I'm going to a band rehearsal.. yeah... good times

I wanted to break out the big guns.
I dug these out... problem is...
Way too heavy for 63 year old FG.
So...I'm at a crossoads.

Why hang onto something that's too heavy to play? :confused:

What drag it is...getting old.:(
MJ

These are two older Epi's and the one on the right is newer with coil splitting. The other two are early 2000 made in the Unsung Factory.
View attachment 895849 View attachment 895850 View attachment 895851 View attachment 895852
Exactly why I put together my mongrelcaster with its Paulownia body. My 1993 Tele is 8 lbs, my PRS SE One is 8 lbs, my Grote 335 is 8 lbs......and even with a well padded Levy's strap, on a rehearsal or gig I just suffered. But when I built my 5 lb "Taz", I was able to get the weight down, get the precise neck dimensions I wanted, and install my perfect Bootstrap Pickups. I'm not one to accumulate or collect a bunch of guitars.....when I find the right one, I'm good. ;)

GAS Giant

Tele-Meister
As Epis creep upward in price, you can still find some good Japanese LP guitars. I found an Orville by Gibson LPC last year for dirt cheap. It needed a significant repair, but was off to the races afterwards...stock Bill Lawrence pickups, fantastic fit and finish...sounds a-mazing...not remotely weight relieved and using the same slab construction that Gibson used at the time...so bring your bionic shoulder. Nonetheless, the build quality of the Fujigen and Torada factory guitars of late 70s-early 90s is very high and an interesting alternative to an Epi (or get em both and you are still half or 1/3 the price of an R8).

FenderGyrl

Poster Extraordinaire
The JR did the job.
It was Snotty and Snarly for the set I played.
Best thing about the Vintage Dimarzio...
When you cut the tone back it sounds like a Cocked Wah,
Which is Mick Ronsons sound, which I needed. Ziggy Stardust and Jean Jeanie were in my set. The Slider and Bang A Gong by TRex. White Light White Heat by Ronno and Sweet Jane by Lou Reed.
And The New York Dolls Stranded In The Jungle.
Man I wanted to strap on a big hollowbody for that one. It was a Glam Rock Wet dream.
Or a Nightmare. :twisted::p

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

I laugh at the Gibson threads where they are complaining about weights and their opinions on 'weight relieved' bodies ... dudes, just get an Epiphone Special II or Junior! They weigh like six pounds or half of all the Gibson shenanigans. The only reason Gibson keeps the weights they do is to match the 50s guitars and because most consumers equate heavy weight with premium prices. Too light and it's a toy they think, the weight justifies the price they pay.

FG, you should have taken one of the spruced up First Acts ;)
The Epiphone Special was a good choice though.

Problem for me with epiphones is the pickups and wiring. Once you rip those out and put in something decent you’re quite well set up for a fraction of the cost...

You only need to swap the wiring harness parts. The stock pickups are fine. Measure and carefully select the Pots 'n Caps and you can push the tone wherever you want. $20 or less can fix any guitar.

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's
My 2013 Slash Rosso Corsa model has the 9 hole weight relief and weighs under 8 pounds. I love it.

fullsizeoutput_f3.jpeg

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
There's no point playing a guitar that does not feel good, physically, to handle as you play. Since it's no longer necessary to use a big, fat, hefty guitar to get sustain and thick tones, there's no need to strap on some overweight instrument. It's not that 10 -11 lbs is going to kill anyone, it's simply... why bother with it? I gave away my beloved old (deadweight) goldtop and thought I would miss it. I do not.

tubejockey

Tele-Holic
+1 on the Epi Ultra. I picked up one for 300 bucks used, in great condition. With a new set of pickups, it is a great LP for 6lbs-12oz.

I too have had to find some lighter guitars to deal with my back issues (I am still recovering from my 4th stenosis in the last 5 years). I built a paulownia tele that came in a 5lb-13oz total. It sounds great, growly and snappy the way a tele should. My next project is a paulownia strat with P90s.

msalama

Tele-Holic
It was a Glam Rock Wet dream.

You've got good taste in music. Bowie, Ronno, Bolan, Mott the Hoople and them first... and then a bit later, Ramones, Pistols, AC/DC with Bon Scott... that's like my youth in a nutshell!

