Eqd dunes vs Friedman dirty Shirley

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jed mac, Oct 24, 2021.

1. jed mac

jed mac Tele-Meister

So I’m very troubled and need some advice on making a decision.
    See to day I was offered two of the three od pedals I was looking at never expecting to get into and predicament like this.

I posted on another place I was looking at three overdrive pedals

eqd plunes
    Eqd dunes
    Friedman dirty Shirley.

explaind I only needed one and I got an email from two people offering the following

eqd dunes $160 cad
    Dirty dirty Shirley $180 cad

now I’ve wanted a dirty Shirley for a while but I’m also trying to save as much money as I can on quality pedals.

so from my understanding the dirty Shirley is $250ish cad before taxes so I’d be saving $70 before you apply taxes and shipping

the dunes is out of production and you see them for up to $280cad used on reverb so I’d be saving between $20-$120.

so yeah the choice is tough lol

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The Dunes seems to be a tube screamer variant while the Friedman is more of a sophisticated amp style circuit.
    I can see wanting both but TS variants are a dime a dozen and almost impossible to pick out (one vs another) in a recording as they tend to do the same basic mid hump OD thing.

3. jed mac

jed mac Tele-Meister

I thing you just help make my mind up

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh cool, I might buy one if it came up near me at a fair price.
    I find I like a good three band EQ on a dirt pedal if the clipping is to my taste too and too many Marshall style dirt pedals boost bass too much, so more EQ control is good.
    Some dirt is great with no EQ control too but you’re stuck with the one tone.

5. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I agree with telemnemonics. Of course, the TS-type OD is, for many of us and many listeners as well, fantastic, so it's a good thing, not a drawback, but you don't have to spend $$$ to get a fine one. I had a crap Ibanez Tone-Lok series, or whatever they called the really cheesy plastic-housed version, but a guy modded it to other specs for all of $20 and the result was fantastic. And that's just an example -- there are innumerable great TS types that don't require you to spend $$$ for the self-proclaimed "amazing/finesse" TS variants. The Dirty Shorley is more its own thing, what makes th proce justifiable in terms of the market, but not on an individual basis unless you actually like the tone. That's up to you. I would never, ever buy one because I hate the juvenile name so much I'm just not even interested, since there's no shortage of great OD options and I already have a KTR and two custom ODs. But a lot of people like it.

6. jed mac

jed mac Tele-Meister

What I like about the dirty Shirley is the three band eq. And I like the sound of the jtm 45 and that’s what the pedal is based off of

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.