1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Esquire Conversion - I'm Confused

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by studio1087, Feb 10, 2020.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ Eldred mod is good, but I found I liked the Arlo Cocked Wah mod better :)

Deaf Eddie and studio1087 like this.
  2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Thanks everyone. Thanks very much. I’m going to fix it this evening. Band practice is Thursday. I appreciate the help!

John

ukepicker likes this.
  3. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

thank you Sir..

4. studio1087

Still confused. This is how it’s wired now. Can you guys tell me specifically what to change? This should be simple. I’m not sure what’s wrong. Thanks very much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I can't make out the details in the newer pics of the switch - but in the picture of the populated control plate you showed in post #16, it looks like the positive (white pushback wires) are not run to the right contacts on the switch. The one going to the volume pot needs to connect to the two outside lugs and the one going to the tone pot needs to connect to the second lug. (or third lug?)

I could be wrong, I'm no expert. I wanna do what I can to help before rehearsal tomorrow night!!
    Good luck!

6. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

aaa.png

SnidelyWhiplash and studio1087 like this.
  7. studio1087

Gentlemen,

It all works perfectly now and I’m so excited to play it.

Sincere thanks for the advice and pictures and help.

Much gratitude,

John

8. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Glad you got it up and running!
    How's it sound?

(congrats on the new soldering iron too - I may need to trade in my harbor freight $3 special to get me some LEDs!)

studio1087 likes this.
  9. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Happy to s another Esquire convert , you should never go back !! Enjoy that Esquire to the max !!

studio1087 likes this.
  10. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

Cropper brings me here ... one day I will be at this destination. There's just *something* about single-PU guitars. Love yours!

studio1087 likes this.
  11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Glad it's working - but it's not a traditional Esquire. This is the original Esquire wiring:

jeff-beck_esquire-007.jpg

And this is the Eldred mod: Mike Eldred Esquire wiring.jpg

There are other mods you can do to make an Esquire more practical, as the standard 3rd position is essentially mud (even a single fixed cap like your prewired rig produces a muddy tone that was meant to take the place of a bass or "double" an upright bass). Your prewired setup tries to remove some of that by using a .02uf tone cap, but that has little - if any - effect at the upper end of the control's travel. It simply limits how much treble can be removed if you roll the tone control all the way back - which would make little sense anyway.

But I'll ask this - do you understand what cap values mean in a tone circuit and what affect there is on the position of the tone control (related to sound?)

There are excellent stacked-coil pickups found on eBay (Q pickups makes ones with excellent clarity that are inexpensive; I've had poor luck with Duncan's stacked Tele bridge pickups, which IMO have a dull tone).

You can use a 4-way switch and/or a push/pull or toggle to give you a much wider range of tones than the stock (or your purchased) wiring.

Also note that the switch on your prewired rig is different than the one on the vintage Fender diagram. One shows a Centralab (arranged the same as an Oak Grigsby) switch; the Mike Eldred mod shows a modern Fender switch - note that the positions of the tabs on each side of the switch are reversed.l And, as you found, the cheap inline switch is completely different!

This is why it's important to understand physical differences between switches and be able to read schematics. If you can read a schematic it makes no difference which type of switch you have at all.

And you could have saved a bunch of money by wiring it up yourself - a new control plate (the cheap imports have differently spaced holes), upgraded switch and two new full size pots (the tiny ones are poor quality) - plus a few caps and resistors and a little wire cost FAR less than a prewired setup. Plus you learn how t actually work on your guitar, not just install a prefab bunch of stuff you don't understand.

There are plenty of books you can buy that explain guitar wiring - but I'd suggest learning basic electronics first so you'll comprehend schematics - "diagrams" are limited and won't get you very far, especially if you ever decide to work on your own amplifiers.

Good luck!

Lake Placid Blue and studio1087 like this.
  12. studio1087

It sounds good and it’s fun and interesting to work with some simple controls and get lots of sounds as we practice. I like Jr’s and I like Melody Makers. Sometimes less is more and it’s great how much “less” can make you think and focus more. I love Telecasters. This is great fun. I’m glad I did it. I’m glad that I was able to troubleshoot it with forum help. We cover a lot of Petty and REM so the tones fit very well. All good stuff.

ukepicker and WingedWords like this.
  13. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

can i ask what that little cap does from the switch grounded to the pot? thanks

14. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I'm a very recent convert to the Esquire club. I took the easy way and had one of James' Home of Tone super neat wiring harnesses. I'm constantly surprised by the range of sounds available. Including a reminder of the variety from basic stuff like picking at different points of the string. IMG_1460_1024x1024.jpg 20200213_113740.jpg

Lake Placid Blue and studio1087 like this.
  15. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

Of course the easiest way to do it is to simply cut off (at the solder points) the neck pickup and you will then have a kill switch option. You will have the bridge pickup working. Between the tone pot and the amp you should still get a variety of tones. Then add an Esquire pick guard and you are in business for little or no cash added. SX tele to esquire conversion .jpg

WingedWords likes this.
  16. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Yes, this was my first step, to see how I got on. Didn't even unscrew the pickup for the first few days until I got a new scratchplate.

17. ELET Henry

ELET Henry Tele-Meister

I Love the Eldred Esquire circuit and have used it on a couple of my Esquire parts casters. On one of them I’ve made things a bit more versatile by using a pickup tapped at about 7k and 14k via a pull/push switch on the volume control.0

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.