1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Eric Clapton and his telecasters

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Peter77, Nov 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

So maybe he still played the Tele in Bluesbreakers

2. vortexx

vortexx TDPRI Member

I did not realize he played a Tele much. Once he switched to mainly Strats, I assumed he stuck with those except for certain projects. I prefer his pre-solo tone, but that may be due to the way he was playing more aggressively. When Allman and Hendrix died he was very depressed and developed a very bad heroin habit. He disappeared for a few years to recover from depression and to a certain degree drugs. His playing became not as fiery as before.

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

The necks on a strat and tele are functionally and tonally identical – unless you believe that the headstock shape or the shape of the butt end change tone, which I emphatically don't. All the tonal and "feel" differences are related to the loaded body, and particularly to electronics & bridge assembly.

So, to me, Clapton is playing a (slightly bastardized) tele there.

And Hendrix is playing a (slightly bastardized) strat here

Jimi Hendrix White Strat w_Tele Neck.png

4. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Oh did not know that as I have one Strat and one Tele and the neck of the Tele is actually much thinner making it more Easy to play. But that might be that they are different generations.

5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Yup: tele or Strat necks can be indifferently super-thin or huge depending on year of make or (today, with the huge range of choices available) model. So it's not a specific tele or strat thing.

6. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Thanks for explaining that because That was a mystery to me.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  7. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

Yes I was confused with all the pics from the seventiees. But maybe as Someone said he was very influensed by the Band who at that time played Tele

8. DENTS N DINGS

DENTS N DINGS TDPRI Member

Look up to see who gave Keith Richards his tele on his 27th birthday. Surprise!

9. BostonTeleGuy

BostonTeleGuy TDPRI Member

Similar to Jeff Beck in that he used Tele's a lot early on and then always had them around but never again as a primary instrument. Both of them tell these Strat conversion stories where they realized the Strat had the sound they were looking for.

black_doug likes this.
  10. Fred-paris

Fred-paris TDPRI Member

The whole neck comes from a strat. I own a Custom Shop that has a Tele neck with a strat headstock (not the 12000€ Blind Faith reissue but rather a one-off Fender made in 2016) and it's complete Tele sound (and more) ;-) IMG_1874.jpg

11. Tark1

Tark1 TDPRI Member

You have to remember that back in the day US guitars were rare in the UK and most of the players were using second hand guitars, whatever they could get. Some of the guitars were band property, you left the band you left the guitar behind.

Yearofthecat likes this.
  12. RoadShow

RoadShow TDPRI Member

You Are Not Alone

Peter77 likes this.
  13. smokey9701

smokey9701 TDPRI Member

Was there anything he didn't play? It might be interesting to know if there was any guitar he played and sounded terrible? I doubt it. I'm sure he gets anything he wants custom made and then gets paid to play it. I have a feeling it makes no difference if he plays a 200 dollar squire or 20,000 dollar custom Tele.

14. soundcloset

soundcloset TDPRI Member

And the little Pignose amp!

BuckNekkid likes this.
  15. Yearofthecat

Yearofthecat TDPRI Member

During Blind Faith he was trying to leave the 'virtuoso' phase and wanted to be just a sideman. The style of the music with Blind Faith imho would call for a Fender, rather than a Gibson. That Tele (Strat neck) must just happen to be there. After that, it was 'Brownie' on Layla.

zeke54 and RadioFM74 like this.
  16. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gee ... I was hoping for at least one pic of Eric with an Esquire .:(

17. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Two things suddenly popped into my head as I browsed through all these pictures of Eric Clapton and his Telecaster History.

I couldn't help but notice the similarity of some of the Clapton pictures to the look of Eric Church with his facial hair. If you don't know about Eric Church just do an image search for him.

The other thing that occurred to me was that I graduated from Tulsa's Edison High School in "1960" with Carl Radle who played Bass in the Domino's and is credited with giving Clapton a Telecaster.

Carl did not give me a Telecaster but - He died 40 years ago and I haven't yet.

Lost_N_Austin

18. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

For me, that's an interesting viewpoint; never thought about it that way, but it makes sense.

I've often been the odd man out (or the odd guitar player out :)), because I've always preferred the early Clapton stuff, when he played with John Mayall, Yardbirds, Cream, etc,.

I think that early stuff was way more dynamic and inspired and it's always remained my favorite.

My reaction is probably normal (for me anyhow) because that early Clapton stuff is what I grew up with during the 1960's and was an important part of my introduction to electric blues and blues/rock.

Yeah, the Beatles were fantastic song writers, and accomplished musicians in their own way, but that electric blues really moved me and what made me learn how to play a guitar.

Electric blues and blues/rock is still what moves me all these years later :).

The weirdness (some people might say the shame of it) is that most of us here in the U.S.A. had to be introduced to the music first played by our own countrymen (and women) by the Brits ;).

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

That guy has more guitars than he probably knows about. Stashed away all over the place, the attic, the basement, the storage unit....

20. Peter77

Peter77 Tele-Holic

But body is Tele

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.