1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ernie ball strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CHUCKHDTV, Jan 27, 2014.

1. CHUCKHDTV

CHUCKHDTV Tele-Holic

What about those Ernie Ball strings make a lot of big names use them. I've looked at a couple of rig rundowns lately and it looks that it's EB all the way.

Are they that good or it's just player endorsement? If that's the case, it works cause I just bought 2 sets of regular slinky 10-46 to give it a try.

Posted from my iThing using TDPRI

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i use the hybrid slinkies 9-46

i never had a problem with them. Im not that particular with strings, I use EB, Duncan, Boomers, and D'addario depending on the price.

To me new strings are more important than what brand. Thats probably why people like Brad paisely use them if they are free they can change them every two days if they want.

Mine last about 2 weeks-1 month (depending how much i play) before i have intonation/tuning issues, or they just loose their snap/twang/brightness.

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

+1 hybrid slinkys. Feel good, sound good, inexpensive, and readily available.

4. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

All of the above.

5. Fender Bob

Fender Bob Tele-Meister

They make a good product that can be found at almost any outlet at a reasonable price.

6. superfuzz03

superfuzz03 Tele-Meister

They're good enough for me, I go through around 2 dozen sets of Regular Slinkys per year, never had a bad set and rarely break them.

7. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

I tried lots of brands before I settled on Slinkies, Super (9-42) on my Strat and Tele and Regular (10-46) on my Epi LP. I liked the feel of them, they held their tune well and sounded clear and sharp. I have since gone over to the Cobalt versions of both and find they are even better in all respects and keep their sound quality for a lot longer. They do cost more but I don't seem to have to change them as often. The Cobalts are softer than the normal slinkies so you have to be careful when fitting them as they seem to kink more easily. I even use EB strings on my acoustic.

8. Telebrian

Telebrian Tele-Meister

I always buy ernie balls. Been getting them on ebay for under$4/pack.

9. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Used Ernie Ball Slinkys for over 30 years.. Started using Boomers 9's & 10's when I bought my first Tele and the salesman threw a few packs in the case. The store sells them 3 packs for the price of 2 so I've been sticking with them for most guitars. Use Dark Horse Nickle's on my P90 Fano & Tele Deluxe..

10. fender62custom

fender62custom Tele-Holic

I'm into the Cobalts...10-46 for my Fenders & 11-48 for my Gretsch gits!! the Super Slinkys are great too.

11. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Holic

Classic rockers from EB or GHS Nickel Rockers. Either one.

Both are great nickel strings, and made in the USA>
    R

12. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Love Regular Slinkys! :cool:

13. chumpchange

chumpchange TDPRI Member

pinky slinkys for me.

14. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I fell for Guitar Center's string club a few months ago. Pay $20 and get $60 worth of stings over a 12 month period. It gets me in there each month, so I know what they're doing. My December $5 went for a package of Slinkys. Haven't used them yet, but looking forward to trying them.

My January $5 went for some D'addario "balanced" strings. They're supposed to intonate up and down the neck on their own. I'm going to try these first. For February, I'm going to get some acoustic strings. I break even this month.

15. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm the odd man out here; EB strings are basically like glue under my hands - I stick to them like crazy.
    My hand chemistry, it seems, dislikes them with prejudice.
    D'Addario and Markley are the brands that I seem to get along with very well.

BTW: Telepi - that's not the concept for the Balanced Tension D'Addarios. What they did was play with the individual gauges of the strings in order to come up with, for instance, a new set of 9s which feels all the more 'even' in tension across the board. So, in that case, the 9 sets goes to a .040 low E (rather than .042 for their regular 9 set).
    They can make a noticeable difference - whether that's to someone's liking or not is another matter... but it's just to make them feel more equal versus string size... the overall poundage load is a few lbs lighter on the BT 9s, but the 10s actually go slightly the other way if I remember right...

16. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

STHB for me. Been using them for a year or so & have settled in with them.

17. chumpchange

chumpchange TDPRI Member

i use ghs boomers on my jazz.

18. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Thanks Steve. That makes more sense. I probably misunderstood what my sales person said.

19. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Been using them since the sixties............

I've tried other brands over the years but always go back to the good old EB's as they have that "twang" I'm looking for........ I tried a set of the cobalt EB strings but I didn't like the way they felt and it seemed to me like the windings were more rough than the regulars. I use the 9-42 on my Strats and Teles, the 9-46 hybrids on my 335 style guitars and the 10-46 sets on my Les Paul and SG style guitars.........JH in Va.

20. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Slinky 10's and Power Slinky 11's have always worked for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.