1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

EQ pedal as an overdrive

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by naveed211, Jan 25, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Anybody else using an EQ pedal as an overdrive?

I went to GC yesterday to get something to use with my AC15 clone, and out of everything I tried, I most liked the overdrive produced from a used Barber Barb EQ.

I had the level above unity and cranked the mids to about 2 or 3 o clock. To be fair I think there is some special voicing going on with the Barber (I’ve always been a fan of their pedals so I was probably a bit biased when I saw they had one), it’s not a transparent EQ pedal. But a really pleasing light overdrive with a bit of bark.

Festofish likes this.
  2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Not sure I get it, are you using it as a boost to overdrive the amp? Or does it overdrive itself?

3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Boost to overdrive the amp, I suppose.

Maybe I’m not doing anything that unique. I seem to read guys using them more for clean transparent boosts in solo situations. Hitting it hard and adding some mids seemed to function as an overdrive.

radiocaster and uriah1 like this.
  4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

a smiled when i read this.
    a EQ is never transparend, it alters the freq, so its boost ore cuts something that is ore is not there ;-)

Jakedog and Frodebro like this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Eh, it all made sense in my head at 5:30 AM. Maybe it’s time for second coffee....

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya,, boost..in certain freq which can turn
    into a od of sorts, I reckon but could get spikey
    real quick.

7. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Many EQs have a slider/knob simply for level not dependent on the frequency adjustments and these are much more flat.

Some even have level and gain controls, though it isn't exactly OD type gain.

blue17 likes this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I had an old DOD FX40B for many years, and the “volume” slider would give a great volume punch into the preamp of my Vibroverb, and would often goose it into a touch of overdrive...I was very sad when that pedal died—and I never found another equalizer that I liked as much, so it was never replaced.

9. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

At 33:35, Uncle Tom goes into his secret sauce with the boss eq pedal. Start listening to it at 32:00 to get the full context, but he seems to favor his boss eq as his favorite among them all...

10. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Love his playing and am subscribed to him, he’s an excellent follow. Maybe his influence came through subconsciously when making my decision.

11. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I am experimenting with this as well, using my Boss GE-7 as a 'solo boost' after my overdrive. Seems to work pretty well, combining an overall boost in gain + boosting the mid frequencies. Because my AC30 is already running at the edge of breakup this basically works as a boost+extra overdrive pedal for me.

Billy3 likes this.
  12. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

If an EQ isn't transparent when it's flat...

Billy3 likes this.
  13. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

If your Eq has volume control than it is a clean boost if you leave your frequencies flat. Start adjusting the frequencies and now you can flavor it. Eq's are a very useful and nice tool to have on hand. You can adjust your highs, lows, mids, and volume in infinite ways without messing with the settings on your other pedals. Very versatile and I feel maybe the most underrated pedal out there. Keep on pickin!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.