Had the Ziggy hairdo and everything when I was a lad. All the young dudes, eh? Those were the times...

*wipes his eyes surreptitiously*

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Excellent selection of vintage rock.

Using a Jr or similar uncapped LP like a Special was going to be my suggestion. Lots of tone, none of the weight. Or the SG, although that's a different feel.

Sell the LP's and buy something you want to play. No sense having them if they aren't useable.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I grew up idolizing people that played Les Pauls, and my first guitar was a thin body Hondo copy. But eventually I got to play a real LP and discovered I hated it, too heavy and bulky, terrible ergonomics for me and how I play.

The SG has become my favourite, and the Flying V is a great option too. I've not tried any, but I think I could like an LP Special DC.

If your guitars aren't working for you, find ones that will.

Dude: You just mentioned ergonomics... and suggested a Flying V was a good choice.

msalama

Tele-Holic
Sell the LP's and buy something you want to play. No sense having them if they aren't useable.

This. Although I'd mention that switching from LPs to, say, SGs can be awkward first because the dimensions and weight / weight distribution are so different, and SGs can be neck heavy as well. A matter of getting used to of course, but still - they're completely different beasts IMO. Or I don't know, maybe a chambered LP or a Junior or some such instead?

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm going to a band rehearsal.. yeah... good times

I wanted to break out the big guns.
I dug these out... problem is...
Way too heavy for 63 year old FG.
So...I'm at a crossoads.

Why hang onto something that's too heavy to play? :confused:

What drag it is...getting old.:(
MJ

These are two older Epi's and the one on the right is newer with coil splitting. The other two are early 2000 made in the Unsung Factory.
View attachment 895849 View attachment 895850 View attachment 895851 View attachment 895852

three of a kind beat a pair those are hotcha instruments. It's not my back or shoulders so my vote is negligible, and in the spirit of can't mind his own business and positive reinforcement , pause
just image that you played a Hammond B-3 Organ through a pair of old school Leslie speakers, now doesn't that ease your "I'm to old doubts". I admit I bought a nice wooden stool from Target to park the back porch on when I'm playing my heavy guitars . for me after 9 pounds "it's take a seat grampa'" time for me.
images (10).jpg

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
10+ lbs is crazy. I have a Strat-shaped Silvertone that weighs 8.8 lbs and that's already getting heavy. It's heavier than my Indio 66 DLX Plus Goldtop that's 7.7 lbs. I absolutely love that guitar. It's weight is perfect and it looks and sounds amazing!

fuzz guy

Tele-Meister
Dude: You just mentioned ergonomics... and suggested a Flying V was a good choice.

I find it to be one of the most comfortable guitars to play standing up. It hangs in just the right spot for me, the controls are out of the way but easy to get to and has great upper fret access. Obviously not the greatest while sitting, but that's why they invented straps, and the OP is looking for options on a different gigging guitar.

fuzz guy

Tele-Meister
And after just playing my V for 30 minutes I was reminded of more ways they are great ergonomically and for gigging. It's a really comfortable guitar to move around with on stage. It also makes a really strong visual statement, and it's the only guitar I can think of that doesn't need a stand (although I generally use one anyway).

I think a Flying V might be my favourite gigging guitar. :cool:

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I find it to be one of the most comfortable guitars to play standing up. It hangs in just the right spot for me, the controls are out of the way but easy to get to and has great upper fret access. Obviously not the greatest while sitting, but that's why they invented straps, and the OP is looking for options on a different gigging guitar.

Don't get me wrong - I love the look of a V being played on stage. Wanted one since I first saw video of J Geils playing one on stage when I was a kid. Coolest guitar ever.

I'd just never use the term "ergonomic" to describe a guitar you can't really play sitting down. Yeah, I know about using it in the Classical position but still.

I'd look at it like I describe my convertible: it has a tiny porthole window out the back. Big rear corner side panels. Rear visibility is terrible when the roof is up with huge blind spots. A two door convertible is one of the worst cars to drive for rearward visibility. I won't even take it into the city top up. It's that bad.

But, put the top down and visibility is 100%! So, on average, it has average visibility! As long as I drive it top down half the time.

I love to drive it. Either way, I'm willing to sacrifice to drive it top down when I can and would not give it up. I'm going to figure a Flying V is the same thing.

Last edited: