1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Eric Clapton and his telecasters

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Peter77, Nov 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Lots and lots of guitars he has had the pleasure to play thats for sure. I would not mind trying a Fender Jaguar neither a Fender Jazz master

2. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

On a different note, I have always been interested in to why he had crew cut with The Yardbirds at this point, yet had had it longer right before this. It never made sense to me, the 60's and long hair where already in style, and he was always stylish.

When I saw the Showtime documentary last year it finally made sense. He was so young he was still living with his family at the time, and they got angry at him and FORCED hit to cut it.

I was stunned. Here he was on his way to becoming one of the greatest guitarist of all time, with one of the hottest bands at the time, and yet still lived at home and to acquiesce to their wishes. In the doc you see some family pix of him after they made him cut it, and you can see how angry he is. It was one of the most amazing parts of the film.

RadioFM74 and black_doug like this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

I heard something about some documentary that did not show him in a good way. I have not seen it myself but what I heard it was kind of tragic. And the documentary as I heard it showed him in a bad way even in the eightees. After the tragedy with his son I have the deepest understanding if his life was tragic. I dont think I could go on if that happened to me, but this was years before that happened. Again I have not seen the documentary so I absolutely dont know how his life was, just something I heard from a friend who had seen a documentary like the one you refer to.

4. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Well he played a damn good guitar in the eightiees Anyway.

jfgesquire likes this.
  5. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars is currently on YouTube; but it is indeed a grim ride. I knew Clapton was addicted to smack in the early '70s; but I had no idea the depth of his alcohol addiction afterwards:

Although the 1970s documentary, Eric Clapton and His Rolling Hotel shows him bombed in almost every shot offstage. It's amazing how good the music sounded, considering how far gone he was. This was online for a while, but seems to have vanished.

RadioFM74 and Mike M like this.
  6. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I didn't know the stuff about his mom and how he thought she was his sister until age nine, and how that kind of screwed up his relationships with women, but you can see how he channeled that pain and anger into his obsessiveness with the guitar.

You are right about his alcoholism which seem to have a worse effect on him than the Heroin addiction. He must have been a terror to be with, he seemed to have a real Jekyll and Hyde personality during those years.

7. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Wow, while I have not seen all yet, I absolutely did not know how tragic his life was. Really sad story. Actually was completely shocked. I read he was on heroin a few years and got out of it. But the alcholol to that extent I did not know about. And the childhood. Just tragic. The talk of guitars seems irrelevant and not important when you see something like this. I really hope he is feeling better now. Such a sad story. Got to me. The pics of him playing another guitar than the one he usually plays seems very irrellevant, when seeing a movie like this. I hope he has found some peace and is better now.

8. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Even music Itself seems irrelevant. But it at least feels good he had some people there supporting him. Friends that was not there to take advantage of him, like George Harrison. This is one of the most tragic films I have seen. And I have not even got to the part where his child dies. No I Will not watch that part. Dont get me wrong I think it was good the video was put here, but it made me sad to see. At least he had his guitar to comfort him and make him feel better.

9. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

George loved Eric like a brother. Even wives weren't as important as their friendship. And they fought like brothers. Many see George as the one that saved Eric from self destruction by alcohol and drugs, but George had issues, too, that Eric called George out on. George was quite the womanizer and Eric didn't like it.

Who else could call out either of them on their crap except the other?

I love Cloud 9 and wish there was good video of the recording sessions.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

That one I thought was pretty bad of Eric in the documentary saying George went after every woman. Thought he did not need to say that.

jfgesquire likes this.
  11. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

12. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

There was a fun story When George toured Japan 1991 and they Ask George about ” something” and he Said it was not about Pattie it was about some randome girl. Isnt it a Pity he says was about Pattie later Eric gets the question if ” wonderful tonight” was about Pattie and he says yes most deffinitely and says something very serious. And George Immidiately jumps in and says ” No that was about his manager Roger” ( Wonderful tonight). I had a laugh at that one.

13. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

The neck on Brownie is the same neck as on the Blind Faith Tele.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  14. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

A very strange guitar that tele with Strat head ( and neck ? )

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The man has a huge collection of many types and brands of guitars over many decades now and can play whatever he damn well pleases.:D

Peter77 likes this.
  16. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

17. stratcatt

stratcatt TDPRI Member

Of course EC would spend some time with a Tele! What truly great guitarist hasn't at least tried them out for a while? I played Strats exclusively for many years myself, but have found that different guitars play different rolls, so having more than one type of guitar just makes sense. That goes for amplifiers and pedals as well, of course.

18. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

While Blind Faith was on tour they took Delaney and Bonnie as their opening act . Eric started playing along with them during their act , some pictures show Eric with an LP Custom , others with what appears to be Brownie , it could be another '50s Strat . Around this time is when Eric started recording his first solo album , using Delaney and Bonnie's stage band , which included his Derek and the Dominos members , and a host of others . I believe Brownie is the Strat on the cover of Eric's first album , so it appears that is the guitar used on the album . 1970 was a busy year for Eric , he released his album , worked on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass album , and recorded the Layla album . Quite the collection of great music !

RadioFM74 likes this.
  19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Yes it's Brownie on the album cover, and if you ask me which is the most iconic Stratocaster on the planet, 2 days out of three I'll say it's Brownie. 2TSB on maple neck is not my favorite, but an undeniable classic and Brownie is beautiful.

Actually everyone and their dogs was doing that in those days: take your favorite body (read: set of pickups), slap on your favorite neck… done. It's a strat neck and a tele body? No problem, it'll fit… more or less… Not sure about Brownie, but Blackie was a partscaster that Clapton assembled from what he felt were the best bits and pieces of various 50s strats he bought for little money in the US :)eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:). And Gilmours' Black Strat was a partscaster too and has gone through Lord knows how many neck changes (and pickup changes, and hardware, etc…): https://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=66

So, Eric's mutt telecaster is very much in the spirit of the times – and he probably simply wanted a tele sound + his favorite neck at the time.

I think so too… that poor tele has gone down in history as a piece of crap, when in fact all it needed probably was a good tech. Remember it was the early days and they were not the kind of gear nerds. Actually they were total butchers: think of what Jeff Beck did to that poor Esquire and what Pagey did to his wonderful '59 tele (other than propelling them to glory, of course…). Poor little red tele, I feel sorry for it… here, give it to me: I'll give it all the tender love & care it needs and I'm sure it'll be superb!

Jay Jernigan likes this.
  20. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

BTW @Peter77 you keep saying "Strat head (and neck?)" as if the two could be somehow separated, but no-one will do that. A strat or tele neck is one piece with its headstock. No-one would separate the headstock and splice it onto another (headless) Fender neck. So that tele has Brownie's neck (Hyde Park) or a CBS strat neck (rosewood 'n' fur) on it – simple as that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.