1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Epiphone Valve Junior head?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RawjerLee, Mar 28, 2011.

1. RawjerLee

RawjerLee Tele-Meister

Hi all,

new to this forum in a way... I've always been a guest.
    But because I found myself to coming back repeatedly, I thought that I might as well register.

I own a Squier Classic Vibe 50's telecaster (stock) and it was because of the members here that persuaded me to buy it.

Anywho, I was just wondering if there were any Valve Junior (head) owners out there? I'm planning on getting one, but I do have a little question:

There are 3 outputs(?) on the Valve Junior, 4ohm, 8ohm, and 16ohm, does this mean that I could plug in 3 cabs in there that match the ohm levels?

I bought the tele as a first electric guitar a month ago and I am using a Mustang Fender 1, so I'm kind of a newbie.

Cheers,
    Roger

2. canterbury

canterbury Tele-Meister

No, 1 cabinet at a time. The 3 choices are there so that you could use just about any cabinet you can get your hands on.

3. phillip lee

phillip lee TDPRI Member

I own a Valve JR. head, I've run it through a Jensen alnico 10 (best) a Jensen ceramic 8(good) a couple of Oxford 12 alnico theatre speakers( farty but interesting)and a Jensen Falcon 12 (kind of a letdown). The Head even powered a 15 in a Crate bass amp for awhile (smokin lows as you can imagine).
    I tried JJ tubes, went back to the stock Sovteks, then 12ay7 for more clean headroom.
    I run Vox Tonelab LE (ok), Digitech rp250 (better) and Digitech Reverb pedals through it. Now, I'm burned out on the thing! Good thing my Vox Pathfinder came in today.
    Tricks? It sounds better after it warms up a good while. Like 2 hours at 2 oclock on the volume.
    Good luck!

4. RawjerLee

RawjerLee Tele-Meister

@canterbury
    So it only allows for one cabinet at a time, but the inputs are there in case of variety? Because I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that a 1x12 = 4 ohms, 2x12 = 8 ohms, and 4x12 = 16?

@phillip lee
    I was also considering buying a Boss ME-25 with the backup plan buying a VoxTonelab ST just because it has tubes in it. Of course, because my local music store kinda sucks (Long & McQuade), they don't have everything in store. I was also thinking of getting a Marshall MG412 cab (as I do plan on gigging small places.) Would a 1x12 be enough for a mid-sized auditorium? If so, I can buy a VoxV112TV.

Thanks again :)

5. mrothe

mrothe Tele-Meister

6. RawjerLee

RawjerLee Tele-Meister

@mrothe

Thanks for all of those comments man, really helps when people are cooperative.
    But I do not have a PA system, however, if I did have one at hand, how is it possible to connect the amps to the mixing board? I do have a semi-home studio and I have an 8 input mixer. The mixer itself supports both 1/4" inputs and XLR inputs... but I never saw anything connecting guitars into there.

The mixer is an Alesis iMultimix 16 USB w/ iPod dock

7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

sorry double post. see below.

8. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

the valve junior head is generally not loud enough in a band practice or performance. Also to get it anywhere near even moderatly loud you will have lost any clean sound and be pretty heavily in to the crunch or distortion....

I tried, i love my VJR's... but no go......it does work quite well as a monitor and a multieffects going to the PA......ymmv using the left to pa and the right output to the amp....keep modelling and amp sim turned on in this case though....(on the effects unit)

9. slimodom

slimodom Tele-Meister

i like my VJ i did the bit mo mods to it swaped out the tubes put a JJ el84 im and a old westing housr 12ax7 long plate and run it in to a cab loaded with a 15 in big ben and for live showes i use that and a vox ac15

10. RawjerLee

RawjerLee Tele-Meister

@Mad Kiwi
    I'm not sure what you're getting at by saying that I should have "multieffects" going into the PA. Are you talking about the pedals? Because I know that the BOSS ME-25 has output L and R. I try to use my modelling amp, but it's a bit small (Mustang 1/ 20watt)

@slimodom
    Swapping out tubes? I'll think about it when I do actually purchase the amp. How much was your cab? And I can't afford an AC15. I actually wanted an AC30 to start, but I can't even affor the AC15... haha

11. slimodom

slimodom Tele-Meister

i picked thcab up in a pawn shop for 100 bucks it is a bass cab with a 15 sounds good for guitar and the sealed cab gives the VJ a good low end and the bit mo mods were great cost was 50 bucks or so and addeda 3 way vocing switch and a tone controll wnd a boost on the tone pot its a push pull pot and the kit was easy to put in first one i did want well

12. RawjerLee

RawjerLee Tele-Meister

@slimodom

So basically, a bass cabinet will work with the guitar? I do like the crunchy stuff (according to rumours, 2 o'clock?)

13. slimodom

slimodom Tele-Meister

also if you want to gig with it i have just used th VJ and micked it worked well also somthing you can do is to keep the volume lower and preamp it with like a mxr micro amp you will git more clwan head room doing that i did that using a didgitec rp500 and that was with a 3pice blues rock trio

14. RawjerLee

RawjerLee Tele-Meister

So if I wanna gig with a regular cab, I should just mic it? Because that's the last thing that I want to do since the spaces that I played acoustically have a limited supply of inputs in their power mixer.

15. slimodom

slimodom Tele-Meister

yes the bass cab wors good for me keeps the low end tight sorta like a 4 12 cab yes around it starts to breack up in to the crunch zone it takes peadels well also

16. RawjerLee

RawjerLee Tele-Meister

@slimodom

That's awesome, man.
    Like I had stated, I wanna pair it up with a Marshall MG412 cab, but people are saying that it's not the best cab. I don't think that I'd need to mic that if I were playing smaller-middle sized gigs.

17. slimodom

slimodom Tele-Meister

well it will hang with a 3 pice easy it just depends on how loud every one in the band plays

18. RawjerLee

RawjerLee Tele-Meister

@slimodom

That's awesome, thanks a lot man.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.