EQD Special Cranker/DOD Carcosa: similar?

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I’m wondering if any of you have compared the Special Cranker and Carcosa.

I’m interested in the Special Cranker, but I’m wondering if my Carcosa in the Hali setting with the gain low would be similar enough.

Lies&Distortion

Tele-Afflicted
Curious myself. Was just comparing my Spiral Effects Demhe fuzz to see if I could get close to the clips I have heard.

Seems like it could get "sort of close" but still a bit different in character. Also, I noticed the Demhe is the most quiet fuzz pedal I have. Blew me away comparing it to some of my Muff clones.

Hoodster

Friend of Leo's
I had the Carcosa and the original Speaker Cranker and those two are nothing alike, for what it’s worth. I hated the Carcosa but the Cranker was one of the best pedals I’ve ever had and I am looking forward to getting the new one.

From the demos of the Special it’s possible that the higher gain settings are similar to the fuzz, but in my mind where the Cranker Electra circuit excels is as a low gain fat boost.

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
I had the Carcosa and the original Speaker Cranker and those two are nothing alike, for what it’s worth. I hated the Carcosa but the Cranker was one of the best pedals I’ve ever had and I am looking forward to getting the new one.

From the demos of the Special it’s possible that the higher gain settings are similar to the fuzz, but in my mind where the Cranker Electra circuit excels is as a low gain fat boost.

Thanks for your input. How are you using the Cranker?

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Haven’t tried the EQD.

But Tom Cram’s company, Spiral Electric Effects makes the Demhe. It rocks and it’s not super expensive.
When the guy who created the Carcosa says he has made it even better, believe him. I do. Check out Demhe.

Whateverdude

Tele-Meister
Haven’t tried the EQD.

But Tom Cram’s company, Spiral Electric Effects makes the Demhe. It rocks and it’s not super expensive.
When the guy who created the Carcosa says he has made it even better, believe him. I do. Check out Demhe.
The Demhe is definitely on my radar, I love my Carcosa, such a great fuzz that won’t break the bank.

I‘ve owned the Special Cranker and still have the Carcosa, the sounded nothing alike to me.

Last edited:

D_Malone

Tele-Afflicted
OP here. Thanks for the thoughtful replies, all. I think there may be a Special Cranker in my future.

Lies&Distortion

Tele-Afflicted
I can verify, no, they are not very similar.

Just tried a Special Cranker. Definitely the "Electra" sound. Similar to the Lovepedal Deluxe that I have, but capable of getting gnarlier.

But not the sharp crackle of a fuzz, softer/"spongier" response.

EDIT: just played some random stuff into a looper, then into Carcosa and Special Cranker. I could dial the Carcosa in to be pretty close.

Was going by memory earlier...

Last edited: