Epiphone SL Mega Mod

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by HolyTele Tube, Mar 29, 2018.

1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Yeah,
    The frets on my two are all over the place. I just strung them up and set them up for playing slide.

I have the tools to do a fret level / dress, but I just don't want to invest that much time.
    They are great for playing slide, I love the tone. I have one in Open E and one in Open D. :D
    Great Mod Job HolyTele Tube. Looks awesome! ;)

HolyTele Tube likes this.
  2. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Nice work, but if I were going to invest that amount of time and effort, I think I would try to work off a better platform to begin with. How great is it ever going to be? Maybe better than I imagine.

3. FenderGyrl

They are cool guitars.
    Modding them is fun. You can make them your own!
    SL CHERRYBURST 252 (2).jpg

Minimalist518 likes this.
  4. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

pics fine now nice one

5. HolyTele Tube

HolyTele Tube TDPRI Member

I doubt it will ever be great but Even with time and parts I don’t have that much in it. It’s been fun to take risks with this guitar that I never would have on a more expensive one.

zippofan, FenderGyrl and richey88 like this.
  6. FenderGyrl

What?

7. HolyTele Tube

I’m glad he’s not my Luthier. I would be afraid to use that gig bag anymore either. I’m guessing it cost more than the guitar. The neck feels fine to me. Kind of like the neck on my Les Paul Special.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  8. Believer

Believer Tele-Meister

Mine is a really neat little guitar! I replaced the tuners with a set of close-out Klusons ($16 from StewMac) and that's all it needed. Frets are very nice, good low-to-medium action, and the pickups sound good as well. The body is very resonant, and has plenty of sustain. So what if the neck bolts on, all Fenders have bolt-on necks. Best $115 ($99 guitar + $16 tuners) I've ever spent on a guitar. It's basically Epiphone's version of a Melody Maker!

zippofan and HolyTele Tube like this.
  9. HolyTele Tube

CEAF8C20-BE52-48E5-872A-050A91E0DFAA.jpeg image.jpg The bootstrap Pickups came in and I loaded them up over the weekend. I had a pair wound with a stray neck and tele bridge. They sound great, not like a fender but really clear and bell like. The guitar came out very nice. The tuners gave the headstock a comfortable heft and the total package sounds great.

I forgot to attach the ground wire and noticed that this is the only guitar I own where I can remove all the electronics without removing the strings. If I was into pickup swapping it would be easy to rig up a quick change setup.

FenderGyrl and zippofan like this.
  10. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I've been enjoying the heck out of this guitar, and I'm happy I got mine. I used up some parts that were just in my stash, and learned/practiced some lutherie in the process. If you know what you're doing and have spare parts, have at it, it's a hoot.

11. HolyTele Tube

I agree. I have had a great time modding this little guitar. I am having a great time playing it as well.

zippofan likes this.
  12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I thought this one sounded decent in the video. Those Lipsticks are great with some distortion and a slide.

13. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My current plan for my SL is to get rid of the neck pickup, replace the bridge with an A8 strat sized tele pickup for Zhangbucker that is tapped at about 7 and 10.5k. use the toggle for the tap, use a jackpot for the volume to go straight to output and maybe even a no-load on the tone for more options.

zippofan likes this.
  14. HolyTele Tube

Sounds like a great plan!

ftbtx likes this.
  15. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Zhangbucker makes great pickups, he wound me a set for my Squier 51 and just nailed it.

ftbtx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.