Esquire Lockdown Project

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Muckyboots13, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Muckyboots13

Muckyboots13 TDPRI Member

Bought one of the first UK FSR CV Esquires last year and took to the idea of blinging it up a little during lockdown. Started with a bakelite scratchplate and got a little carried away! Now loaded with a Rose Buckaroo Alnico 3 and an old Trix tone wiring loom, brass saddles and some various Fender bits and bobs. Got rid of the poly finish on the neck which now makes for a an authentic roadworn vibe to it without looking too forcibly relic’d elsewhere. Having real fun with this one. Anyone else done anything to theirs?

BR
    MB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    KS6V, Erebia, tery and 8 others like this.
  2. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Very nice. On my FSR VW Esquire I have done the following mods:

• Black scratch plate (I switch it up with the white one every month or so)
    • Domed knobs (they look so much nicer)
    • Compensated brass saddles
    I dont think I need to sand the neck in all honesty but it sounds like it's a nice mod. One day I may change the PuP but right now it's a pretty flexible pickup with my Marshall amp so there is no need to. It excels at lead work which is what I do the most. Rolling the mids and lows up can fatten it up really nicely to give it more of a P90 vibe for rhythm.

3. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Looks great!

Muckyboots13 likes this.
  4. Muckyboots13

Nice, yes I thought the stock pick up was pretty decent although I have heard subsequent moans from others who reviewed it. I only changed it as I had the Rose pick up already. Changing to brass saddles makes for an ever brighter chime I think, which is to my liking. Nothing wrong with the standard neck finish imho either, just that owning a Fender RW strat I have really taken to the unfinished wood vibe as opposed to a lacquered one.

BR
    MB

Attached Files:

puddin and guitarist232345 like this.
  5. Muckyboots13

Hej one negative thing of the MII CV’s is I have noticed is the tuning pegs sit a little higher than MIM or US tuners, so the string can sit quite high on the peg if you only have a few winds. This could cause a lack of string break tension on the lower strings. Recommend you wind a little more of the strings onto the E-G strings to maximise string tension.

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  6. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

I did a few changes too. Recently had some down time, minor neck surgery. I changed the those wonky saddles, to fender brass.
    Changed out pickup, to my don mare 0038, and a set of 10's with a wound g. Complete setup and lowered the action a bit. Very pleased with the results. Cheers..

thumbnail_IMG_0790.jpg

KS6V, Muckyboots13, tho618 and 5 others like this.
  7. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Dropped a Seymour Duncan BG 1400 in there, everything else is stock. Gonna keep it like it is.

puddin, Erebia and FortyEight like this.
  8. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

I like my FSR Esquire and changing the strings is the only thing I've done with the guitar so far. However, I'm about to turn it into a Telecaster.:p I was going to mod my AO 50s Tele with a Mastery bridge and 'loaded pickguard' from a custom shop Nocaster that I bought last year but ended up selling the guitar instead. That has left me with an Esquire and a bunch of quality parts that I'd like to make use of. To that end, I've just bought a Vintera 50s Tele body and now have all the components to put together a Partcaster consisting of:

Vintera 50s body
    Handwound pickups, pickguard and hardware (control plate with pots, etc.) from a Custom Shop Nocaster
    Mastery bridge
    FSR Esquire neck

I will keep the Esquire-minus-neck which I could either reunite with the neck at a future date or sell as a loaded body. The sensible thing to do would be to buy another neck for the Partscaster and keep the Esquire intact but I don't want multiple Telecaster type guitars and I like the neck on the Esquire enough that I want it to be the neck on my only Tele type guitar. I did in fact at one point consider buying another FSR Esquire just for the neck but that seemed unnecessarily extravagant and would still leave me with two Telecaster type guitars.

guitarist232345 and puddin like this.
  9. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Me!

I always liked Keith's "Micawber", so I decided to make that my quarantine theme.

I pretty much replaced everything but the neck and body.

American control plate and components.

Neck PU Les Paul 57 Classic.

Bridge PU fender Vintage Original.

Chinese brass saddles.

Unknown Pick Guard. (Don't remember).

Electro socket

I also de glossed the body and put a Fender decal on it, and redid the neck with some linseed oil.

[​IMG]

10. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have a first generation CV50 trans white that I turned into an Esquire. The only mods were an appropriate pg and I rattle canned the finish (not a white finish guy) with a chartreuse color. The wiring harness was a RS Guitarworks with a reverse switch plate.

The original pup is fantastic for this mod. I was surprised but it really rocks.

myesq (2).png

Erebia and puddin like this.
  11. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

Here's my Double Esquire as mentioned above. I finally got around to putting it all together and I'm pretty happy with it. The body colour is far from my first choice but it was being sold at a good price. A black pickguard wouldn't be first choice either but I already had it.

double-esquire.jpg

Muckyboots13, puddin and KS6V like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.