Eric Bazilian of The Hooters Fender Telecaster

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
A lot of people may not know who The Hooters are, but they were a very influential new wave/folk rock esque band from Philadelphia, PA in the Eighties.

Their biggest hits included And We Danced, Day By Day, All You Zombies and Karla With A K.
The group began its tenure as the backing band for Cyndi Lauper on her 1983 album She's So Unusual. Most notably, keyboardist Rob Hyman helped co-write the single Time After Time and sang the song's chorus with her. (He would recieve a Grammy nomination for Song of the Year for doing so.)

Eric Bazilian mostly played Gibson Les Paul and Gibson Flying V guitars, but he also played Fender Stratocaster, Roland VG8 triggered by a Fender Stratocaster with a 1967 Telecaster neck, guitars, bass guitar, hooter (their nickname for the melodica keyboard harmonica they played), saxophone and harmonica. I think they also played a Fender Precision Bass.
But I know Eric Bazilian owns a Fender Telecaster. He can be seen playing it in the music video for Trouble In Paradise. I think this was his primary electric guitar, having played it on And We Danced, All You Zombies, 500 Miles, and Don't Take My Car Out Tonight. He also helped co-write the title track to Patty Smyth's 1987 debut, Never Enough, which The Hooters played on. And Joan Osborne's One Of Us, which he also wrote and played a Telecaster on. The Hooters played on that Grammy nominated cut too.
I actually wound up buying a Hooters Hooterization greatest hits CD at Half Price Books a few months ago, and also bought the vinyl copy of Nervous Night at my local Book Nook a few weeks ago.
I can also tell you that the song Time After Time was played on a Fender Telecaster through a Publison DHM89 harmonizer. He also used a Vox amp, a Fender Bassman amp, and a Marshall amp as well as a Leslie organ speaker.

What I would mostly like to know is when did he acquire this Fender Telecaster and does he still own it? Please let me know.
The Hooters were a pretty cool band. A lot of my friends like them. :)
Maybe this post will bring back memories of And We Danced.

ucnick

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I saw them once or twice back in the 80s, when I was still in the PhilaPa area (as John DiBella, a prominent WMMR dj of the time, put it) but don't recall what he played when I saw them. But they sure kicked a**!!

G&Lplayer

Tele-Holic
Actually they were very much around before Cindy Lauper. I saw them open for The Who in Philadelphia in 82. They were one of the bands on the local music shows Sunday night on WMMR along with Robert Hazzard who wrote Girls Just Want To Have Fun. Lots of great music coming from Philly in the early 80’s.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I remember The Hooters from the early '80s. In fact, an old friend from school who lived outside Philly had a pink paisley Tele that he told me had bought from someone in the Hooters. Not sure if it was Eric or someone else. I played it while visiting my friend back in '83. I wasn't really into Telecasters at the time, but thought it was a cool guitar. I don't know if he still has that guitar or if it was used on any Hooters recordings.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire
I loved their One Way Home album. I saw them on the tour for that album, opening for Bryan Adams, on his tour for the Into The Fire album. I only went because my friends were going, so I went along, and both bands were so great that I became a big fan of both and bought all their CDs up to the ones that were current at that time

John O

Tele-Meister
great band, i saw them a couple times pre-fame, at local philly club called Chestnut Cabaret and they played at my college in '81. you could tell they were going somewhere - great energy and songs. I liked the pre-fame versions of "hangin' on a heartbeat", and "why don't we talk about it". when i saw them i think Eric was playing an old les paul special or a junior, can't remember, too long ago.

Last edited:

rand z

Friend of Leo's
I saw them a few times at the Village night club in Lancaster, PA.

Great band with great songs!

(I think that I remember an accordion playing a significant role in their sound... mandolin, too.)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I remember them mainly from their presence on MTV. On videos, I recall Eric mostly playing a doublecut Les Paul Jr. They had a unique sound incorporating mandolin, melodica, and "reedy"-sounding organ, with Eric and Rob trading off on vocals. I especially enjoyed their bass player.....he had a great sense of keeping it simple and solid.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I remember them mainly from their presence on MTV. On videos, I recall Eric mostly playing a doublecut Les Paul Jr. They had a unique sound incorporating mandolin, melodica, and "reedy"-sounding organ, with Eric and Rob trading off on vocals. I especially enjoyed their bass player.....he had a great sense of keeping it simple and solid.

I remember digging that double cutaway ( Cherry mahogany) LP Jr. from The Hooters MTV videos, long before I knew what it was!

