Epiphone Standard 60s LP vs Gibson LP Tribute

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Smallbutslow, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:10 AM.

1. Smallbutslow

Smallbutslow TDPRI Member

Here's the situation:

$599.00 for the Epiphone 60s LP, they are backlogged, could be months before it gets here. Or Les Paul Tribute for 999.00, they've got scads of them in stock; red, black, white, walnut. And they have several demos for 899.00, so that's an option.

Can I get some opinions on the pros and cons of each? Who has one of either, what do you think of it?

Thanks!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

I. Me. Personally.....have never played an Epiphone that was very inspiring. Not ripping on them, or maybe I need to play more of them, but that's my experience. I WANT to love them because of the price point but head to head...it's not happening.

My last experiment was at Sweetwater in Feb. where I purposely played a number of Epi's, some Gibson Tributes, Studios and Classics.

For your two proposed guitars, I would get the Gibson.

For me too, the budget and also getting a good deal is important. That said, in the range you are talking about I'd recommend a used Gibson Studio.

posttoastie likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm an Epi owner and general budget 'player' guitar fan. ( and I just can't afford a Gibson )
    Very happy with a ( got last year) 2018 ( '66 style) Epi SG

(and this guitar just has much better pickups and pots from the '90's and early 2000's Epis I've owned)

Here is a nice review of a few of the ' Inspired by Gibson' Epis here- just to reference specs and materials

https://guitar.com/review/electric-...ul-special-les-paul-standard-50s-sg-standard/

4. miguelalmeida

miguelalmeida TDPRI Member

I can only say that I own an Epi LP Standard 50s from the Inspired by Gibson range and the guitar is great.
    Sounds good, looks good and nothing feels cheap on it.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I have a 2017 Tribute and it's a fine lively guitar, bright, not too heavy, stays in tune, arrived in good playing shape with a proper setup. I believe they Plek these things. Don't know if this is all of 'em but this example is a very nice guitar and worth every penny. The finish on mine is very light & already starting to relic around the edges, which I regard as a feature, not a bug. Haven't played the Epi so can't compare.

posttoastie likes this.
  6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I should add that mine is the maple cap / satin finish version and not the all-mahogany version. The maple cap adds a lot of zing & brightness to the sound. I had one of the all-mahogany ones a few years back & it felt much less alive in the hands. I would go the extra couple of hundred for the satin.

posttoastie likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've been considering the same, except with SG's. While I like my super cheap and modded Epiphone SG Special, I would like to get a set neck one.

Availability is a big deal right now as you mentioned. Epiphones are probably sitting in a ship off the CA coast and will be there for some time. No telling what all that time at sea is going to do them too. As for Gibson's we have the standard "Gibson QC is awful" boogieman to consider.

I'm not big into this or that finish means "better tonez" but the Gibson has nitro vs the Epiphone having poly. I've generally found the poly finish on vintage style Epiphones to be of reasonable thickness while it can be rather thick on some modern styled ones, presumably to protect the fancy veneers.

Electronics are going to be good on either. While I didn't care for the stock pickups in my cheap SG, the electronics were fine. I've installed a set of Epiphone Probuckers in a friend's guitar (another cheaper Epiphone) and they sounded good there.

Neck profiles are slightly different but not radically different. Nut, hardware and so forth are good on both.

The elephant in the room is resale and "pride of ownership" value which the Gibson should, in theory, have a whole more of.

8. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If you have never owned a Gibson, by all means grab that "Tribute", if you have played a Epiphone, get the Epi. Unless you have have headstock logo issues, there is a fairly straightforward answer, you know what it is.

9. Smallbutslow

Smallbutslow TDPRI Member

Man this is an active forum. Sweetwater is where I'm looking. With all the demand, I can't help but think the epiphones might wind up being slapped together to get them out the door. The longer the wait drags out with all those available Tributes, the 2 or 3 hundred extra bucks won't seem as big a deal.

10. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you're a DIY person there is a stripped LP Tribute for $549 at Stratosphere parts, you would need to get your own pickups and hardware by the time you're done it would probably cost nearly the same as the complete new guitar. I did that a few years ago with an LP Tribute and picked up most of the parts on eBay, I'm happy with it. I like the satin finish on the Tribute model especially on the neck, my LP Studio lacquer feels too sticky sometimes.

https://stratosphereparts.com/bodies-with-necks/

11. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

I have a Gibson 60's Tribute goldtop w/p90's, I think the 2011 version. No binding, no clearcoat over the extremely thin gold paint, had to take it in to have the frets & fingerboard edges smoothed. 300K pots & teeny-tiny tone caps which I had to change. Then a couple years ago I saw the Epiphone version used at GC. Beautiful, great workmanship, authentic in every way except the headstock of course. $300, 1/3 the price I paid for the Gibson. Didn't get it because like the man said above, I've never found an imported Epiphone that was inspiring, that I could bond with. Personal hang-up I guess. But I still (lightly) kick myself for passing up that goldtop.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

They've probably already shipped but sitting in the massive container ship traffic jam.

13. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

I recently made a similar decision but between the Epi LP Junior and the Gibson DC Junior Tribute. In the end, I decided that I wanted a real Gibson.

It is an interesting dilemma though. On one hand you have an Epiphone that will be closer to the original spec. On the other, you have a "cost-down" version from Gibson. Which is more of a "real" Les Paul? I think that you can win the argument on either side.

14. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

I've never put my hands on a modern Gibson Tribute, but I've had a '74 Les Paul Deluxe since 1978. About a month ago I bought one of the new Epiphone '59 Standards. Hands down, the Epiphone is the better instrument. I've been waffling for years over selling the Gibson, but this decided it for me. Granted, there's probably no comparison between a 1970s Gibson and a modern one -- but there's also no comparison between a 1970s Gibson and a modern, top-of-the-line Epiphone.

I opted for the '59 over the Epi '60s Standard (my second choice) because the Gibson pickups in the '59 just sing. The '60s Standard pickups would have been perfectly fine for me, but once I heard the '59, there was no going back. Those pickups and the included hard case made the extra $ worth it for me.

15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

Oh my! I love the satin Tobacco Burst. This would be a fun project, but I just bought my Gibson Junior with the reasoning that it would be my one "nice" guitar. Must resist...:confused:

16. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

LOL ... it's really a question of perspective.

It could be seen as Epiphones can't be kept in inventory they sell so well. Gibson Tributes on the other hand don't sell so well, so they are discounted to get them out the door.

17. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Never had an Epiphone I really liked. Have two tributes and a studio and the tributes are a better instrument

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I love My Epiphone SG Special. However, the only original parts are neck, body, pickguard and switch. Everything else was upgraded. Guitar was used and cost me $100. Extra upgrade parts were $450 for a total of $550 Still cheaper than a Gibson and made of Mahogany like a Gibson. Gibson is Overpriced.

I had a Gibson LP Studio back in the 90's and it was a great guitar and they go for $1k used - $1.5k new.
    My DeArmond M72 Bluesbird is every bit as good as that Gibson LP Studio I had and at half the cost.

I love Gibson guitars, but I'll probably never own another one because I refuse to pay an inflated price for something I can get and improve for half the cost or less.

19. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

imho...get the Gibson. I've never had any regrets after selling an Epiphone. I regret selling every Gibson I've ever owned except one that was butchered...that's one I never should have purchased in the first place. Nothing against Epiphones nor Squires for that matter. Good luck.

20. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

This is how it starts man, let me tell you...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.