1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Esquire project: need finish suggestions

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by El Tele Lobo, Mar 7, 2021.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I’m getting ready to start this esquire project this week. Originally, I had planned to do this with a transparent finish in Tru Oil… But looking at it now, it’s not the most attractive piece of wood, so I’m considering possibly doing a solid color finish… Maybe with wipe on poly. I don’t have the tools or a facility to do a spray finish. What do you guys think?

B0903FC2-D956-4F7E-98AA-80ACF7420B7C.jpeg 5C4C3723-AA04-4ACA-B21E-E6E7D2406215.jpeg DB330299-E04D-40C7-8B1D-AAE4BAF96A7D.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

I think u need to post pix

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

There's plenty of lacquer products available in spray cans. Everything from sanding sealer thru primer, color and clear.

4. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

It's not the same product as when Fender did it back in the 60s but you could always get some duplicolor aerosol cans and then from there spray on your choice of clearcoat. Lacquer from there or maybe a catalyzed poly.

5. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

I am a "Rattle Can Guy"! The Nitro Lacquer will set you back a few, but my Clear Coats I use Watco from Walmart, for under $10 a Can. Make yourself an all Lacquer Body! Tone will Resonate better than a Fender with 8-9 oz of Poly! Yuck!!

6. El Tele Lobo

Added...

7. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

What species of wood is it? Also, is that an epoxy fill on the front (that may limit a few options)?

8. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m a sucker for butterscotch blonde and Mary Kaye white, but I saw a vid recently of an all-black with black guard and gold hardware and it looked shaaaarp!

9. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

This one is Ash, and it is rubbed with speedball india ink. I tried wipe-on poly, but it reacted badly. Teak oil sealed it well. Tru oil would probably work as well. if you can get some of the same type of wood, and do some tests, it would be best.
    IMG_6697 copy.jpg

tvvoodoo, bumnote and El Tele Lobo like this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

Sorry...it’s pine. Not sure what the repair is.

paulblackford likes this.
  11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

As a start, wipe it with naphtha, that will give you a good idea what it will look like under a transparent finish like lacquer or maybe TruOil. You can decide whether you like it, if you don't look for something else.

12. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I used Dupli-Color on my last project, Dark Ming Blue Metallic. Spray can lacquer car finish..looks dark blue in sunlight, black in dim light. It worked great, it was my first time using something that wasn't Gracey's or Reranch...& I'd use this stuff again. There are HUNDREDS of colors available when you get away from the standard Fender/Gibson solid colors & since they're car finishes...hundreds of pics online to really get a good idea of what it'll look like in different lighting scenarios. I stopped using "guitar" spray can nitro a few projects back, I use Deft. It's significantly cheaper & is really easy to work with. Never had an issue with yellowing or clouding.

I live in an apartment & have done all my spray on finishes at home. You can buy a "tent" like thing to do it, I used large boxes from work. Covered the balcony floor w/ leaf bags, cut the box down the side to make it a wind shield, attach leaf bags to the top. Do a pass with the paint or lacquer, bring it inside and hang it up using an unwound wire hanger in between two small $20 space heaters to dry it & eliminate humidity & just keep repeating until done.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  13. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

That body looks great!! What's the issue? Haha

bender66 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  14. El Tele Lobo

Haha...maybe I’m overthinking it. Should I go Tru-Oil again?

Steve Holt likes this.
  15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Yep.
    Tru oil would be my choice. It just makes em look honest.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Holic

Be aware that the repair spot may not absorb color etc.., Paint that is opaque will be certain to
    cover it, where tints or dyes might not.

17. El Tele Lobo

Another option is I could do a burned wood finish like I did a couple projects back. It really pops the grain. Topped it with Tru-Oil.

18. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I love fender Custom colors like sonic blue and shell pink. So if it were mine that's what I'd be doing, but that body really is cool. Now if it was an 8 piece body all chunked together with knots cut off halfway I'd be telling you to go solid, but that's a really cool body with some neat figure.

19. El Tele Lobo

I should add...a wipe on finish is preferred. I suppose I could try a rattle can, but never used one...and don’t really have a proper place to spray.

It’s kinda getting down to Tru-oil or wipe-on poly unless someone has a really novel suggestion.

20. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

My vote is Duplicolor color coat. Do NOT use their clear finishes. They literally seem to never dry completely. I did Duplicolor with nitro and they are compatible. Another option is ReRanch, if not mentioned and I’ve had good luck with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.