1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Equipment you wish you’d never gotten rid of

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hendrixlvr, Dec 19, 2019.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

In 2013 I sold a beautiful Collings tenor ukulele made of premium Koa. I needed the money to pay bills. I hated myself for a long time after that and vowed never to let that happen again.

2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My 78 Gibson The Paul and Ampeg Reverbojet amp.

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

'57 Strat (real one).... '53 Tele (real one). both bought in the 60s, sold in the 80s

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

I used to have a Mutron Phasor but the story is too sad to tell.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

My friend traded me a 60’s Goldtop LP in the late 70’s.
    I traded him back, I didn’t like it and the green oxidation and glitter oozing from under the peeling lacquer was too much.
    Also the tuners and those fonky pickups were just wrong. And it smelt old.

6. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

Sovtek Green Russian Big Muff
    Bixonic Xpandora EX2000
    Boss PH-2
    Boss BF-2
    Boss DD-5
    Squire Vista Series Super-sonic
    Garnet amp and tall cab

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

vintage Magnatone 260a , unsure of the year...late 50s? I got it for virtually nothing, had it cleanup up electronically. The vibrator was so unique.

Hamer Duotone guitar

I sold both when my kids were much younger, my wife was at-home with them so the money was helpful and I really wasn't using them.

8. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

A Peavey T-60. Not the prettiest guitar, but it was fun to play.

9. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

A mint 61 Telecaster, that I basically ripped off... (traded an Aria Stray Cat straight across)

And this Beauty, which I could have owned for next to nothing, but I sold it for the owner..

Hiwatt.JPG

It was rumored to have a very colorful past, I just shrugged it off and put it on Ebay for a new friend who needed the cash.... I guess they weren't just rumors... An executive at Hiwatt contacted me personally, struck a deal... And sent me a pre-paid, bomb-proof shipping container to get it back across the pond... I could have bought it for a couple hundred bucks if I was the same dick who traded another kid a $199 Aria for a mint 61 Telecaster.

I have dozens of other pics of the Hiwatt, if anyone has interest... It was an early prototype with hand drawn schematics.

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Hmm, traded a 70 Gibson EB-0 for an engagement ring for my first wife, I miss that bass.
    Traded a nice G&L bass for a, acoustic bass, and sold off too much good gear to pay bills, including a 68 Bassman, an early G&L SC-2 with 60s strat pickupsin it, a Princeton Reverb II, and probably a few more I’m forgetting.

11. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Hallmark Man or Astro Man, (white) that I sold to pay for needed dental work. I now have a Hallmark Classic 60(sunburst). IMHO, Hallmark makes the best guitar on the planet. 017.JPG 069.JPG

12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Lemon pie

Thank you.

13. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

There have been a few I've let go and regretted later. For sentimental reasons my first two guitars: a Framus acoustic and Jedson LP copy. The Framus was nice, the Jedson a pile of poo but they were the starting point for all my years of playing.

A really decent Strat some years ago. I got it brand new, maple neck, hard tail and natural finish. A friend helped me get it when I was younger and so broke I couldn't even afford a decent case for it. I swapped it in a silly deal for a guitar that I can't even remember.

Lastly, my MIJ Strat with locking nut. I played it all over the country, practically wore the frets off it and added many bumps and bruises. Great little guitar that almost seemed to more of a friend than just an instrument.

14. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I have ZERO emotional attachment to gear. There was a time that I did but not anymore.
    When I look back and everything I've owned over the years I might wish I had hung onto a few items for "investment" reasons, but nothing more.

15. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

My 1972 Gibson SG Deluxe

Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-20 um 11.44.43.png

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I sold my first Strat to get a couple of hundred quid together so that my girlfriend and I had a bit of money when our first child arrived.

The punch line is that eventually it turns out the baby wasn't mine.

I don't miss the girlfriend or the Strat but it still gets to me damned near twenty years later. Oh, and she's still got my Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust album.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Oh God my 68 SG special... traded for new Strat when I was obsessed with Hendrix in the early 80s

teleaddicted likes this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I sold a Twin Reverb RI... My Tech pushed in a Bassman in the normal Channel so I had two amps in one. A bassman and a Twin Reverb, both on phase, master, No NFB, two V30s... a monster

Now I am happy with a Bassman 59 LTD... But If I could own it again I would do it without even thinking. Actually I setted an Add in a spanish guitar forum where I sold it. The next owner got rid of it and has no records of who has it...

19. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

Double post

20. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

There’s a few but I’d love my first “real” bass back that I traded to a music store mid 90’s. It was a 77 Ric 4001 that I bought for $400. I traded it and a couple other things for a 73 Tele that was missing the headstock logo. Pretty sure it was a replacement Warmoth neck or something. Anyway, sold it for a couple hundred bucks a few months later. That left me with no gear for a few years.

I remember that same store having a white 66 P bass for sale for $1600. I didn’t like P basses then because they weren’t a Ric (and didn’t have the money anyway) but I gravitated to that bass every time I came in that store. Turns out I was a P bass guy and I just didn’t know it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.