Erix Brotherhood Build 2022 = Pack Up The Pieces

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Ok, I'm in!

This might be a tough one to finish on time as we are in the process of packing up shop and moving to a different state. We've got to get our house ready to sell, which means cleaning/painting/packing/showing and I don't know how long I'll have a space to work in here. Compounding matters is a TOUGH housing market in the new city and I don't know if we'll be able to find something that I can work in. We may have to rent for a while with all my stuff packed away. YIKES!

I've made some nice friends here and I will miss them. One of them has gifted me many beautiful pieces of wood over the years. "Too fancy for the stuff I make." he says. So this build is going to be a gift for him and his wife and will be made of drops from wood he has given me.

I'll start with these chunks of walnut. They're 2" thick and dry but they have issues (knots, stains, a split in one end, etc...) I'll have to piece something together to make a body blank of adequate size.
IMG_2737.jpg

Still not enough meat - I'm gonna add some paduak strips between them. These will be the "In case you missed it" lines on the multi-part body.
IMG_2738.jpg

Squared up the stock and started a multi-day glue-up.
IMG_2739.jpg

Next day, ripped the paduak thinner and cut slots in the end with a dado blade.
IMG_2745.jpg

Plus signs!
IMG_2746.jpg

I used T2 for this.
IMG_2747.jpg

Next day ripped new edges on the joined parts and glued on more paduak.
IMG_2748.jpg

And the day after that did the same drill with a rip and a dado.
IMG_2749.jpg

Scary blade...
IMG_2750.jpg

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Time to lay out the body. I had thought I was going to work around one of the splits by wrapping the lower horn around it...
IMG_2790.jpg

But it is a nasty split and I fear the horn could break off - nobody wants to see that!
IMG_2791.jpg

The crack goes all the way to the glue line...
IMG_2792.jpg

Change of plans! Spin the template around and put the crack on the butt side where it will be easier to hide (or feature!) a repair.
IMG_2793.jpg

This will help me avoid the light wood on one edge too.
IMG_2794.jpg

To the bandsaw!
IMG_2795.jpg

After planing to final thickness (1.5" in this case), that crack is nasty!
IMG_2796.jpg

I think it'll work out though as this is going to be a full hollow build.
IMG_2797.jpg

This is the back side. After hollowing out, this will be .25" thick and the wood is still solid here.
IMG_2798.jpg

Lots of holes to drill....
IMG_2799.jpg

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
One of these boards will be the top. This was a 10' x 7" wide x 7/8" maple board with flame all the way through. I got enough wood for five tops and two necks out of it. Another gift.
OAVQ0128.jpg

The top, a maple neck blank with some wild bubbly flamey figure - it looks like water - and a pice of some kind of rosewood or bocote or cocobolo or something. All gifts. Thanks Bob!
IMG_2800.jpg

If I can't get a neck made in time I will use this neck I made for my last build - still unfretted and unfinished but ready and willing. I didn't get this wood from my neighbor though so.... I'd rather not use it for this build.
IMG_2801.jpg

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Thanks! This is kinda fun building with scraps.
Finally got the body roughed out. Have to make a new template AND a new base for router to span the template before finishing this up.
IMG_2806.jpg

Time for the top to get some attention. I'll use a thin kerf blade to go as deep as I can on all four sides. Extra tall fence for safety!
IMG_2811.jpg

No drama
IMG_2812.jpg

Then hand saw the remainder to free the bookmatch lurking inside...
IMG_2813.jpg

This process always leave some ugliness but it planes right out.
IMG_2814.jpg

Worked on the neck a little too. Cut the blank to rough size (birdseye instead of the flamey water bubbles like I thought I was going to use).
IMG_2815.jpg

Ill try to get a lot of figure on the face of the headstock.
IMG_2816.jpg

Meanwhile, the top was glued up.
IMG_2840.jpg

The major pieces the next day.
IMG_2817.jpg

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Here's the top after glue up. There is flame on both sides of the board so I put the sides with the most flame in the center.
IMG_2841.jpg

This is the former outside of the board, will be the glued side of the top.
IMG_2843.jpg

And after a trip through the planing rig. Happy!
IMG_2850.jpg

The other side in the rig. Final dim is .250" with a little low corner but it will be cut off.
IMG_2851.jpg

Here's the good side with a naptha bath.
IMG_2852.jpg

Really pretty in the middle. The blank areas on either side will be filled with f-holes.
IMG_2853.jpg

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Started working on the fretboard. This is zebrawood, a scrap leftover from 1bad914's Zebrabird build. I've never seen it used as a fretboard before - might have to zpoxy it and finish it?
BHQW6219.jpg

All done! The little red solder sucker bulb is great for blowing away the wood dust so you can see how deep the saw is. Keeps your face (and lungs) out of the dust!
IMG_2857.jpg

Took a skim pass off each side of the neck blank. This birdseye is two-tone!
IMG_2858.jpg

This will be the backside. Will be fun to carve this and see what comes out.
KBBG5957.jpg

Tonight: truss rod slotting and glue up!

