Eric Clapton/Jeff Beck Observation

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
I'm not an expert on either musician nor their musical output, but:

1) Both were in the Yardbirds
2) Both played Gibsons through overdriven amps, heavy blues-based (BBA and Cream)
3) Both considered guitar heroes
4) Both switched to Fenders, cleaner amps, and less-heavy music later
5) Both BBA and Cream produced live albums that sound very much alike (bass panned to L, guitar panned to R)

That last one struck me tonight - I listened to the Vol. 1 Cream live album, and the BBA live album afterward, and it's pretty much the same freaking sound, engineering, etc. But I will say this, then duck out of the way to avoid things being thrown at me: I think the BBA live album is better....

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
BBA was made long after Cream was done. and the late 60s there was a ton of improvement in recording.

and yeah... Beck IS a better guitarist. one of my heros since Yardbirds days. he is one of the 3 top rock innovators of that era. what the heck... throw in Page and make it 4. they were all carping themselves when they heard Jimi but none the less, those 4 that changed rock. and I'll add my sleeper... the guy Clapton said was the best in America in the 60s.... Jerry Miller... Moby Grape, killer player, one of the creators of the "San Francisco sound" in the mid 60s. years ahead of his time... hes still out there doing it too.

That Cal Webway

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
4). Beck started out on a Fender Esquire. Several of his early era Yardbirds was the Esquire: Heart Full of Soul and Over Under Sideways Down. etc.

Later in his brief time in The Yardbirds Beck used a Les Paul:
Jeff's Boogie, The Nazz Are Blue, Happening Ten Years Time ago.

Beck neva went through a laid-back phase like Clapton did when he went to the Stratocaster and smaller Fender amps.
In the late 60's Beck had to take a hiatus due to a bad car wreck where he sustained head injuries. He was out for a while.

5) sound engineering wise I'll take what you say as truth, but they were very different bands other than BBA were somewhat blues oriented. A boogie band.

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Beck continues to push himself and to practice hard. He’s never rested on his laurels. Few others of his generation still play with his intensity. McLaughlin is the only one who comes to mind. I’m sure I’m overlooking others in the jazz end of the spectrum.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I love em’ both.
Beck has more fire, but Clapton is infinitely more inspirational, to more people.
Beck doesn’t sing, and really doesn’t play, or write pop music.
Clapton does all three, very well.
Beck is a soloist, and his band mates follow the leader.
Clapton collaborates well/better with others.
Personally, I’d way rather listen to Clapton.

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
I would like to add Rory Gallagher to the list. Beck was a great guitarist, but didn't sing. Clapton wasn't
any where close to a good singer. Jimi was an inspirational guitarist but still had his roots in the blues.
Rory played many instruments, composed and sang rather well. So there.

Trenchant63

Tele-Meister
beck can do anything. he still sounds fresh today, his playing is truly phenomonal
by comparison-
everything clapton does makes me yawn, and reeks of stale kool cigarettes.
I prefer listening to Beck but still appreciate Clapton’s older works. Somewhere in the 80’s Clapton’s overdrive tone on his Strat started sounding a bit “Kazoo” like. I drove me nuts!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've never been a particular fan of either but Eric certainly has a ton more listenable songs than Beck.
Do we really need to hear Because We Ended... ever again?
Didn't Stevie give that to him?
I think it was inspired by Roy Buchanan.
Beck and SRV did tour together.
Stevie Wonder and Beck collaborated on Superstition, but SW wrote it.