ES-335 Vintage Pickup Suggestions

jcarter0032

TDPRI Member
Hi there everyone, hope you're all having a good day out there. I am just posting to see what pickups you all like in your ES-335 or similar style guitar. So far from my research, I am really liking the sounds of the Mojotone 59' Low wind and the Tone Specific Bloombuckers. The Gibson 57 classics are on the list too but not at the top. Any other recommendations would be great and also if you have any input on the ones I've mentioned. Generally I just want something with great clarity, but also can get nice and dirty with gain.

jcarter0032

TDPRI Member
I just ordered Bare Knuckle Mike’s after doing the same comparison search. Considered Duncan Antiquitys as well, but decided to go with the BK pickups.
I'll give them a look! Never played any NK pickups but I hear they're phenomenal.

monkeybanana

Tele-Afflicted
I personally like low wind with weaker magnets for PAF style humbuckers. The cool thing about uncovered pickups is you can swap different magnets. It’s just more clear since I play clean half the time.

The Burstbuckers that came with my “50s” LP weren’t bad and are wound right in the middle range. But I’m leaving my own DIY low wind pickups in it :)

But really you just gotta try some before spurting.

superbadj

Poster Extraordinaire
I would have gotten Antiquity pups but they now cost as much as the Bare Knuckle pups, and I wanted to give those a try.

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
the bloom buckers seem interesting, but after I saw what they did with the whole Virgil arlo reissues, I will never buy a thing from them. A reissue of a $500 set a pickups, not even wound by the same person at well over the original price. A set of reissue VA pafs , wound by tone specific for $ 1,863.00? Ya……NO!

Glad I have the real deal, and did not pay reissue prices….I could not afford that. The original VA‘s were special. Bummer they are not available anymore.

BlueCajun

Tele-Holic
I can't say how they sound in a semi-hollow body, but I love the SD Antiquities in my Les Paul. I suspect they woud sound good in a 335 as well. Good luck!

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Low wind, low output and quality components. ES-335s do not work well with any type of high output or higher gain pups. Personally I'd stick with brands like Lollar, Klein, ThroBak, Jim Wagner, Tone Specific and others in this class of build quality.

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
I love the original T Tops in my old ES345. Clarity and jangle and plenty of bite when driven but can also be jazzy and warm.

I’d be looking at lower wound Alnico II.. something low on the output range.

But first.. what is wrong with what you have?

Don’t discount Tonerider Alnico II or IV Classics.. I’ve simply stopped buying more Seymour Duncan and Bare Knuckles since trying some of them in my Gibsons

Last edited:

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
But first.. what is wrong with what you have?
This is more than an innocent question. This is wisdom in disguise, as anyone who has ever swapped pickups in a 335 will tell you. If you don’t know what I am talking about, you certainly will by the end of the project. Spoiler Alert: Not your typical remove-and-replace operation, akin to reading by braille.

Unionjack515

Tele-Afflicted
It’s been hit or miss for me with 335s because of the mid-focused EQ 335s have. I like the Lollar Low-Wind Imperials and my go-to is a custom wound set of Haeussel 59s. I’ve found that with either set, 50s wiring is paramount—even more so in the 335 than in a Les Paul—and also giving different pickup heights a good run-through to tame those mids a little.

Mekhem

Tele-Afflicted
MHS - if you can find them or SD Antiquities.

i would also recommend checking your pots to verify that they are in spec and have the sweep you want. The MHS pickups definitely like the 550 pots with some extra room to be in spec.

RnB

Tele-Meister
I swapped out Shaws for ThroBak SLE-101'S. A lot richer sounding than Shaws. Luv the neck pup...!

javacody

TDPRI Member
Gibson is shipping T type pickups in their 335s, now. At least some models. Those are lower output than PAFs.

They say that 490s are basically the same as T Type but just need a magnet swap.

Might be a fun experiment.

Also, removing the cover for a magnet swap is trivial.