Epiphone Firebird Studio

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SixStringSlinger, Aug 14, 2019.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm looking at a used Epiphone Firebird that's listed as an Epiphone Firebird Studio. I want to do some research on it but the closest I can find on Epiphone's website is a discontinued one that has different pickups and tuners, and wasn't available in the same finish as the one I'm looking at.

This one is black, with 2 mini-humbuckers and "normal" style tuners on a "reverse" headstock (i.e. the tuners stick out toward the ground rather than the sky.

Any idea what model I should be looking up to get more details?

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think you might be looking at a Korean model with a bolt-on neck. Does it have a raised center section?

3. SixStringSlinger

Ah, it does have the bolt-on neck, I hadn't noticed that. As far as the raised center, possible, but unclear.

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is from my own perspective...

Don't go for just looks or low price.

Whether Epiphone, Gibson, or whoever, hold out for a "real" Firebird that has multi-piece, neck-through design. That, and true Firebird pickups, not just mini humbuckers, are what makes a Firebird sound and sustain properly. No one sells a "studio" version that's neck through or has real Firebird pickups.

Obsessed and richiek65 like this.
  5. SixStringSlinger

What's the difference between a mini-HB and a "real" Firebird pickup?

6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A Firebird pickup has an AlNiCo bar magnet inside each coil, has a thin steel keeper plate below the magnets, and doesn't use pole screws. It has a mid-rangey warmth, with clarity and bite, like the older sibling of a bright Telecaster bridge pickup. Nothing else sounds like it.

A mini-humbucker is a small version of a full-size humbucker with a steel bar in each coil, the bar in the main coil tapped for pole screws, and a single AlNiCo bar magnet under the coils. It sounds like a full-sized humbucker, but with less low end and more prominent upper mid-range. It does not sound like a Firebird pickup.

Gibson "Firebird" pickups from the last 15 years, or so, are darker-sounding, ceramic magnet, mini-humbuckers and don't really sound like Firebird pickups. Custom Shop models may be the real thing. I don't know what pickups that Gibson puts in the 2019 Firebirds.

Search TDPRI for Firebird pickup and marvel at the various discussions.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.