Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I picked up a really nice Epi yesterday used. It is called the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. Anyone familiar with this? It's kind of confusing. It is NOT the LP Custom, or Custom Classic, or Custom Classic Pro. It seems with each extra word in the model name, you get more stuff. The "Custom Pro" seems rare. I can find literally almost no references to it online. It is not offered any more new. I could only find one old review that mentioned the retail price, which was $950 back in 2015. Pretty pricy for an Epiphone. Anyway, this model has Epi ProBucker pickups, coil taps for both pickups on push-pull pots, and an out-of-phase switch on a 3rd p-p pot. Overall quality really surprised me. It seems flawless, plays and sounds great. I went into the shop thinking I'd get a used Gibson LP Studio, but came out with this instead. (Prices on Gibson LP Studios are insane. A couple years ago you could get one any day of the week for $700-800. Now everyone wants over $1k.)

That guy Shane from YouTube did a review video a few years ago on this Epi and really praised it, but he wasn't crazy about the split-coil sounds. Those sound fine to me. I'm not going for studio perfection. IT's just a nice option to have for certain songs, and adds to the versatility of the guitar. Anyway, I was really surprised how much I liked this guitar, and then really puzzled when I got back home and could barely find out anything about it. Right now you can buy the Epi LP Standard or LP Custom, but not the Custom Pro. If anyone has one, speak up.

I'll post pics later today...

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I picked up a really nice Epi yesterday used. It is called the Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. Anyone familiar with this? It's kind of confusing. It is NOT the LP Custom, or Custom Classic, or Custom Classic Pro. It seems with each extra word in the model name, you get more stuff. The "Custom Pro" seems rare. I can find literally almost no references to it online. It is not offered any more new. I could only find one old review that mentioned the retail price, which was $950 back in 2015. Pretty pricy for an Epiphone. Anyway, this model has Epi ProBucker pickups, coil taps for both pickups on push-pull pots, and an out-of-phase switch on a 3rd p-p pot. Overall quality really surprised me. It seems flawless, plays and sounds great. I went into the shop thinking I'd get a used Gibson LP Studio, but came out with this instead. (Prices on Gibson LP Studios are insane. A couple years ago you could get one any day of the week for $700-800. Now everyone wants over $1k.)

That guy Shane from YouTube did a review video a few years ago on this Epi and really praised it, but he wasn't crazy about the split-coil sounds. Those sound fine to me. I'm not going for studio perfection. IT's just a nice option to have for certain songs, and adds to the versatility of the guitar. Anyway, I was really surprised how much I liked this guitar, and then really puzzled when I got back home and could barely find out anything about it. Right now you can buy the Epi LP Standard or LP Custom, but not the Custom Pro. If anyone has one, speak up.

I'll post pics later today...
Very cool, get pics!

In 2020 I got a 2018 Epi SG Pro ( used, on CL) and we bonded instantly- comfy player with clear ( not too powerful) humbuckers and the coil-tap switching.
As mainly a Fender player, I absolutely love getting a thinner ( but not wimpy) and funky tone, when needed.
I love using the two pickups together, with coil tap on bridge, and neck humbucker- this adds just a little low end to a great 'funky twang' ( for Dead songs or blues too)

Would love the out-of-phase option on one of the Tone knobs.

Attachments

• 20200624_094148.jpg
    20200624_094148.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 15

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Very cool, get pics!

In 2020 I got a 2018 Epi SG Pro ( used, on CL) and we bonded instantly- comfy player with clear ( not too powerful) humbuckers and the coil-tap switching.
As mainly a Fender player, I absolutely love getting a thinner ( but not wimpy) and funky tone, when needed.
I love using the two pickups together, with coil tap on bridge, and neck humbucker- this adds just a little low end to a great 'funky twang' ( for Dead songs or blues too)

Would love the out-of-phase option on one of the Tone knobs.
Are you the guy who said you were just in Atomic Music in Maryland? I was just in there yesterday, and that's where I bought it.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Are you the guy who said you were just in Atomic Music in Maryland? I was just in there yesterday, and that's where I bought it.
I'm the guy!

On my Atomc visit, there was a very lightweight Cherry Gibson SG ( '61 RI) there on the wall.
- I did not plug in, but did get to at least appreciate the lightweight one or two piece mahogany body of this guitar, vs.the laminated/plus veneer of my Epi SG. Mine is only 7 lbs. 5 oz., but man, the Gibson felt like 6 lbs.! I bet it sounded fun, but I dig mine

I have a bad back, so I went into acoustic room, sat down with a cheap Dobro for a half hour. I would have bought it, but no $$ ( now) for any gear junk, but strings!

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I'm the guy!

On my Atomc visit, there was a very lightweight Cherry Gibson SG ( '61 RI) there on the wall.
- I did not plug in, but did get to at least appreciate the lightweight one or two piece mahogany body of this guitar, vs.the laminated/plus veneer of my Epi SG. Mine is only 7 lbs. 5 oz., but man, the Gibson felt like 6 lbs.! I bet it sounded fun, but I dig mine

I have a bad back, so I went into acoustic room, sat down with a cheap Dobro for a half hour. I would have bought it, but no $$ ( now) for any gear junk, but strings!
Yep, I played that. I tried all the SGs. Very light and comfortable.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Fantastic!
Was the out-of-phase option stock from Epi, or modded by previous owner?
I don't remember this as being an option on other Epi ' Pro' SG, LP, 335 Dot models, but maybe on your Custom model?

( I actually have the correct push-pull pot & replacement knob to do job on my SG- I won't touch this myself but want a good tech to check mine out when I have some $$)

Epi electrics and electronics really bumped up in the last 10 years
( my '90's and early 2000's models, various, were dark/ not clear , too 'hot'- IMO, and clean amp settings- all got sold)

Last edited:

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Everything stock. Here is the one article I was able to find.

And the YouTube review:

AZMike

Tele-Meister
I have that exact guitar. Great guitar, and the coil tap was standard. You can still find the Koa top customs at Sweetwater, but they now have the newer headstock and an ebony board.

Glen W

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My BIL brought one of these over for me to look at a possible pickup problem last Thursday. Turned out to be a simple matter of some contact cleaning on the selector switch. Nice guitar! Same Probucker pickups (2&3?) as my Inspired ‘60s LP, I believe.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have that exact guitar. Great guitar, and the coil tap was standard. You can still find the Koa top customs at Sweetwater, but they now have the newer headstock and an ebony board.
Thanks. What is the board on the one you have? I think mine is mahogany. It's actually the only thing I'm not crazy about with this guitar.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Everything stock. Here is the one article I was able to find.

And the YouTube review:

Too bad Shane didn't dig the split coil and OOP pickup options on the Custom. I don't have the OOP on my Epi SG Pro, but love the coil-split.

Still, I love 'In the Blues' reviews! Shane is very likeable; definitely someone you could jam with ( if you dig blues/R&B like I do)

AZMike

Tele-Meister
Thanks. What is the board on the one you have? I think mine is mahogany. It's actually the only thing I'm not crazy about with this guitar.
Mine is rosewood. It has darkened at bit, as I have owned it about three years and dress it annually. Looks great with the Koa. Sounds cliche, but it plays as good as it looks. Played great right out of the box. I did change from the 10s it came with to 9s and tweaked the action a bit. 9s just work better for me these days.