Eric Johnson Signiature EJ-1240

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by powerwagonjohn, Jul 16, 2019.

1. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Anyone have any experience with this Eminence speaker? All the reviews I have found are older and nothing newer. I have my eye on one locally and I may pick it up to try in my 62 Vibrolux. It seems like it is an alnico speaker in the Jensen sound spectrum. You all know I am a hopeless speaker snut.
    Thanks John

H. Mac likes this.
  2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Haven't had a chance to play one, but I've been interested as well. If you end up picking it up let us know your thoughts!

3. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

I have had this speaker for a few days now and thought I would report back. The guy I bought it from ($150.00) said he only used it for approx. 12 hours so I guess it is not really broke in yet. I tried it with several amps with out being in a cab and it sounded kind of thin with no bottom end so I almost didn't put it in my 62 Vibrolux but I am glad I finally did.
    The Vibrolux came to me with the orig. Oxford in a box and an older, reconed Jensen P12N in the amp. It sounded great with the Jensen so hence the trepidation to change it out. When I pulled the P12N I found it had been reconed with a molded cone. The EJ 1240 has a ribbed, paper cone with a curved seam and a paper former. This is an alnico, magnet about the same size as the P12N, speaker and was designed with input from Eric Johnson and George Alessandro. Considering the attention the GA series Eminence speakers get around here I thought I would take a chance. My impressions are that this gives a lot of the Jensen tone, just more of it, with a lot of bottom end and clarity all the way up. This speaker is rated at a conservative 40 W and 100 db.
    This is my first foray into modern speakers except for some EVs which are not really modern since they were well used when I bought them. I am really liking this speaker and it will stay for a while and get broken in to see if it sounds better with time.
    One of my favorite speakers is the Altecs and I have a 15" 418 in my 62 Pro and 66 Ampeg Gemini, but when I put a 417 in the Vibrolux it sounded too much like the Pro. So for now I am thrilled with outcome.
    Thanks John

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Paul in Colorado and Wally like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.