Epiphone Hummingbird and Dove

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Bluetelecaster, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Any experience with either of these?

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

None.
    However,
    I’ve played on the Epiphone version of the J-45 and the J-200.
    Fit and finish were pretty good. Cosmetically they look very similar, although the 200 had a cutaway which really looked weird to me.
    Both had electronics, but I did not plug either in.
    If I were looking for a guitar in that price range, I think there are other brands to pursue. Yamaha comes to mind.

FWIW a friend plays a master built Epi and it does sound good.

What are your plans for this particular guitar?

3. Bluetelecaster

Mostly home use. Song writing

4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Won't be the best guard I the world, but arguably they will be the best looking.

My wife has a hummingbird, it sounds fine. Not as good as my old epiphone masterbilt that sounds phenomenal, but perfectly fine for the price range. The build quality is very good, no real defects to complain about.

5. cenz

cenz TDPRI Member

I have a Hummingbird Pro. Very well built. Sounds great. Great workmanship. Grover tuners, 18:1 I think. Electronics are serviceable. 400 bucks with Roadrunner HSC. I really like it.

Good as a Gibson? No. Is a Gibson 10 times better than the Epi. No.

350 for an Epi. 3600 for a Gibson.

A guitar that I truly, truly covet is a Gibson Hummingbird. The Epi. It will do just fine. It’s probably too nice for my ham-handed attempts at guitar playing.

6. dmvksv

dmvksv TDPRI Member

I have a Hummingbird. Nice build quality, sounds great, especially plugged in, I really like the ability to dial it in with the electronics. I've always wanted to try a Dove to see what difference the maple brings.

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I have the Hummingbird Pro. I’ve had it over a year, yet it has the new headstock shape.
    It is made flawlessly, I’ve yet to find even a minute flaw.
    It has a solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides.
    It has Fishman electronics that sound amazing thru a Fender Acoustisonic 90.
    It’s a great guitar, not my only acoustic, but one that if I lost it for any reason, I’d replace it in a N.Y. second.

8. Bluetelecaster

I love the hummingbird, but the gidson is a good stretch out of my price range. All the reviews on the Epi seem to be favorable. The price is really favorable!

9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’ve had three old Gibson Hummingbirds and played quite a few newer ones over the years. I’ve also played several Epiphone Hummingbirds and while they are pretty nice lookers and players they don’t really sound much like a Gibson acoustically. If your plugging in it’s a whole different story as inexpensive guitars can sound great that way.

I do think they are pretty nice guitars for the $ and fine for home enjoyment or playing on stage through the pickup.

985plowboy and Bluetelecaster like this.
  10. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

I had the hummingbird before they went pro....so so guitar
    Eastman, blueridge, recording king and sigma makes some outstanding guitars for the money now. I would chose one of those. Esp. eastman E2D for around 600

11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

A Dove is one of my bucket list guitars. But I would have to sell my HD28 to fund it, and I just don't have the heart to let the Martin go.

12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Both of the Gibson versions have a distinct sound. I've owned a few Epi Hummingbirds and one Epi Dove. They look great, and I have had no significant issues once each was set up properly, but just sound like an inexpensive acoustic guitar.

A tendency for chords to get muddled and poor note separation. The feeling that each string is doing its thing individually but not in harmony.

I've sold all of them on because I can get a better sounding inexpensive acoustic, though not one that looks as cool.

13. TKinMKE

TKinMKE TDPRI Member

HI guys, just got a EPI Hummingbird Pro. I like most things about it, fit and finish really good. It looks spectacular but does sound a bit thin on the low end. What strings are you using? Trying to improve the sound a bit. Also the pickup sounds not natural at all. I have a Vox VT40+ and am playing around with settings, so far no joy.

14. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

If your talking acoustic sound I’d put on 12s at least and 13s if you can play them. Phosphor bronze like plain old D’Addario
    EJs are not too bright.

I don’t know what your playing now but many coated strings like Elixir and D’Addario EXP are pretty bright. I use the latter sometimes but on Gibsons that sure don’t lack in bass.

15. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't worry too much. They sound ok, but it still it what it is: a very nice budget acoustic guitar. The really big full sound comes from all solid wood, and finer (usually more delicate) construction to get more resonance. With acoustics, these things matter much more than with electrics.
    For strings, I like phosphor bronze, it just sounds really rich and musical. Standard size 12 works for me.

For plugging in, is that amp designed for acoustics?
    Most acoustic players I know go straight into the board, but there are various preamps and di boxes to help things out.
    Again, I wouldn't worry too much about the sound. I think the pickup system on that guitar is pretty good, but I think it's very rare for any plugged in acoustic guitar to sound like an actual acoustic guitar. To me they all sound like a plugged in acoustic, and that sound has become so prevelant, that people now think that that is what an acoustic actually sounds like.
    It's not a 'bad' sound per se, it just is what it is.

Stubee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.