Esquire project

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Greg9564, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Greg9564

Greg9564 TDPRI Member

Hi all
    My mil gave my daughter 19 years old a Disney Tele copy
    It’s been sitting in the cupboard unused so I decided to muck around with it and make an esquire out of it
    The pick guard will be ply with hammer tone paint
    I have the bridge it came with
    It has a barrel saddle for each string similar to the modern in idea both modern and ashtray type,I also have a modern tel bridge and an ashtray bridge
    2DA2D089-6D36-48E3-B6D4-E95644CECF8A.jpeg 0A0C7C97-9FA8-4732-A24A-FE4215B6CECF.jpeg
    The modern and ashtray type fit but I have a gap at the front were the bridge pickup fits
    thats ok as I can cover with the pick guard when I build it
    The 2nd picture is a mock up plan of pick guard style I will fit
    Can I get an opinion on which bridge to fit original, modern or ashtray
    Thanks
    Greg

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

Since it is going to be an esquire, my vote is the vintage ashtray style bridge. I know its supposed to be a "kid's" style guitar, but the vintage bridge just seems to look better to me for the project.

3. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'd use the original bridge. It looks kind of cool on there anyhow.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

If it's a string-through body, you're going to have to use the original bridge unless you pull the ferrules from the back, plug all the holes, and re-drill.

The ash tray style bridge won't put the pickup in the correct location and it probably won't properly intonate.

The easy fix, if you want to use the ash tray bridge, is to convert it to a top-loader. Nothing wrong with that at all. I have string-thru and top-load Teles and Esquires, and they all sound great.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Greg9564

Greg9564 TDPRI Member

I looked at all the bridges
    The ashtray was nice but was a huge gap to fill at the front with a pickguard and ended up polishing the original bridge I took each saddle off and greased the thread On them so much smoother to turn ,I took the old pickup out and fitted another pickup with a 6.8 rating instead (that’s what it says on the base)
    I took the pots and selector out and am thinking just buy new cts pots and a selector When I wore it up
    The sanding of the body is still going as I have to get more scratching paper
    I was using 120 grit but was clogging up so quickly

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Greg9564

Greg9564 TDPRI Member

Just an update on my esquire project
    ThE plastic paint yuck mix that was on the guitar body was horrendous
    I attacked it pretty brutally and ended up with a piece of wood you would find on a factory floor being swept up for rubbish
    And it looks cool
    Since the last time I have posted I have ,Stained the body with a walnut stain to show the grain then rubbed it back with 120 grit then rubbed the body with raw linseed oil twice one coat a day then let dry,Then rubbed linseed Oil, turps and shellac mix same again recoated every day then today I rubbed the body with a green scouring pad And a wax mixture I had made up and polished it with a flanno rag
    I am designing a pickguard on an esquire design but will use a piece of 3 ply wood painted grey hammer tone
    Tuners and electronic stuff to follow In a few weeks

Attached Files:

crazydave911, Macrogats and Veitchy like this.
  7. Greg9564

Greg9564 TDPRI Member

The grey hammer tone pickguard Didn’t work out
    I made a new one up at my local woodwork club out of 3 ply
    I will rub a walnut stain on the ply and then rub a furniture wax in to seal it,I also have to file it down a bit in the neck pocket
    I scribed around the shape of the pickguard and will route about 2mm down into the guitar body so it doesn’t sit so proud when I get some more shed time

Attached Files:

crazydave911 and Macrogats like this.
  8. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I love the natural look you’ve created there, especially on the sides as well. I use stains and dyes for natural finishes and just let them do their thing in the wood, so the sides look kinda tortoise shell style, rather than a solid colour. I’ll try and snap a couple of pics later.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Greg9564

Greg9564 TDPRI Member

Thanks macro
    You are right about the natural finish wood is a brilliant medium
    I finished routing the body this afternoon and have glued and screwed the pickguard in
    There was a bit of a gap between the body and pickguard when I finished fitting it so I mixed some pea glue ,wood filler and sawdust from the job and rubbed it in then got a damp cloth and cleaned it up
    I was very happy with the finish and will post a picture tomorrow ,I have ordered some Grover tuners to replace the original ones So that’s the next part then electrics to finish

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Greg9564

Greg9564 TDPRI Member

Here is the body and neck together
    As the pickguard is glued and screwed down I am debating whether to take the screws out and put some oak plugs in as a feature?
    Otherwise onto the head and re drill the tuner holes to fit the grovers that I bought

Attached Files:

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks somewhat similar to the Hannah Montana made by Washburn, especially the pickup route. That's not a knock, I liked the little guys :)

Dave

12. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

that is horrendous ... oh my.

I really like it!! nice job.

This thing is going to rock :)

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. Brendo

Brendo Tele-Holic

Looks like you're having a good time with it, Greg. They're pretty sturdy little guitars. The finish is good too. Keep the progress photo's coming.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.