Epiphone SG Prophecy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Strato50, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Got this from a guy on FB. It had a neck break that GC fixed. Broke right at the scarf. Seems to be okay with 10s at pitch. But for 50 bucks I figured the pickups were worth that. Has an ebony fretboard. Shame people can’t take care of nice guitars. If it snaps I will do a better repair on it. Those EMGs are heavy sounding. Not my bag but they do scream. :twisted:

Attached Files:

stormsedge, Zepfan, Macrogats and 2 others like this.
  2. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

$50 well spent in my opinion.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Strato50 likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Use some black stain on the chipped areas, Minwax 'true black'.
    Get some 'Thin' CA at hobby lobby to let seep under the chipped finish to lock it down against further chipping.
    Get some 'Thick' CA at hobby lobby to 'drop fill' the chips.
    Scrape, sand the CA level and buff up to 1500 grit and polish with McGuiers automotive polish.

If EMG are not your favorites (not mine), you can pull the whole harness and pickups in as close to one or two pieces as possible, and then ebay new pickups, pots, switch, jack and have a really good player. Save the original EMG setup and if you ever sell you can either replace it (saving whatever you upgraded with for another guitar) or sell with the guitar so the next owner can do that swap if they want.

Strato50 likes this.
  4. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, I agree. That’s a very sharp looking guitar.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Saw a bunch of SG's locally for sale over the last week and a half, now that I've decided to get one they're all gone.

6. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I hear you there are 3 right now locally for sale. I might sell this one. I ordered some good tuners for it last night. The Grovers are not very good and are slipping. I’m gonna have a little fun with it for a bit and make sure it’s gonna hold up okay. It’s sounds good. I really like an ebony board. It’s not a dark sounding guitar at all.

Zepfan likes this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Nice SG. I just got one (Pro) and really like it.

Strato50 likes this.
  8. Zepfan

Love those Ebony boards.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a luthier mate ( since 1980) and he calls them Snap-o-phones. Reckons he does one a week at least.
    That scarf joint is supposed to strengthen that area and prevent snapping. For $50 you could fix it, sell the EMG pickups and it'll be alright. The glue must be cheap- my son's mate fixed an old acoustic with Titebond ( the Red Label original) that I lent him and it's perfect.

10. Zepfan

DSCF3537.JPG This SX guitar was in 2 pieces when I got it. The neck joint wasn't glued very good. So I used the Titebond Glue and a plate with 2 screws on the back to fix it. Works great, plays great, sounds great with no issues at all. DSCF3556.JPG

Strato50 likes this.
  11. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Guitar is holding up fine I pick it up in the morning and it’s still in tune other that the G slipping a bit. That is the cheap grovers the bushing on that one is gone. I think the repair is solid. They use TiteBond at GC. At least I did when I was a tech there. I sanded it so you can’t really feel the fix. It’s a great guitar for what I’ve got in it. New tuners today and that’s all I’m doing to it.

Zepfan likes this.
  12. Zepfan

I broke down and ordered a SG kit from Stewmac today, they were almost half price. Couldn't resist any longer.

The cheaper tuners can be a crap shoot. Most of the sealed types have been good for me so far. Been buying mine from C.B.Gitty.com for about 14 bucks a set of 6 3x3 types. Bought several sets for that price, anybody's guess if the second batch they offer will be as good though.;)

A repaired neck can often last a life time if done right and I think you got it right. Have fun with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.