Esquire pickup suggestions

d barham

Tele-Afflicted
Just picked up a Squier CV custom esquire from sweetwater. I really like it but would like to have more, bigger, slightly darker tone out of the pickup. It’s not bad as is, just kinda wanting to experiment. Thanks.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I have only tried a couple of PUs in my Esquire, but I find that I lean toward a hotter PU so that when I back off the tone or switch to the Eldred position the PU is still hot enough to drive the amp.

So, I personally am running a GFS Hot Lead Alnico, and I like it a lot. But is definitely not a dark PU.

esquire black.jpg

Cjteleforum

Tele-Meister
I have a Mojotone Broadcaster clone in mine and I am really digging it. "bigger, slightly darker tone" sounds about right for it. I would have gone for a Cavalier Nocaster Holy Grail, which is also a Broadcaster clone, but I didn't know about them at the time.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Probably not what you are looking for, but I put a Tele hot rail type in the bridge of one of mine, with a push-push coil split… it’s awesome.

It’s both the darkest and the brightest Tele style I own. And both settings really sound unique and good.

Spox

Tele-Meister
A Tele bridge sized take on a P90 could be an option, I have a set by The Creamery in one of my Teles.
If you're using a valve amp it'll drive it faster than a lower wind option, you lose a bit of the twange treble
but whilst darker it isn't muddy. I'm sure that US based winder will have the same option available, Fralin Steel Pole being an example.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Get something tapped, cavalier has great options. I have an esquire wired with a 4 way, the cocked wah and a mini toggle for the tap. It’s very functional. The pickup is a Q 5/2 but I don’t remember the resistance values.

I would gets rob(cavalier)s ‘**** of the walk’ nocaster hot wind whatever he calls it and then a cooler wind below it if it was me. I’d probably get a2 magnets too.

I’d use my fulltone fullbost in front of the esquire first to fatten it up and roll a little treble off in the meantime. The fat boost is made to order for what you want.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Another great idea. I considered doing that but I’m trying to move away from the “Swiss army knife” concept.
There is nothing Swiss Army knife about it. It’s all esquire. I have a vintage wired esquire as well With a lollar vintage style bridge pickup no tap and they are both very much the same breed. They both operate under pretty much the same fairly narrow parameters

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Holic
There is nothing Swiss Army knife about it. It’s all esquire. I have a vintage wired esquire as well With a lollar vintage style bridge pickup no tap and they are both very much the same breed. They both operate under pretty much the same fairly narrow parameters
I get it and fully agree. Just not for me anymore.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Before you change hardware, the tone might already be there. Guitar tone and volume down, amp up.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
DiMarzio Pre B-1. A bit fatter and darker than a regular Tele pickup, P-90ish, ballast but cleans up when you back off the volume, perfect for rock, perfect for an Esquire.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I've been Esquiring for about... Wow... Um, not quite 20 years now. In the first say, 10 years, I went through probably 15-20 bridge pickups. I think it was about 9-10 years ago that I had Rob wind me a dual Lion - the Nashville and the Fat Lion winds. That pickup ended the quest. The winds are different, but they both handle individual amps differently. That's good or neutral depending on what you want. I recently built a partscaster, and Rob wound me a pickup in between those two. So far, it's nailing everything I want. One pickup. One volume knob. All I really need. For your purposes, I would say the Fat Lion is chunkier than typical stock tele pickups, and a little darker, but with very decent articulation.

EDIT: specificity.