Just remember thinking " That's pretty cool looking! Looks like a Gibson headstock...wonder what it is?"
I was in my early 20's and just scratching the surface of all these cool guitars; had no idea yet of the LP ( and SG) variations

Always liked The Hooters - pretty original, edgy, pop rock songs

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
The Hooters were big when I was younger. I remember seeing them at a block party on South Street in Philly before their first album where they did a reggae set with no vocalist and I seen them open for the Who at JFK. It the Hooters, Santana, The Clash, and The Who and I don't think tickets where $30. How much would that line up be now? They put out an EP before their Nervous Nights album with a lot of the same songs, but rawer and in my opinion superior, at least it was my favorite.

Philly had some good bands back then as mentioned Robert Hazzard, The A's, Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I remember digging that double cutaway ( Cherry mahogany) LP Jr. from The Hooters MTV videos, long before I knew what it was!

Just remember thinking " That's pretty cool looking! Looks like a Gibson headstock...wonder what it is?"
I was in my early 20's and just scratching the surface of all these cool guitars; had no idea yet of the LP ( and SG) variations

Always liked The Hooters - pretty original, edgy, pop rock songs
I bought my 1960 doublecut LP Jr in 1969 for $60 in a pawnshop, so I KNEW what he was playing in those videos. It was kind of a thrill to see someone playing "my" guitar. It's amazing how GOOD a simple slab of Mahogany with one P-90 can sound. I still want to, someday, build a Telecaster-shaped LP Jr...
stop-bar tailpiece and single P-90.....;)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I bought my 1960 doublecut LP Jr in 1969 for $60 in a pawnshop, so I KNEW what he was playing in those videos. It was kind of a thrill to see someone playing "my" guitar. It's amazing how GOOD a simple slab of Mahogany with one P-90 can sound. I still want to, someday, build a Telecaster-shaped LP Jr...
stop-bar tailpiece and single P-90.....;)

It's been a while now since I've heard it, but the brother of our band's bass player, is a very good guitar player with his own band- owns a real '57 Les Paul Jr. ( single cutaway)

The first time I heard it ( early 1990's) our 2 bands shared a bar gig- he was playing thru a '66 Super Reverb- LOUD!- but one of the best roots/country/R&R rhythm guitar sounds I ever heard. Very much like Social Distortion. ( he did " Ball and Chain") Powerful grind, yet clear.
( Bob is a purist- NO pedals!)

One of the band's CD's ( which I played some lead on, I think) was called ' Tobacco Sunburst' with the '57 LP Jr. on the cover.

IMMusicRulz

Tele-Meister
Eric Bazilian also played a Kramer Tele'Esque guitar that was a double neck electric guitar.
It had an electric mandolin on one neck, and a Telecaster like neck on the other.

I think their other guitarist, John Lilley played a Tele too, but I don't remember.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It's been a while now since I've heard it, but the brother of our band's bass player, is a very good guitar player with his own band- owns a real '57 Les Paul Jr. ( single cutaway)

The first time I heard it ( early 1990's) our 2 bands shared a bar gig- he was playing thru a '66 Super Reverb- LOUD!- but one of the best roots/country/R&R rhythm guitar sounds I ever heard. Very much like Social Distortion. ( he did " Ball and Chain") Powerful grind, yet clear.
( Bob is a purist- NO pedals!)

One of the band's CD's ( which I played some lead on, I think) was called ' Tobacco Sunburst' with the '57 LP Jr. on the cover.
That was my rig in late sixties through mid-seventies.....my LP Jr straight into a Black Face Super Reverb, NO PEDALS. It was actually TOO loud for many gigs.....but I played outdoor gigs (loud) with no problem.
I still own that Jr, and while it's not really "gig-worthy", it's still the P-90 I use to judge all other P-90's. A few years ago, I bought a PRS SE One, which is Paul's take on a Junior, and compared the One's P-90 to my Jr.....and they were close to being identical. The SE One can be played out without trouble, so that's what I take when I want a P-90 on a gig. No Super Reverb anymore.....I have to make do with my Pathfinder 15R's with either one 12" or four 8" speakers. I KNOW you'd like those. ;)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That was my rig in late sixties through mid-seventies.....my LP Jr straight into a Black Face Super Reverb, NO PEDALS. It was actually TOO loud for many gigs.....but I played outdoor gigs (loud) with no problem.
I still own that Jr, and while it's not really "gig-worthy", it's still the P-90 I use to judge all other P-90's. A few years ago, I bought a PRS SE One, which is Paul's take on a Junior, and compared the One's P-90 to my Jr.....and they were close to being identical. The SE One can be played out without trouble, so that's what I take when I want a P-90 on a gig. No Super Reverb anymore.....I have to make do with my Pathfinder 15R's with either one 12" or four 8" speakers. I KNOW you'd like those. ;)
My buddy Bob with the Les Paul junior and the super Reverb he was very loud but his thing was you've got to be allowed to get his sound but it could be a problem he now has a Lindy fralin P90 because the Gibson lost its magnetism it sounds great still though I like the persse one
Never played one but like the look of it and it's affordable sorry for the voice activation driving to a gig