1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard 50's - Anyone?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by AlexEP, May 5, 2020.

1. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

backporchmusic and rangercaster like this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Buy it !!!

Epiphone is owned by Gibson ...

They have an interest in you eventually upgrading, so they make a good product ...

AlexEP likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve yet to play this model but All I can say is to watch out for the frets on the new models as sometimes they are not all level, I’ve never had any problems with the frets on mine though

The epiphones I have especially my most recent one has excellent fit and finish

I think if it didn’t have the poly finish you’d probably have a hard time telling the difference from a gibson

AlexEP and rangercaster like this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The only reason they can make them cheaper is by cutting corners somewhere ... poly finish is one area ... electronics and fretwork are another . ..
    And labor costs, also ...

AlexEP likes this.
  5. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

AlexEP and backporchmusic like this.
  6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I guess I got lucky with the inspired by SG I got before all hell broke loose. This looks real nice and the electronics are majorly improved. Let us know what your thoughts are? Cool!

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It will be interesting to see how the neck profile is. I've tried some older model Epiphone 50's LP's and found the neck to be too chunky for my taste.

8. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

I don't have that model, but a couple of years I was gasing for vintage style LP with a huge neck, and found that the JB gold top limited edition had vintage specs, the largest neck offered on an LP style, and real Gibson pickups. As far as LP style and vibe and tone it is spot on. The workmanship is excellent.

Found one on ye old internet and the price was really good. I'm a Fender guy, but if I was looking for an LP style guitar I would get another Epiphone. YMMV

Sneaks likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm waiting for the new line of Epi Standard SG's to get back in stock at Sweetwater- have always wanted a Cherry SG, and the 'inspired line' seems like a great value.

That LP is just beautiful!

AlexEP likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Labor costs are the biggie. American labor rates vs. wherever else in the world.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The descriptive nonsense in that first link reminds me of the Guitar Fetish product descriptions. I love GFS, but you know what I'm sayin'. :D

12. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Despite the naysayers on this thread, the Epiphones are fantastic guitars. I owned the earlier released "59 Standard" and I did switch the pups out for Seymour Duncans. It was a beautiful, easy playing and awesome sounding guitar, sold it to a buddy who "had to have it". Epiphone's rarely have issues with sharp frets or the "finish" unless your buying, the very least expensive entry level guitar, much as you would expect from any manufacturers entry level guitars. Do the materials cost as much? Nope, does the labor to build them cost as much as it does in the USA, nope. That explains much of the price difference right there, I own several Epi's, currently my ES 335 Pro is my most played guitar, followed by my Nash T-63, then my Squier Esquire. If you want that guitar, I would recommend it. I think it will be interesting if this world situation causes the "made in China" guitars to become unavailable, they might even become a little more sought after. We will see:cool:

Sneaks, AlexEP, bgmacaw and 1 other person like this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Another, often overlooked, cost savings is the supply chain cost. Most guitar and guitar part factories in China are congregated around a single industrial complex just north of Shenzhen. This means that shipping cost on parts is almost nil since the factories are virtually next door to each other.

rangercaster likes this.
  14. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I’m sure it’s an excellent guitar, but any of my LP needs have been filled for years by the Agile AL-3XXX line from Rondo Music. Also Asian imports, but my goodness the quality is second to none. I did put different pickups in mine (due to personal preference, certainly not due to necessity) but other than that, there’s nothing about the specs of my current 3200 that wouldn’t match or be superior to just about any LP I can think of.

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

I noticed that upcoming '1959' model has a rosewood fretboard, which is nice to see back on the Epiphone line-up.

16. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I have a 2016 Epi LP Goldtop. Really fantastic to play and sounds wonderful.

The only issue I had were the PUs, so I swapped for some Duncan's and put on a bone nut... it's now one of my best playing and sounding guitars.

17. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Yes, I saw this but it seems that in Italy it is not available. I have no hurry

BluesGuitarMart likes this.
  18. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

Well I have had several Epiphone guitars and I never regretted my purchase. I was looking for a classic LP (despite I already have a 70's Ibanez LP 2350 model)
    IMG_20200229_174201.jpg

19. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

My trusty Epiphone Goldtop sleeper - everyone who plays it is impressed. My luthier asked to buy it or have first refusal if I ever wanted to sell. ><

IMG_20200505_164257.jpg IMG_20200505_164235.jpg IMG_20200505_164243.jpg

nicknklv and AlexEP like this.
  20. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere just yet. Thomann have pre order but no pictures of the guitar itself, I haven't heard when they're going to be officially released but has to be 2020 at some point.

AlexEP likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.