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
It will be interesting to see how this is going to work. Do you think that thin top will support the bridge.
Yeah, this is total seat o’ the boxers engineering here! But I am taking a lot of clues from maxvintage’s hollow builds, particularly this black one.

This is going to be more living room furniture than player. There will be no electronics, just two f-holes and a wood bridge I’ll make out of something dark and exotic with tusq saddles. I’m planning on some bracing inside, like max’s, along with a bridge plate.

it should sound decent for sitting on the couch and picking off commercial jingles. Being in a controlled environment, I don’t have much worry of it blowing apart but, if it did, I’m only out the time it took to build it!

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
The truss rod arrived so into the rig and a slot was made.
IMG_2860.jpg

Some finaggling at the adjuster nut end with a dremel...
IMG_2861.jpg

Ugly but effective!
IMG_2862.jpg

Drilled some holes in the waste area of the fingerboard prior to the glue up.
IMG_2869.jpg

Into the clamps!
IMG_2870.jpg

Trying to decide on position marker materials. Assorted pcs of blue acrylic, fake turquoise, some cocobolo and paduak.
IMG_2872.jpg

Paduak wins!
IMG_2878.jpg

They will stay on theme...
IMG_2879.jpg

cleaning out the radiused fingerboard fret slots so I can locate the holes.
IMG_2880.jpg

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
It is so hard to see pencil lines on this zebrawood I had to put tape down, trim to fit, and mark the spots for drilling.
IMG_2881.jpg

Set up a fence to keep them aligned..
IMG_2882.jpg

Going to align the grain in the markers with the grain on the fretboard.
IMG_2883.jpg

Glued in with transparent titebond
IMG_2884.jpg

And sanded smooth.
IMG_2885.jpg

Subtle! Over time these dots will turn a carmel brown and get even more subtle. No idea how long that will be though!
IMG_2886.jpg

Wiped with naptha to see what it might look like with some finish on the board.
IMG_2887.jpg

Headstock thinned in the rig, radiused on the ROSS, rough cut on the band saw and VERY CAREFULLY routed to shape with a template.
IMG_2888.jpg

As it sits for the next two weeks while my every waking moment goes toward getting the house ready to photograph!
IMG_2889.jpg

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
After two weeks of purging and painting and cleaning I finally had some guitar building time this weekend!
First, I took a perfectly good template and made another template out of it.
IMG_2983.jpg

Then smoothed it on the new ROSS
GEMO1563.jpg

Then I made a new base for my router out of acrylic so it could span the body.
GSRW4381.jpg

Taped on with 4 brads holding it in place - no slippage allowed!
IMG_2988.jpg

Routed out with a pattern bit - lots of chips. This is prior to setting final depth of the route.
IMG_2989.jpg

Back wall thickness is just under .25".
IMG_2996.jpg

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Neck Time - Favorite part of a build!
IMG_2990.jpg

First facets in...
IMG_2991.jpg

Next ones...

IMG_2992.jpg

Mostly there, a shot of naptha to see whats goin' on.
IMG_2993.jpg

Tuner holes drilled, more filing and tweaking around the transitions, more naptha.
IMG_3001.jpg

Little white corner.
IMG_3002.jpg

I'm using vintage style tuners on this so they have stepped holes. .25" on the back side, 11/32" on the front.
IMG_3003.jpg

Getting closer!
IMG_3004.jpg

I think the birdseye + flame combo is gonna be neat.
IMG_3005.jpg

erix

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Time to get serious with the top. Printed out some f-holes, cut 'em out, taped 'em on.
IMG_3009.jpg

Marked 'em out like that.
IMG_3010.jpg

Flipped it over and did the same thing. I'm gonna thin out the top around the f-holes.
IMG_3011.jpg

Taped to the table saw - I do NOT want this to move when I'm freehanding the thinning routes!
IMG_3012.jpg

Accomplished w/o drama!
IMG_3013.jpg

All I gotta do now is cut out the part with pencil.....
IMG_3014.jpg

Getting closer every minute!
IMG_3015.jpg

Got a mahogany board from Menards to make the braces out of.
LFFH5615.jpg

Almost quartersawn. I'll tilt the blade on my table saw and rip this into a few pieces of brace stock.
QOCE9344.jpg