1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Epiphone les Paul special GC sale

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RhythmFender, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Pigtail, which was the lowest profile wraparound I could find a few years back. But there are any number of good ones out there now.

tubegeek likes this.
  2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I put a cheap MusicLily adjustable wraparound on my Epi LP SL, set up and intonation is great.

3. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

I'd look on stewmac.com or philadelphia luthier supply. One piece wraparound or 2 piece tune o matic bridge it is personal choice what you like. There are more options with the 2 piece set up. which one is best? the one you like.

4. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Take a closer look at the photo of my friend the Melody Maker: the two piece is not an option here.

FYI: I have an inexpensive Epiphone wraparound on its way via eBay, if I decide I LOVE the new (old) one-piece non-adjustable setup I'll probably get one of the fancier aftermarket wraparounds that are available, we'll see.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  5. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

I was just at Sam Ash the other day and I saw Epiphone SG's, that have incredible potential. The action was little high, and funny enough I asked saleman if he minded if I lowered it down and he said good luck. Well they must have putzed with them before because even loosening the strings would not allow the bridge to lower. There was a lower-priced p90 model and a higher-priced with HB's. As advertised it said alNico pickups. It was all mahogany it looked about four pieces to the body, and then I got into a small argument well I thought it was a discussion, as I kept an open mind but I stand firmly on my own knowledge, but the salesman lost his poker face with looks that I could only described as annoyed. With the chamfers around the edge, to me there was clearly a thin laminate on the face and back. I don't know what problem he had with the word laminate but he wasn't producing any stronger word, just annoyed with mine. Anyway they have new headstocks which I think are 100% better than the old, unless we're talking about the very very old which they are more like which is good to me. This guitar was super light and it had a real good snap, a real acoustic ring when U pluck a string un amplified. These were more in the $300 range actually I think it's 350 400 range but really all it needed was a setup just lower the strings and straighten the neck a little. Funny that brings up another thought about how I pass down a row of similar guitars and Wack a string and see which one rings... That'll get you kicked out of the store or at least bring down the guards for touching them, though there's no mention at all of changing money which is probably filthier than the floor of an outhouse in/on skid row.

6. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

yes a one big piece of metal bridge on 2 studs/fixed transferring the string vibration into the solid body would have a different resonance frequency/sound/tone and less maintenance than a 2 piece 4 stud TOM or tremolo/ hardtail setup. Most guitar players have more than one Guitar for a reason. If some one had guitar with 14 floppy bridge pieces they need to keep up on the maintenance or upgrade(more options) to a better bridge. annoying buzzing sounds not coming from your frets would be your first clue.

7. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

8. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

I'm sure there will be some kind of limitation you'll discover (just like I did with that Squier) after you buy it and bring it home that it's more expensive name brand cousins don't have. Be optimistic. you get what you pay for. Epiphones are worth upgrading. I upgraded a 2005 Epiphone Les Paul and I think it plays and sounds as good as or almost as good as it's more expensive Gibson Cousin. The less quality grade of wood on the EPI is obvious in side by side appearance. Now as far as that butterscotch/Blonde Squier go's it's a parts caster project/challenge. I got what I paid for but I knew that when I bought it. If you like it get it. then you can tell us all about it in a post. save the box and all the wrap and tags everything just incase you want to return it. with this covid-19 they give you more time for returns. I had 120 days to return that tele instead of 30 days. I've had it for 45 days but its modified now to late.

9. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

+1. My Epi Junior has the same bridge and intonation is perfect. Same with my new-to-me PRS 245. I do prefer the PRS one though because it has full length grooves for the strings. You have to notch the Epi lightning bolt one to keep the strings from sliding.

10. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

to all my fellow members: I stand to be corrected. I should have said that I would buy or spend the extra money on the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. model that has the tune-o-matic bridge(TOM) and tailpiece over the wraparound one piece tailpiece. Because for the price of that Guitar you know you are getting the same low cost ZINC TOM bridge that Epiphone puts on all of there guitars and Gibson. I know if I upgrade and replace that zinc bridge with one( a lot of options) made from stainless steel, brass or aluminum it brings out more of the natural tone from that guitar that was missing due to the low quality zinc Bridge. That is a personal preference that I wanted to share. please accept my humble apology from not making this clear. I know the epi les paul jr were talking about is a better guitar out of the box than a squire affinity tele. that's my opinion and opinions are like @$$(^)$# everybody got one.

11. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

worn tv yellow $149 or worn cherry$129 or worn black $159 musician's friend.com Why are they priced different? the spects are the same. it could be the color or the finish my bad it is not a les paul jr.. les paul with soapbar p-90's single fat coil pickups.

13. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

Epiphone | Virtual Guitar Tech Service
    upload_2020-8-29_23-32-50.png
    epiphone.com

This service Epiphone offers might be good for any members who are not as experienced as most of you wanting to or interested in performing your own guitar maintenance and set ups. This is a Telecaster discussion forum right?

14. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

[​IMG] this one piece bridge is not a wrap around. the saddles could buzz and rattle

tubegeek likes this.
  15. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

Golden Age Lightning Bolt Wraparound Bridge
    $16.80 ★★★★★ (4.5/5)
    upload_2020-8-29_23-54-44.png
    stewmac.com

Zepfan and tubegeek like this.
  16. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

Instead of loading the strings from the back and over the bridge saddles,

17. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Holic

18. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

Its worth a try Mr. TwoBear. good call. I do not have a guitar with this style bridge so I can not say much. they call it a piano or baby grand shape bridge. It's cool looking. and it's pricey. It's shape I wonder if it affects tone? If I had the money I spent on guitar parts that I removed after install .........

19. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Har, 'm plenty HAPPY WITH EPI'S ORIGINAL. So all I got to worry about is picking and grinning:)

PacificChris likes this.
  20. dekline24

dekline24 TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.