1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Epiphone les Paul special GC sale

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RhythmFender, Aug 8, 2020.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Nice rehouse on the Super Champ, too, DrBGood!

DrBGood likes this.
  2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

IMHO, best deal for a cheap guitar going.
    Everything about it is reflective of LP history. LP slab body, wrap around bridge, P-90 Soapbar pickups, Gibson style short scale neck and got mine in historic TV Yellow.

The only mods I did to mine was Keystone tuners and top hat control knobs. Mind tended to nose dive, so got a sweade Leather wide strap stopped it. The P-90's sound great to me! Platefire
    DSC03739.JPG

3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The single P90 is the one I've been looking for - on craigslist if they won't sell it new @ GC.
    @DrBGood is on to something, friends...

DrBGood and RhythmFender like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Besides the bolt on version, Epi now also has a set neck one with a bound neck and two vol and two tone controls for $399.
    download (12).png

Fearnot and RhythmFender like this.
  5. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

The one piece bridge/ tailpiece is not upgradable just like the bridge on my new squire tele.

6. JWH7

JWH7 Tele-Meister

I would spend the extra money on the model that has the tune o matic bridge and tail piece. you will have upgrade options. hope you dont have intonation problems with the one piece bridge.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Absolutly no need to upgrade that lightning bolt wraparound. It's been on Gibson guitar since the beginning and it intonates 100% true. I love the minimalist look, comfort under my hand and I beleive it resonate better than a Tune-O-Matic. I have 5 guitars with that kind of bridge and have no problem whatsoever with intonation. People are just too lazy to adjust it properly.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Yep, it was red. I always wanted to do it with the TV Yellow, but couldn't resign myself to do it. Then somebody gave me a red one. That was my cue.

Pretty easy to do since the finish is very thin. Got to be careful not to go throught the paper thin veneer though. I finished it with tung oil.

Cadeau.jpg
    Sablage.jpg
    Sanded neck 1.JPG
    Sanded neck 3.jpg

E5RSY and RhythmFender like this.
  9. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

+1 to all the positives on this thread. Fantastic bargain.

I keep meaning to fix mine up right--new tuners, new nut, some fret work. But it's so much quirky fun, like that dog whose crooked running and one safari-hatting ear defines it, that I keep leaving it as-is. Plus, when the cowboy D chord is going to be out of tune because the A and G strings must be tuned that way to be half right and another way to be another half right, it forces you to innovate/look up inversions....

10. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

I bought one used just to mess with it and I like it. Nice and light. I replaced the tuners, the nut, and the bridge and it needs a new switch. I ended up buying the 2020 Gibson version which really feels like a completely different guitar. Epi pickups are slightly hotter than Gibson.

RhythmFender likes this.
  11. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

So the bridge is upgradable then? Someone here said they weren’t... hmmm

Deepblankspace likes this.
  12. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

they are, but really not necessary. I have two Special 1’s, one red with HB’s and another yellow with P-90’s. Both have the stock wraparound bridge and both intonate just fine. Also have an Epi Jr., also with that same bridge, also intonates just fine.

After all acoustics have one piece saddles with zero adjustment but intonate just fine.

There are many, myself included, that think that simple bridge with no moving parts adds a certain ‘magic’ to the sound.

Deepblankspace likes this.
  13. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Love the SCXD in the finished wood cab, did mine in a PRRI cab so I could pair it with a Weber 12F150. Sounds great!

DrBGood likes this.
  14. Old Smokey

Old Smokey TDPRI Member

Yes, you can swap it out. The idea that the bridge on a guitar like this can't be replaced is kind of silly.

It's not absolutely necessary to swap it out (close enough for rock and roll as they say), but I think adjustable saddles are just easier to work with; especially if you plan to use strings that are heavier on the bass side and lighter on the treble side, for example.

I also did it for cosmetic reasons because I switched to gold hardware-- I thought it would be neat to coordinate with the black and gold scheme of my Epi LPC.

One thing to note is that some replacement bridges will be thicker than the original and the resulting action will be higher. Other adjustments may be needed to get the action lower.

Deepblankspace and RhythmFender like this.
  15. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Just plain fun.

LP Jr Axe.jpg

radiocaster and RhythmFender like this.
  16. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  17. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Well, this thread got me. I pulled the trigger on a used yellow p90 one. It should be here later in the week. I have some spare parts around to dress it up as a little project.

RhythmFender likes this.
  18. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Wraparound has a different sound than a tune-o-matic/stud. A solid piece of metal is tougher, tighter than 14 floppy pieces. As far as intonation, yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.

RhythmFender likes this.
  19. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Can anyone recommend a good replacement wraparound? Asking for a friend: 20200531_225614.jpg

20. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good choice. I got the TV Yellow one. Replaced the tuners and nut and it is a really fun guitar to play.

Epiphone LP Special II full.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.