Esoteric Skills

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Jul 10, 2020.

1. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you could do that, no telling what you could be up to.

Steerforth and tubegeek like this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I can empty a room without making a sound.

Torren61, Jlwctn, Steerforth and 2 others like this.
  3. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I can literally clap with one hand (and I know what literally means), and besides that, I have spent a lifetime pursuing the Aristotelian ideal of actualizing my potential. I stand in awe of those who have been more successful than me, and I live to pursue them in their successes. It's why I'm a member here with all of you.

Steerforth, Harry Styron and tubegeek like this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The first year of my apprenticeship I was paired with an old Polish blacksmith who survived Auschwitz... being a catholic saved him... he told me some stories he told no others....

I was the only kid in the place who learned to work the forge and was often sent over there to do jobs by myself....

I learned more about metal/welding in that year from him than anyone else I've ever worked with.... and I'm the only one I know who worked a blacksmith forge as a job ...

5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

It's an idiom that means you were caught with evidence of a crime right out in the open. The red seen on the hands would be blood I guess.

tubelectron and Steerforth like this.
  6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I found this US Forest Service bench mark right when I was expecting to find a surveyor’s corner pin. It was not shown on the USGS quad.
    upload_2020-7-10_21-6-52.jpeg

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A wacko timberframer using primarily 19th century tools, creative welder and eccentric inventor, I can build anything that I can imagine in my brain. I also play the Native American flute. I have pondered building a full size trebuchet in our Meadow, but just don't let Mrs. Obsessed know until I complete the kitchen. IMG_4005.JPG IMG_4028.JPG Y

24 track, moosie, tubelectron and 7 others like this.
  8. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

does sit on ass all day count as an esoteric skill?

GoldDeluxe5E3 and Steerforth like this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

You can't be Homer Simpson ...

He blows up the plant ...

Mr. Burns gets angry when this happens...

GoldDeluxe5E3 and Steerforth like this.
  10. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can make the air around me smell bad.
    I can tell jokes, and nobody but me laughs.
    ...And, as I can do both at the same time, it seems I can do multi-tasking, so that makes me multi-talented...wow.
    I have the ability to be able to sit at the only empty table in fairly crowded rooms. But often, someone a bit like myself will join me, and it usually doesn't take all that long, just a drink or two, before they will declare me their best friend, and keep repeatedly saying it....But strangely, only a few days later, If I bump into them again, they tend to have forgotten me and not act like a best friend -:confused: strange that - very weird.... Now if that isn't an esoteric skill, then I don't know what one is.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    tubegeek likes this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

After my parents divorced, my mother "raised" us and my father didn't always have the child support check there when it was supposed to be there. Often times the refrigerator wasn't well stocked. When there doesn't seem to be anything there that could be a meal, I can put together something seemingly from nothing.

I've always been a good shot with any firearm despite long breaks from weapons and failing eyesight. I seem to have an above average knack at putting the bullet where I want it to be.

I have collected a modest "thank you" vocabulary. I can say "thank you" in over twenty different languages. I figured if I could only learn one thing to say in another language, "thank you" would be the most useful.

I'm pretty good at "Jeopardy" and often times I know the answer without knowing how I know.

Here's some "woo" for you. Although it's weaker than it used to be, I have a bit of precognitive abilities. These include dreams of things that are going to happen (I wish I could pull up the lottery numbers) or thinking about obscure subjects only to have them referenced later or tuning into what someone is thinking. For example, while working this afternoon, I was thinking about Fredo Corleone and the whole Godfather scene where he's telling Michael that he's smart and not dumb like everyone says. Later this evening, on the radio there is a reference made to Fredo Corleone.

I've dreamed about a co-worker wrecking his prized 1965 Ford pickup truck and finding out the next day that he blew his engine the previous night. I know it's not EXACTLY the same thing as wrecking his truck but the basic concept was the man, his truck and a problem with his truck.

I was washing my car while my wife was holding our dog and as I made my way around the vehicle, I stopped and looked at my wife and said "Tim Tams" (a chocolate cookie common in my wife's native Australia). Her jaw dropped and she asked me why I said that. I didn't know why. She said "I was thinking of Tim Tams right when you said "Tim Tams".

When I was married to my ex-wife, whom we refer to as b-face, she was telling me about a girl friend of hers and a guy she was dating and my ex was arguing that her girl friend didn't care what a guy looked like. "She doesn't care what a guy looks like as long as he's nice and funny. Why, he could look like...", I looked at her and said "Fred Flintstone?". She was gobsmacked. "OMG! That's EXACTLY who I was gonna say!"

Anyway, some of you are thinking "Yeah... riiiight." and some of you are thinking "wacko" and some of you are thinking "I TOTALLY believe him!". It's late and I have to crash. Good night. Okay, to the one guy thinking of me in my underwear... stop it!

tubegeek likes this.
  12. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

I can fart In a gadda da vida ......especially after White Castles and a few Diet sodas.

Obsessed and tubegeek like this.
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I can make my own guitar pickups from scratch (well, I buy the wire and the pole pieces). I even built the winder. Not very impressive around HERE, but in the real world, "normal" people are amazed...

I'm also a very effective public speaker, though as an introvert, I don't really want to chat with you about it afterwards.

14. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I can confuse people.

tubegeek likes this.
  15. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can eat a packet of doritos in one sitting.

tubegeek likes this.
  16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I am a really good at hand sewing. Years of country, tunnel and mine works in the middle of nowhere. I had to fix my own things... talked to grandmas and learned how to do it well

And the most important skill: I can spot assholes at the first sight

Engine Swap, tubegeek and moosie like this.
  17. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Ah, OK - I think I see, @Steerforth - Thanks ! :)

[​IMG]

The French equivalent - or rather variant - of Lofting would be more or less the Géometrie Descriptive. I did this at university in metalwork and boilermaking. It requires and excellent 3D and proportional view skills, and yes indeed : it's not a so common competence... :confused:

[​IMG]

-tbln

tubegeek likes this.
  18. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Ah, OK @tubegeek ! ;) - Pris en flagrant délit in French.

-tbln

tubegeek likes this.
  19. Bendyha

Huh....what do you mean?

tubegeek and johnny k like this.
  20. Bendyha

I was wondering what the German word was, I should have have heard/known it because one of my sons has an engineering degree in ship building, but can't think of a suitable fit, I must ask him....
    Loft can mean to throw, and the German word for throw is Wurf or Werfen. The German word for shipyard is Werft, and the word for Design is Entwerfen. But a word for the action of scaling-up and transferring to the Drawing Floor : Reißboden, I can't think of.

tubelectron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.