Epiphone/Legacy Valve Jr head

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mattdean4130, Feb 11, 2009.

1. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys.
    So i just got myself a legacy badged valve head, which is a rebadged epiphone.
    I do really like the sounds it comes out with, although i would like it to perhaps distort a little later than it does... i.e clean tones at higher volume.
    I still want it to break into a nice valve distortion right at the highest volumes though...

It has 1 12ax7 pre amp and one el84 output tube.

Does anybody know whether and if so what brand of tube i could swap out to perhaps give me this change?

And also, would a different output tube give me any higher volume output?

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

That is a pretty common complaint about VJ's. I do not know of anyone that has addressed it to their satisfaction. If I were looking to address it with only a tube change, 5751 is where I would start. It is pretty much a 12AX7 with the gain reduces 30%. Other tube types will likely require component changes to get them to bias up in a reasonable area.

3. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

I got myself the EPI version a few years ago and spent ages tweaking and modding instead of just playing the thing. The newer version is supposed to have addressed most of the issues we were 'fixing' (now that's a funny notion, me fixing an amp) but it's still a terribly gainy little thing.

I'd recommend, as noted, switching to a lower-gain preamp tube. 12AY7 is as low as it gets, and 5751s are almost right in between. The 12AY7s are gettin' a bit rare in these parts, and apparently in Europe, as well, (there's a thread on that very thing right around here somewhere) but it might be a different story for you in Australia. Ask around. I ended up with a 12AY7 in there, and I can crank the knob around about 75% before it really starts to grind, and then back it off a bit at the guitar for cleaner tones. It's still a grind machine with my LP, though.

In the 'lucky for us' department, single NOS and Almost NOS EL84/6BQ5s can often be had pretty inexpensively, relatively speaking. I tried 7 different old & new ones in my amp before settling on a TungSol from the '60s, and none of them cost me more than US$9. That said, early buzz was that as new production goes, most folks preferred the JJs.

Good Luck!

4. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

thanks for the input guys! i appreciate it. Decided to build me a smaller cab first, because i'm getting a very full rich sound out of the 15 cab that i already had, but i think a 2x8 or 12 or even a single 10 might sound a bit nicer too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.