Epiphone Olympic/Coronet/Wilshire/Crestwood Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by widefault, May 8, 2021.

1. widefault

widefault Tele-Meister

For my birthday last year I bought myself an Aged Pelham Epiphone Wilshire Pro. The color is supposed to replicate a Pelham Blue finish with lacquer that has yellowed, but let's face it, it's lime green.

[​IMG]

I liked it a whole lot, the body shape and light weight made it so comfortable to play. So a couple weeks later I bought one a little older.

[​IMG]

1967 Olympic. Very similar to a Coronet, but for 1/3 the price and with a single Melody Maker pickup in the bridge. This one I absolutely adore. It helps that there is something very Tele-like about the tone of the pickup.

Then about a month later, this one crossed my path.

[​IMG]

'66 Worn Wilshire with mini-HBs. The lightest of the bunch, and the satin finish feels great to play.

And then another month goes by and this arrives

[​IMG]

Coronet "Reissue" in purple. Made in Korea in the 90s, came with OBL pickups that sound pretty nice. This one is a heavyweight and doesn't get played much as a result.

At that point I didn't run across another I had to have, then at Christmas I found this at a very good discount

[​IMG]

2020 Coronet Reissue. Other than a couple frets that needed to be leveled, it's a damned nice guitar.

Then this showed up for my birthday this year

[​IMG]

~2011 Coronet Promotional model for Milk Rocks. This is a real cheaply made one with a bolt-on neck, but still very light weight. This one will be getting a new pickguard, just not sure what I plan to do yet.

And a week later, got a ridiculous deal, so this was added.

[​IMG]

2012 Limited Edition TV Silver Wilshire Pro. Supposedly only 1000 made, although that's really not that low of a number. Basically the same guitar as the green one and currently the one that gets played the most.

And of course, one month after that, this popped up.

[​IMG]

~2011 Baskin Robbins/Dunkin Donuts Family Day promotional Coronet. Autographed by Trace Adkins and Lauren Alaina and I assume given away at the Family Day event. Same as the Milk Rocks guitar. Epiphone made a ton of these for promos around 2010/2011.

So, yeah, I like the Olympic/Coronet/Wilshire/Crestwoods. Next on the list is probably going to be one of the Japanese made 70's models, although before I start shopping I should probably clear out some other stuff so there's room.

Now, show me what you got! And if anyone owns a '59 Coronet, I am horribly jealous.

sloppychops, clayville, mimmo and 2 others like this.
  2. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Wow, that's quite the collection. Nice work! My friend bought a 2020 Coronet, Wiltshire and Crestwood. I haven't tried any of them yet though and he's sold the Crestwood already.

I won't make you horribly jealous as I haven't got '59 Coronet. I do have a 1960 one though so you should be OK.

1_IMG_20191023_223813.jpg

drlucky and 39martind18 like this.
  3. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in with my Crestwood & Wilshire!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    @widefault nice collection you've got there ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    drlucky likes this.
  4. mally

mally Tele-Afflicted

I got one yesterday ! will put pictures on in a bit

5. widefault

widefault Tele-Meister

Yeah, that's making me a little jealous.

The 59 is my "ideal", but I also realize I'd have to sell off a huge chunk of my gear to afford one.

6. mally

mally Tele-Afflicted

Here it is cleaned it up today !
    20210510_210429.jpg

drlucky likes this.
  7. mally

mally Tele-Afflicted

20210510_210439.jpg

8. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

The only guitar I ever sold was my first: a mid 70s MIJ Epiphone ET-275 - the sunburst variety with the three-on-a-side headstock and a whammy bar that would rarely return to tune. Decades later, purely for the nostalgia, I picked up this mid 70s MIJ stop-bar ET-276 (also 3+3 headstock) in rich corinthian mahogany-colored basswood, I believe. The only thing I've done to it is replace the peeling chrome tail with a cheap lightning-bolt intonated one. It's a featherweight snarling beast, and somewhat head-heavy.

Tone Chase likes this.
  9. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

IMG_1858.jpg

2020 Wilshire I just got a couple weeks ago. I stained the fretboard black. Surprisingly nice guitar, but wasn't expecting the neck dive issue.

clayville and drlucky like this.
  10. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

Many, though not all, of the examples up thread have the neck side strap button on the horn rather than centered. I wonder if moving it would help the neck dive?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.