah if you've already got a nice tasteful tone, and reverb and trem, something that approximates a leslie sound would wrap all that up pretty nicely

Not essential. Just nice.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Ash Telecaster, DaphneBlue and E5RSY like this.
  13. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Soul music can be used broadly. To me, that means Muscle Shoals and Stax. If a band is strictly doing that music than they are more than likely pretty hardcore fans of the music and would appreciate the guitarist nailing the parts and tones on the original records. You don't need pedals for that. However, if you guys are doing stuff like Isley Brothers Sunny Day or Before I Let Go by Frankie Beverly & Maze, you would need some pedals to nail those tones.

Your pedalboard would be determined by the songs you do; whatever it takes to nail the sounds.

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

@pnutz will know..

envelope filter, phaser, fuzz, tuner and a wah should cover it all.

Ash Telecaster and Fretting out like this.
  15. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Listen to a lot of Eddie Hinton!

RJ

16. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

Envelope filter is definitely worth considering.

Otherwise just a comp and a dirt - maybe an od and a fuzz that can stack well, giving you 3 dirt levels.

Wah, but be careful with that.

17. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

As has been alluded to, a key upfront consideration is what "soul" you'll be playing. I played just 60s soul in a band and I played a telecaster plugged straight into a blackface Princeton and sometimes I would use a Rat pedal to fatten the guitar a little when I wanted to mimic horn parts on songs like Sweet Soul Music.

For 70s you'll need more stuff as discussed above.

18. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

Single coils, black face, Lee Jackson Mr. Springgy

And partial chords on the unwound strings
    :D:D:D

That's all I need. And an O.V. Wright t-shirt.

19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

None. Reverb, tremolo, chops, and a couple notches left on the volume knob for solos ;D

20. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hi,

It is definitely the Stax, Motown, Muscle Shoals, or James Brown-type stuff. I really appreciate the encouraging words. I'm really looking forward to it!

Learning Its a Mans World right now.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.