1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Esquire Wiring? Can I do this?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Red Planet, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Position 1 No Volume and No Tone

Position 2 Volume Only

Position 3 Volume and Tone

Can I do it like this and how do I do it?

If someone would be so kind as to show me a drawing I would be most greatfult.

2. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

Is that the acoustic setting? :)

3. moonshiner

moonshiner Friend of Leo's

You'd need two hot wires coming from the output jack.. but.. I should be possible... I don't know why you'd want to do this.. volume pots don't color the sound THAT much...

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

I would say with these options it would make more sense to wire it uo without a 3 way switch and just use a 2 way toggle switch flip it one way and it has vol and tone flip it the other way and it bypasses everything.

Thats how I would do it.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

I think you guys misunderstood me.

Position one -- no volume no tone pickup direct to jack.

Position two -- volume control

Position three -- volume and tone control

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

This allows me to have a full up setting in the bridge position, a turned down setting in the middle position, and the same turned down setting with also the use of the tone control in the neck position.

I just dont know how to wire it up that way.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

8. JCollins

JCollins Tele-Holic

I believe the drawing on Fuzzy's site will still cause some interaction between the pickup and the volume pot, when in #1 position. Note that the output from the switch, in position #1, goes to the jack tip. The wiper lug of the volume pot (middle lug) also goes to the jack tip. The bottom lug of the volume pot (on the right) goes to ground. If the volume control is at its lowest point, the wiper lug of the volume pot goes to ground, thus shorting out the pickup, even when it is in position #1. As the volume control is raised, a variable resistance will be in parallel with the pickup. This will affect the sound.

What you really want to do, in position #1, is break the connection between the volume pot wiper and the jack tip, and substitute a direct link between the pickup and the jack tip. I have been unable to figure out how to do this and still get a tone control in position #3. (Well, a super switch would allow this.)

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Hmmmm. What to do. Here would be my question about what your saying. How much would it affect the sound if I only use the Volume Pot for Cleaning the signal up in the V/T and V Positions?

I do want the No Load sound from the PU in Position One.

What I am wanting to gain here is two slightly different Clean Sounds from position 2 and 3 and the full boar no load thang from position 1.

I would set the Volume down untill it Cleans up well and then use the addition of the Tone Pot to turn it slightly down and gain a little less edge. I should preface this by saying that I set my Amp for good Rythem Dirty Breakup then go down from there to clean up or go up by stepping on a pedal.

With one Guitar (one pickup), one pedal, and one amp I can pretty much cover the bases I need to cover. I'm trying to take the Minimalistic approach to all the bull and concentrate on playing. Of coarse all all the bases do have to be covered with a million dollar sound.

Anyway this is what I want to do with the switching on my geetfiddle I'm converting to an Esquire. Any help would be most appreciated.

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

I suppose if I couldnt have what I want I'd want two positions one with V/T and one without.

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

What I would do (which may not be what you would do) is wire it up as a regular Esquire and add a pull pot as the tone control. When pulled up, the pickup would go straight to the output jack. When down it would go to the three way switch.

12. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

I have a drawing for you

that shows this exact wiring scheme. I have been using it for three years on my Texas Esquire. email or pm me with your emaill addy and I will forward it to you.
    Rob

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

PM ed ya. Also Deaf Eddie sent me a drawing . He helped me figure out my Strat wiring a while back (making an S-1 and Super Switch do some non factory stuff).

I'm gonna try some out tonight and see what I can do with this. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Allright this wiring aint working.

The Volume affects the Bridge to much.

How about this?

Position 1 No Voulme / No Tone

Position 2 No Sound

Position 3 Volume Tone

Can this be done?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.