1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Equalizer pedals: Do U use and which model?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by burntfrijoles, Jan 28, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I saw a YouTube video demonstrating the value of an EQ pedal in improve your amps tone and another video about EQ improving tone at bedroom levels.
    Is an EQ worth the effort and which ones are good? (And quiet)

ukepicker likes this.
  2. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

I use my old black MXR EQ after fuzz to shape my tone. I like it and would recommend it, but I know there are quieter ones out there.

3. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Ditto. MXR 10. I have two of the old black models. I believe they come in silver now. I use one with my pedal steel rig and the other "where and as" needed.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fish and Chips

BFcaster and darkwaters like this.
  5. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Boss GE 7 with Monte Allums Mod

SweetClyde99 likes this.
  6. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Black MXR 10. It is good for tone shaping at lower volume levels. I also use it to identify frequencies if I am trying to select a replacement speaker.

I have not noticed it being noisy........ but I don't use many pedals.

7. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Boss GE-7 w/sniper mod. I use it after fuzz, usually to cut bass, treble, or both. Makes a wider variety of fuzz pedals usable for me.

It can also function as a great clean boost pre/post dirt, or in an amp effects loop.

Very handy pedal to have in your collection IMO.

8. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Just got a Barber Barb EQ.

I have a Vox style amp, and it just makes it more versatile. I use it to add some low mids/girth to the sound. Makes it a nice all around kind of sound, plays nicer with drive pedals. Also have a slight level boost just to give it some oomph and dynamics.

Just love the tone it gives me, almost like a nice preamp that adds some warmth to the sound. Barber makes great stuff.

57fenderstrat, ukepicker and D_Malone like this.
  9. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

A Boss GE-7 in my little acoustic rig. Helps a lot. Haven't needed to use one for electric guitar, though.

10. SparkleFart

SparkleFart Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Pettyjohn Filter

filter.jpg

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I use a BOSS EQ-200 as an always on pedal. The 10 frequency band sliders can be used to roll of or boost frequencies depending on your needs. The 11th slider controls overall output from the pedal. I play clean and roll off low frequencies to give me clarity with humbucker and Filter-Tron pickups. The EQ-200 is so good I can now use the mud switch on my Gretsch. I roll off high frequencies to tame single coil pickups. I have four tone shaping profiles in the pedal's memory. My amp is a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. I use the loudness slider to bring the 5 watt loudness up to what I get on the 25 watt amp setting. This is the best $250 I've ever spent on gear. I've found heaven on earth. It's 5W from the Boogie and an EQ-200 profile to optimize the tone of each guitar.

12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

The MXR ten-band should do it. Easy to use and sensitive. Remember that it's eighteen-volt, not nine, so hang on to the wall wart that comes with it.

But to answer your question, I use four Danelectro Fish and Chips EQs behind my ABCD box. They cost less than the MXR, run off a nine-volt 1 Spot power supply, and work just fine.

13. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

A Dano Fish&Chips here. Had it for about 20 years now and still going strong.

I had a Boss some 30 years ago that I used with my acoustic when I played out in order to deal with any unwanted feedback. Sold it. Don't remember why.

I highly recommend EQ. To me, it's one of those secret weapons that every guitarist should have in their satchel.

14. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Boss GE-7, used as a mid-hump-solo-boost right after the drive pedals.

15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I used a GE7 for a long time. I dont much anymore, but they can be useful for changing various room/venue dynamics. I find much tweeking with the EQ kills tone a bit. Minor adjustments ok.
    The 10 Band MXR is maybe better, but realistically there's only a limited range of freq's that effect your guitar tone in a band mix. The MXR gives you more bands to adjust.

The GE7 is probably the one to start with. Very popular.

16. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

MXR 6-band. When I was using a mic'ed Valve Junior, it was a necessity.

It also helped some trying to cut the mud with a Peavey Classic and a hollowbody.

I've tried it pre- and post- distortion to give more bottom to a Rat, tame harshness from some pedals, or just change the contour of the dirt.

There is noticeable noise from it but it also has a lot of boost for each slider. Some of the noise may just be too much boost on a frequency that's already noisy. I'm not totally sure it's all the pedal's fault.

I'm not using it currently -- things are sounding ok without it right now -- but it's always there as an option.

17. Dietcokedream

Dietcokedream TDPRI Member

DOD FX40b

No complaints. Very helpful.

18. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

Pettyjohn Filter EQ here. I cannot recommend it enough.

Well chosen frequencies, nice shelf/Q options and sounds deliciously musical all day long. Super quiet - sometimes it even seems like it's reducing the amp's noise. Very high quality build. I wouldn't call it an "effect" - It's not extreme like some of the other EQ pedals I've tried, but adds that little something while giving more than adequate tone-shaping capabilities.
    (Full disclosure: I have the deluxe model with the discrete opamp. And it's only running at 24v. I just got my doubler in the mail, so I'm taking it on up to 36v next time I plug in.)

For tweaking an amp and giving it some excitement when it's running at low volumes, I've never seen anything better. I've moved it around on my board some and it (hands down) sounds best when it's the last thing before the amp. It loves that position. REALLY classes everything up.

It absolutely buries my Empress Para EQ, which might be cool to change the character of a dirtbox if it weren't so noisy.

SparkleFart likes this.
  19. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I oughta say, too: I've been down this rabbithole for a while. Compressors, EQs, amp changes, tube swaps, preamps, pickup swaps, "transparent overdrives", etc etc etc.

I just needed a little extra tone-shaping power for my amp - and I needed it to be quiet. It got very frustrating. I couldn't stand getting something close to what I wanted but missing the mark - like with Empress, setting the EQ to taste but having to wade through a wall of hiss to hear it. Or that pale green compressor - sounded fantastic and was quiet, but I needed more EQ control. (PGC might be an option worth trying, burntfrijoles.)

My research told me that all of these graphic EQ pedals (and most of the parametric ones) have an amplifier for each band. Every amplifier (especially cheap ones) introduce noise. So a GE7 will have at least 7 amplifying circuits, PLUS the output amp. No wonder they're noisy.

I saw @SparkleFart's post of that Pettyjohn Filter and started researching. Bought it, got and was completely satisfied in less than three days.

Funny how sometimes years of searching can be suddenly over like that.

SparkleFart likes this.
  20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

back in the rack days, a friend of mine had a 30-band eq ... or 32, can't remember

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.