Eric's Burly Brotherhood Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by eallen, Mar 27, 2020.

1. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, I have been putting off starting thinking I might not get done in 3 months if I start now only having about an hour a day to work on it.

So, here we go. A cherry body with a burl oak top and epoxy fill.

The burl is a small one from the family farm, as is the cherry. The burl has been setting a couple years. It is too small to make a cap with one slice alone. So off to resawing some slices!

I must confess I let them set 2 weeks to stabilize before moving on until the were all down to about 9% moisture.

Over to the jointer to flatten one side. The crazy grain didn't result in the best resaw I have done. My joiner isnt quit wide enough so I did it in sections.

On to the planer for thickness down to about 1/4".

Now to the rough cherry. I sectioned it into 3 planks that I then cut each down to 13" wide to fit thru the planer. I use my regular make shift leveling sled with screws in the corners with gaps in adjust until all rocking is gone. Flatten one side. Run the other side until desired thickness. I want to start with a total thickness of 2" to start. Why will come later.

I removed most of the bark down to a more solid edge on the burls.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

GreatDaneRock, 2blue2, CraigB and 5 others like this.
  2. eallen

I did several variations of laying the curls out on the cherry to try to get the nice figure most visible along with as minimizing gaps.

Then I set the template on and drilled 2 holes in the off fall areas of each burl cookie to hold them in place for gluing.

Here's a little teaser with naptha.
    That's all for today! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

3. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This one is going to be SPECIAL!

Dan R, eallen and crazydave911 like this.
  4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome in Eric,good to have ya :D

eallen likes this.
  5. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Man, that’s gonna look AMAZING!!

Dan R, crazydave911 and eallen like this.
  6. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I had a feeling you'd jump aboard with the rest of the Brothers, Eric! Good :)!!!

This should be a very cool build using home-grown wood straight from the farm!

crazydave911 and eallen like this.
  7. TheGooch

TheGooch TDPRI Member

Looks cool

8. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Holic

Sweet

9. eallen

Thanks guys! Enjoying seeing everyone's builds!

My problem is I have so many great billets I want to build with I couldn't decide which one to go with for the build! Such a dreadful problem.

Really thrilled Dave suggested this!

Eric

10. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Right on Eallen, glad your jumping in.
    Wood From the family farm~ Neat.
    Nice job on the billet resaw.
    Looking forward to the puzzle piece assembly

Don't ya hate it when people look at your pics
    and all they get out of it is 'Tie your shoe":eek::D:rolleyes::):eek::p:eek:

11. eallen

I wanted to lighten this up a bit. If you wonder why I didnt do the periphery 1st, it is because of using the location pins on the off fall areas.

Before I started removing material, I traced around all the cookies. Since burl isn't always the most stable, I wanted to leave plenty of support for it around the edges of each piece.

Normally I like to route out my areas over a few passes and prefer not to mess with hogging it out on the drill press. Since these are odd shape areas, it doesn't pay to take the time to build a template. A little chisel and drum sander work after and all is done.

I don't worry about sealing enclosed areas as they will be encapsulated to protect them. In the control cavity area though, I went ahead a whipped on a couple coats of lacquer just to seal up the fibers.

On to glue up. I restricted the wood glue on the body to inside the marked areas. I want the epoxy pour between the cookies to have wood to adhere to instead of wood glue. I like to roll my glue on. Man may not be able to live by clamps alone, but I sure like to give them some use.

Clamps off, the easiest way to remove alignment pins is to chuck them up and turn them out![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

12. eallen

Roughed out on the band saw. Starting to look like a tele shape.

I forgot to mention before. I plan to have a rear access panel rather than a control plate. Before gluing on the burl cookies, I traced out the cavity location where the control route is just to know where it was. I flipped the body over and transferred the drawing of it to the back, as well as where a control plate would normally go on the top. Waiting on more epoxy to come in so that's it for today anyway.
    20200328_181640.jpg 20200328_162001.jpg 20200328_182124.jpg 20200328_182411.jpg

13. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out ... it looks “WOW” now ...

eallen and crazydave911 like this.
  14. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's going to be pretty amazing!

15. rrobbone

rrobbone Tele-Meister

Looking forward to the end product. I love working with epoxy, it opens up a lot of options.

16. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Those burls are wow!

17. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Really nice design you have ended up with after cutting the body shape. I will enjoy this.

18. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Wowzer! That is going to look incredible! Can’t wait to see more!

19. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Looking sweet Eric!

I love cherry and I love having local woods this is going to be such an awesome build. Definitely has that "wow" factor even at this stage!

20. eallen

I have to be honest, I have a bunch of neck blanks laying around as well as several necks ready to fret or fretted.

I will likely grab one in the wood I want at whatever stage it is in for this build. The cherry one I am considering for the build is ready for a fretboard.

So, here are how I get my necks to a ready
    I do my trussrod routes on my router table using a fence. I lay out my offset centerline. Mark my trussrod location in relation to the nut. I buy these double actions in bulk from bitterroot.

Set my router bit depth. Mark the width of the 1/4" router bit on the fence. Mark the top of the blank for the stop and stop locations of the route. Line the fence up on the rod centerline. Lower the blank onto the turned on bit and route the distance.

I also route the access hole in the headstock using a 5/16" bowl bit. While ever thing is set up, I chuck up a bowl bit. Set it about .25" deep. Lower the blank onto the bit and route from past the radius area of the head stock back into the groove. I sometimes raise the bit a hair and route it deeper right past where the adjuster ends.

Then it is onto the neck periphery and desired headstock and it is ready for a fretboard.

Eric

20190426_200118.jpg 20190427_150650.jpg 20190427_145844.jpg 20190427_145345.jpg 20190427_145729.jpg 20190427_153241.jpg 20190427_160253.jpg 20190828_174701.jpg 20190831_101740.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.