Esquire switch but no tone pot ala Gretsch "Mud" switch

DocHelliday

TDPRI Member
Hey sorry if this has been asked before.
But is there a way to wire up the CLR switch so that it's more like a Gretsch "mud switch?"
I don't want the tone pot, but I could use something like the bypass - 20% rolloff - 50% rolloff

Whenever I look at schematics it looks like pos 2 of the 3-way switch is always a "both" option, which would be waaaay too dark.

badscrew_projects

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Totally doable.

Just to double check: what you want is one volume and one 3 position switch that does full tone - 20% less tone - 50 less tone?

DocHelliday

TDPRI Member
Totally doable.

Just to double check: what you want is one volume and one 3 position switch that does full tone - 20% less tone - 50 less tone?
yeah basically
I don't really wanna mess with a tone knob live

just have some usable "preset" at the flick of a switch

DocHelliday

TDPRI Member
How would you go about doing this?

I've only really used Gibby style where it's on-both-on.

bebopbrain

Tele-Holic
You need an on-off-on type SPDT or DPDT switch where the common connection goes to your pickup and the top of your volume pot. You need a capacitor that connects to ground, maybe 33nf (0.033uF).

When the switch is off you have full tone.
In one on position, the switch connects a resistor (10K?) to the cap.
In the other position the switch connects the other resistor (100K?) to the cap.
You will have to play with the component values to dial in what you like.

It is possible a third resistor (1M or greater) always connected would reduce pops during the switch.

20221007_121303.jpg

DocHelliday

TDPRI Member
You need an on-off-on type SPDT or DPDT switch where the common connection goes to your pickup and the top of your volume pot. You need a capacitor that connects to ground, maybe 33nf (0.033uF).

When the switch is off you have full tone.
In one on position, the switch connects a resistor (10K?) to the cap.
In the other position the switch connects the other resistor (100K?) to the cap.
You will have to play with the component values to dial in what you like.

It is possible a third resistor (1M or greater) always connected would reduce pops during the switch.
Thanks!

So you can't use the standard CRL switch?

I had a DPDT switch before but could only get the janky mini ones from Fry's and those lasted all of like 3 gigs.
Was trying to see if the CRL could be in some way I'm not accounting for or something.

If I went to a 4 way switch instead of 3 do you think it's possible to get some kind of combination where I could at least get 2 tone roll-offs and a bypass
  • Position 1: volume only
  • Position 2: N/A
  • Position 3: 20% roll-off
  • Position 4. N/A
  • Position 5: 50% roll-off

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Pretty simple, and you can use the stock 3-way:

1665161052748.png

For cap values, you might try an .010uF for the smaller one, and a .033uF for the bigger one.
Smaller values = less treble rolloff; bigger values = muddier. Pick yer poison...

You can leave your tone pot connected to the volume (stock), OR you could just disconnect it.

OR, you could connect the tone pot to the top open lug on the switch:
1. Remove the jumper between the two pots.
2. Connect a lead from the lug on the tone pot that was connected to the volume pot and connect it to the top lug. That way, you a variable tone roll-off (the stock tone pot) and two fixed roll-offs, selectable on the switch. With a no-load tone pot, you'll have it all...

DocHelliday

TDPRI Member
Pretty simple, and you can use the stock 3-way:

View attachment 1037525

For cap values, you might try an .010uF for the smaller one, and a .033uF for the bigger one.
Smaller values = less treble rolloff; bigger values = muddier. Pick yer poison...

You can leave your tone pot connected to the volume (stock), OR you could just disconnect it.

OR, you could connect the tone pot to the top open lug on the switch:
1. Remove the jumper between the two pots.
2. Connect a lead from the lug on the tone pot that was connected to the volume pot and connect it to the top lug. That way, you a variable tone roll-off (the stock tone pot) and two fixed roll-offs, selectable on the switch. With a no-load tone pot, you'll have it all...
Thanks so much I think I already have the .033uF laying around

badscrew_projects

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
If you want what gretsch circuit is doing, replace these two caps by two resistors and the red wire by a cap (from the schematics above)

DocHelliday

TDPRI Member
If you want what gretsch circuit is doing, replace these two caps by two resistors and the red wire by a cap (from the schematics above
Are you saying replace the caps with resistors instead?
And
Add a capacitor in line with the wire leading to the volume control (red wire)?

Do you know the values?