Esquire no more....Re-Tele'd my Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tele salivas, Sep 20, 2015.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Well, after a few years in Esquire land, I rewired Ol' Scratch back to its original telecaster scheme. Ol' Scratch is a 2004 MIM I bought new. Something I could mess with, do modifications, customize. Kept it stock for a couple years cause it sounded good that way. But went mini-humbucker on the neck. Then I got classic style bridge with steel saddles around a '62 AVRI pup. Fantastic! Then I heard this cocked wah sound from an Esquire and I thought, "I play the bridge pup almost exclusively on this Tele, and I got other guitars to cover the neck sound. I'm Esquiring this sumgun!"

And I did.

I got RS Guitrworks cocked wah Esquire kit, which made a difference in the richness and clarity of sound with nicer wiring, switch and jack. And even though the '62 AVRI pup is low output, it sounds great as an Esquire platform. Country as hell. I really went to town with my hybrid pick/finger-pickin style, and the cocked-wah revealed itself to be great for chord work. It was like glue in a band mix.

Then I got a little jones.

I went to Guitar Center to pick up a new pot for my pedal steel's volume pedal. And of course the inevitable. It's almost impossible not to take a little time and stare at "the Wall". And you know what you got to do after that. I pulled a couple Teles.

Was Midnight Ramblin' on a good old '52 RI tele neck pup (modern wiring scheme) through an Ampeg Gemini IV they had in the used area. 15" speaker! Man did that sound good. Then I tried this really nice used '72 Custom (natural ash finish with black pickguard-WideRanger humbucker. a beauty) and the middle selection just popped a great jangle, especially with the Tone controls knocked down a good ways through a Princeton Reverb. I could approximate the cocked wah sound quite well with thumb strumming and low-tone control.

I went back to playing the '52 RI through the Princeton. I was the only one in the store for quite some time and got to play a little and that yearning came back. I got some Fender Bullet Nickels in .10, went back home, and rewired my guitar back to its original wiring scheme. And my original neck pup (Alnico V, a little higher output) still worked after being knocked around in an old-parts drawer for about 7 years. A little solder and some hot wire and I had a full on classic Tele again .

Nice little scenic route through several T-style incarnations over the last decade, but I think I'm back to stay.

2. Punk Blues

Punk Blues TDPRI Member

What kind of minibucker did you have in there and is it for sale? I'm looking for a neck minibucker.

3. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I used an Artec firebird style. It was actually a bridge pickup I originally bought for a lapsteel, but I got curious and used it in the neck position. I sat it real low and it worked great. I don't know if it's exactly what your looking for, but you can PM me if your interested.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.