Epoxy Grain Filling

Valkyrie

TDPRI Member
I plan to use ZPoxy to grain fill my ash Esquire body. I’ve been scouring every video tutorial I can find and it looks like ash is a two coat minimum type wood. My plan is to sand the body up to a 220 grit then grain fill. After that I am going to basically build the guitar to completion, take it back down and do an antique white nitro finish. I’m really excited but I won’t be ready to start the project for about another month just because I have tons of home projects going on that we want to finish up this spring.

Any experiences with using this epoxy technique are greatly appreciated.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
You want to make sure that you get all of the epoxy off of the surface of the wood. Sanding it off afterwards is a real pain. I was unhappy using a plastic scraper for that because it left too much on the surface, so I used a razor blade instead. If I were to do that again, I'd round the corners of the razor to keep them from scratching the wood.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
Zpoxy is my pore filler of choice but I have never used it on ash. As with any finishing question, do all your experimenting on scraps of the same wood and go all the way thru your schedule. Here is how I use it

Last edited:

Valkyrie

TDPRI Member
Zpoxy is my pore filler of choice but I have never used it on ash. As with any finishing question, do all your experimenting on scraps of the same wood and go all the way thru your schedule. Here is how I use it

I’ve read that through and it’s awesome. I have some kitchen squeegees and a few old hotel room cards too that I have read work as a application tool. I don’t have any scrap ash so I’m gonna try on some red oak. It seems pretty open grained.