1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Esquires

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by marshman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been thinking about picking up a decent esquire, and doing a little reading. One thing I have noticed is that it's a very odd market. Being primarily interested in an actual Fender model, I find there are virtually no examples available at what feels like reasonable prices. Now, truthfully, not having actually bought a guitar for about 5 years, I am, quite probably, fairly out of touch with pricing, but I did pick up my lightly used mid-90s MIM tele for about $250 in 2014 or so, but prices for a used esquire seem to be minimum triple that...for that matter, used MIM teles are considerably higher than I anticipated. In any event, it definitely looks like I'm much more likely to find a nice tele and do a conversion myself.

Anyway, I guess what I'm asking isn't so much about value as why the value. First, I'm guessing that Esquires were never issued as 'standard', eg, they're all some sort of special edition. That, in turn, has implications for scarcity, which would also have impact on street cost. Am I missing some other aspect of single-pickup planks?

TeleAndSG likes this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

There have been factory runs of Esquires, but never in large numbers. They're just not that popular, and their lack of availability on the used market keeps prices up: the ones that do appear are quickly snapped up.

telemnemonics and donrichfan like this.
  3. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Yes it only has one pickup and most people see that and are confused. It does have a 3 way switch that actually gets that one pickup to do some cool things.

Also most of not all esquires have a route for a neck pickup. They came out around the same time as the broadcaster and now have reissue of the esquires. They’re pretty much a tele with one pickup. That’s why they are the same price tag.

4. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

+1 not that popular, and their lack of availability. I think they fall into a very narrow market which appeals to freaks like us. If you see a deal on one, snap it up. They're incredible guitars and far more versatile than they may appear. If you don't like it, you'd probably at least be able to break even.

Jim622, glenlivet and Peegoo like this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Ironically,

I just searched on reverb this morning for Esquires, just out of curiosity sake.

They're stupid expensive for what they are. An original is absolutely worth the price, but that's not what I'm talking about.
    Partscaster esquires go for as much or more than similar parted teles.
    There aren't beater squire models for low like strats.
    Remember those mid 2000s special release 1HB esquires? The Korean GT esquires are apparently fetching highway one prices, putting them barely lower than the sought after Japanese and Mexican stuff from the time. That's stupid. I get less were made, but the Aerodyne teles aren't going that high.

You go back 3+ years, they sold for what youd expect (or lower).
    One completed listing was $550 shipped for an 89 Japanese esquire. I'd kill for that price in 2020.

I dont follow those like I do the US standard teles and Japanese offsets from the 80s and 90s, but sometimes squires pop up, or partscasters, for cheap.

Given price trends, I'd buy a MIM tele in a boring color and make it an esquire. Or a bullet squier for less with less expectations.

You're not wrong, they're higher than makes sense.
    The limited releasing may have something to do with it. But the used market this year is way stranger than the last 2.

6. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps because Syd Barrett and Luther Perkins, among others, made legendary recordings with Esquires?, I suppose that may drive prices up :(

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You could bith the bullet and buy a Squier Esquire for very little scratch, and you may realize what a great value Squiers can be, if you are unfamiliar with the brand

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This, or just find any Tele you like (Fender, Squier or otherwise), remove the neck pickup, re-wire as you please, get a new pickguard and call it a day.

My Esquire started as an '80's Squier Tele that had been through some changes (someone added a Bigsby to it, changed the tuners, changed the string trees, the pickguard was changed at some point...). I found it on Craigslist for $150.

Another ~$150 in parts made it an Esquire, and that's only because I wanted to replace all the electronics, get a new pickup and upgrade the Bigsby with some Callaham parts, which was all cool but not really necessary.

A custom-appointed Esquire with Bigsby for $300? Can't beat it.

9. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Just buy a decent tele & parts & convert it into an Esquire. If you don't digg it, just change it back.

Not hard to do.

10. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

supply and demand

11. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I couldn’t find one either so built my own.

BBE24D41-3854-41FF-B32A-0B9C7B1454DF.jpeg

12. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This was my solution. One Squier CV 50, one wiring harness from RS Guitarworks (many other places will do the job maybe cheaper even; Mojotone, Stew Mac) or find the appropriate diagram and do it yourself.

myesq (2).png

Everything else is stock. I was really amazed at the sound of the pup and what it could do with that set up. Rocks out big time.

I had the harness in another guitar and it wasn't half as badass. Even the Eldred setting has a lot of note definition on this guitar.

I did rattle can the finish, not being a white finish kinda guy, but that came out good too.

Anyway it's a cheap way to check it out without frying your patience trying to find one ready to go, new or used. The CV can probably be found used also.

Oops you do need a PG

Good luck

13. marshman

I’ve had a few Squiers, and they’ve been hit-or-miss. I have never beer impressed with Korean made Fenders, so even though those GT series Esquires from the 00’s looked really cool, I never really found one I liked. For the purpose of this discussion I was really just curious about perceptions of the cost of Fenders, and if they really were very low production numbers which drive the market, as it were.

Part of the attraction, to me, was the fascinating adventure that was learning to use an Epi Valve Jr...that single knob amp was really challenging, and for the same reason an Esquire looks a reason to focus on the playing and not the settings.

I’ll be keeping my eye out for an MiM Tele.

oldfish likes this.
  14. marshman

Oh, and thanks for all the input & discussion.

tery likes this.
  15. marshman

I don’t know much about those guys, I think Dan Baird and Bruce Springsteen when I think Esquire.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  16. Guy Guyatone

Guy Guyatone TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Stew-mac has a dead-accurate bakelite Esquire pick guard for $37.

That, a rewiring, and a decent Tele are all you need to join the Esquire club.

17. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

+100 on making your own, just find a tele you like and buy the parts, this started out as a Squier standard I bought for about $40, none of the switches actually do anything as they're not connected, fun guitar to play and with vol and no load tone can cover a lot of ground.

upload_2020-10-28_23-5-39.png

bobk, TeleAndSG and SixStringSlinger like this.
  18. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Syd Barrett = founding member, original guitarist and main songwriter in early Pink Floyd. You can hear him in the band's 1967 debut, "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn".

Luther Perkins = guitar player for Johnny Cash. You can hear him in 1968's "Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison".

Both classic, but VERY different albums, which is a testament to the versatility of the Esquire (in spite of its single pickup).

And Bruce Springsteen, "the Boss", rules!.

Ghostdriver likes this.
  19. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've built several...they are way more versatile than most players think, like the one-P90 Les Paul Junior: it covers a whole lot of ground.

And because I like LP Juniors so much, this Esquire-like beast has a T90 pickup (two alnico bar mags on the bottom, steel screw poles, 8.2k).

[​IMG]

20. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So long as we're sharing...

Original (to me) state, and two different pickguards for two different looks (the easy switching being another perk of an Esquire).

0.jpeg

0-1.jpeg

0-2.jpeg

revcharles55, bobk and TeleAndSG like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.