1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

EQ pedal in a guitar signal chain- input, please

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by blowtorch, Nov 15, 2020.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

When I gigged with one it was always first in the chain
    since it colors everything else and has a bit of boost in it
    like it or not.

teleplayr likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I still don't get it, in the sense of what it can do that one of my 10 band EQ pedals can't.
    (I listened and read carefully)

3. gabeNC

gabeNC TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

MXR 10 band right before the amp, always on with a bass cut. Depending on the guitar being played (a homemade PRS clone I've named POS versus a tele) maybe a 2k boost.

However, just like almost every other thread around here, I get all kinds of great ideas from you gents. I'm going to try moving the delay after the EQ.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Okay, I'll try to describe it (I am no expert in this field), but first you need to understand your 10 band graphic equalizer, which I had the MXR 6 band version for years. Your EQ pedal is preselecting specific frequencies to adjust. What happens though is your volume seems to change as you cut or boost those frequencies and only certain frequencies. It is a crude way to equalize, but simple, quick and you can remember the shapes for future reference. These are the main reasons they are used in our guitar world, but the volume changes, so you need to adjust something else everytime you change the EQ. There are three other ways to EQ, "shelving", "parametric" and "shelving tilt". Shelving is essentially what is typically on your amp EQ ... treble, mid, bass. Very basic and cheap to implement, but doesn't help out squealing guitars very well. Both parametric and shelving tilt become more precise, because you can select the frequency you want instead of preselected like the graphic EQ. Shelving tilt EQ adds a very sophisticated circuit to balance the frequency that you are changing, so that there is less perceived changes in volume and other frequency losses.

I hope that helps.

5. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

You can be precise with choosing the exact frequencies for the highpass and lowpass filters, while a graphic EQ has fixed frequencies. Besides that, it looks like the main advantage to it is a minimal number of adjustable controls, to be able to dial it in quickly and intuitively.

IMO, it's still a tradeoff, especially since you can only boost at either 6dB or 12dB. That must be at least part of the reason why VFE discontinued it.

Personally, if I insisted on it having to be an EQ for guitar, and wanted it to be a graphic type, I'd probably look at something like the Mesa 5-band. Even though it's still fixed frequencies, at least they were chosen to be more guitar-specific, instead of being at octave increments, like the 7- and 10-band stuff is.

The Mesa 5-band is pricey though. You could get a WMD Utility Parametric EQ for considerably less, or even a Tech 21 Q\Strip for a little less (comparing new prices for all).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.