1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Eric Johnson and Rick Beato

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Mar 16, 2020.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Rick Beato interviewing Eric Johnson. Interesting conversation, and not the typical Eric interview focused on guitars and gear. My favorite section starts around 20 minutes, when they get into the "function of pop music". Eric has some fascinating thoughts on current vs. older pop music, and he's not as critical as I thought he might be.
    Not too much on "strange" obsessions.....like "dirty AC" current. I met Eric at a guitar show 20+ years ago, and he was gracious and approachable, and his legendary shyness isn't obvious here, either.

brookdalebill and 57fenderstrat like this.
  2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Ya that is one of my all time favorite Rick Beato interviews. Eric Johnson was great.. love his stories, super nice guy too.

brookdalebill and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Watched yesterday, very nice video, Rick Beato is a great interviewer, he actually is great in every video he shoots, very professional, he knows what he is talking about.
    Eric Johnson is a great player even i'm not a big fan i enjoyed the video, he also seems a very nice person...

Bob Mc, brookdalebill and nojazzhere like this.
  4. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Eric Johnson sounds like he has that cool Tom Petty attitude in his voice or something

richiek65 and nojazzhere like this.
  5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I watched it last night. It was great.

He does indeed talk about dirty AC in some venues in that video, and how he and his tech will walk around with a tester and find the best outlet. He said if you can get 3% here and 3% there, pretty soon you're up 20% and your amps just sound better. I don't know. But I do think that Mr. Johnson probably has trained his ears to a level beyond most of us even.

He also said that he's a recovering perfectionist, which I thought was a good way to accept blame for the legend of his OCD, and diffuse it at the same time.

nojazzhere and brookdalebill like this.
  6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

He is cool, and a really nice person, too.

57fenderstrat and nojazzhere like this.
  7. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

Ah Via Musicom and Venus Isle are still on my regular play rotation. Brilliant work.

8. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    When Tones came out, I was a SRV freak. I appreciated EJ's talent, but it didn't grab me at the time. Oddly enough, I thought his tone was weak back then - lacked muscle. So when Ah Via Musicom came out, and I first heard Cliffs of Dover, I didn't immediately get it. It sounded like a flat out pop tune to me.

Then Stevie passed away... and everyone was trying to copy him for years... which turned me off so much that I sort of put SRV on the back burner and starting moving forward with my approach and technique. For the first time, in circa 1992? I added a delay to my set up (a DD2). A little while later, I added a TC Chorus for my clean tone. Before long, I was in the EJ neighborhood, without even noticing it. Somewhere along that time, I rediscovered EJ and all of the sudden, I understood what he was doing. Since then I have sort of had one foot in the Billy Gibbons/Joe Walsh camp, and the other foot in this Hendrixesque Eric Johnson camp. I have worked on my speed for years, and finally came to the conclusion that I will never get to EJ speed... but I'm about 85% there, which is cool. If I stay in my lane, I think it sounds good. If I strive hard past that 85%... and try to rub shoulders with EJ... I begin to get really sloppy. So I have to watch it.

elihu and brookdalebill like this.
  9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Great interview. I’ve seen Eric twice. A truly amazing musician. He is definitely on my “Top 5 guitarists of all time” list. Thanks for sharing.

Cheap Trills and brookdalebill like this.
  10. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

"I'm in recovery....I play straight through the PA now.".....lol

brookdalebill likes this.
  11. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good interview. Nice to hear him get asked about things other than his gear. Would have liked to hear more about his approach from a theory perspective, he touched on it a bit in the Wes reference, but usually with Beato stuff that's what you expect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.