Epiphone ES-335 Pro owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Chriss945, Jan 14, 2014.

1. EricthebluesMan

EricthebluesMan NEW MEMBER!

How's 50 for the pair sound to you?

2. SHOWE345CTTE

SHOWE345CTTE TDPRI Member

Engaged the truss rod, lowered the action a bit, and played it through a crate, and got an EXCELLENT warm jazz tone. I put on Blood Sweat and Tears and when variations of a theme started, I began to solo with the flutes. It was beautiful.
    But I still plan on a varitone. There's big D and de lisle which are apparently wire and play. This guitar is just killer.

Attached Files:

3. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Holic

I bought mine used a year ago off CL. Mine is Natural in color and plays really nice. It instantly reminded me of the feel my old '66 Epi Riviera had back when I was a kid. Like I said, it's a nice playing guitar and has a nice feel, but the pickups have got to go. They just seem lifeless, one-dimensional to me. I'll be replacing them eventually, but not sure with what. I'll be looking for bright, squeaky clean, no mud-buckers. Any suggestions? Thanks.

4. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Just picked up a new Epiphone Pro Limited Edition Vintage Sunburst (formal tobacco sunburst, with black knobs, and an almost black fretboard). It gets a very nice jazz tone from the neck pick up and the necks is nice too. Exactly what year Gibson 335 is it based on? Not sue I like the "amber" toggle;e switch color, I thought they were in white or cream in the vintage years. A black toggle knob would look good too.

5. BRUCELAV

BRUCELAV NEW MEMBER!

I've got one I got from Musicians Friend brand new for $259 on the deal of the day promo. and am thinking I love it! I want to do some mods though. I was thinking: Nut, Tuners, PUP's, and some wiring maybe a MV treble bleed circuit and some tone pots? Any suggestions?

6. kn4ud

kn4ud TDPRI Member

I've had one now for about 2 months. I had to adjust the truss rod and lower the action I still need to drop the strings a little at the nut. I like the way it plays and am glad I got it. I would like to have an older Gibson es335 but like others I don't want to drop the cash for it. I changed the strings , did not like the buzz sound doing slides so I went with half rounds (10's) but changed the tops to 9's. Played with the coil splitting feature some but mostly play in normal mode. I did take some 0000 steel wool to the back of the neck because my hand did not want to slide on it, now the feel is a lot better.

BRUCELAV likes this.
  7. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

Got mine a week ago today, already played a gig with it, and I love it. My Gpaw back in the day had a Gibson just like this one, so I've always been drawn to them. I've been a tele man since before I owned one, but this guitar is beating hard on it at number two.

Attached Files:

8. yamatele

yamatele TDPRI Member

9. yamatele

yamatele TDPRI Member

Just joined and saw your post. Are you still up in the air about the Epi 345 vs 335 Pro ? I have both so if you want to talk.... all the best.

10. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

I'll try to give some information and ask some questions.

First, have you played a 345? Why is it your dream guitar? The reason that I ask is that most guys with that just leave the varitone in 1 spot. I think a lot of guys (at least some) would say that coil splitting on the 335-pro has more useful tone/sound configurations than a varitone switch gives you. So, if you haven't played one, I would play one to see if the varitone is actually doing what you want (sounds like an awesome feature, but in reality it isn't for most players).

If you haven't played one, it may be easier for you to find/get a hold of a B.B. King Lucille model since it already has the varitone. Or it may be an option that you want to go forward with cause then you would only need to add the trapeze. Although, if you like the red finish the Lucille isn't an option (I totally get having your heart set on a particular color/finish). But the Lucille may be an easy way to play a guitar with the varitone. Guitar Center buy and return if you don't like it?

11. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

What's the weight range like on these?

12. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

Just curious, has anyone messed around with the pickup height on the stock pickups? I was never a fan of how they sounded when they weren't split but I lowered the bridge pickup to about 4mm and am liking the overdrive sound that I'm getting a lot more.

13. StillPlaying

StillPlaying TDPRI Member

I drill bitted mine to accomodate new tuners. Yes it was scary; it was successful. Apologize that this doesn't answer the question.

14. stratokatsu

stratokatsu TDPRI Member

I've had the sunburst for about 2 years now. I could understand the utility if I performed, in which case I'd definitely do some of the pickup mods a lot of you have talked about. But, as a hobby player who just plays at home, I'm a bit torn whether I want to use one guitar for so much or have a small variety of guitars to enjoy a humbucker tone, Strat and Tele tones and whatever in between. (And yes, I have an embarrassing number of guitars)

I have 4 different 335 style guitars and each has their virtues, but it's hard to choose any one over the other. Obviously there's the Epi, but I also have a $139 Firefly that's incredible for the money. Much as I figured on changing nearly everything on it, I haven't done a single thing. I have an Oscar Schmidt Blues King, (meh), but I stuck some GFS Gold Foil pickups in it and it's much more interesting now.

Lastly, I have a white D'Angelico with no F-holes. That D'Angelico has a feel and sound I'd say is in a higher class than the others, but I keep coming back to the Firefly.

As is pretty typical, on any given day, one sounds better than the other.

Attached Files:

15. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

IMG_0202.jpg

16. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

Just got this today had band practice same night. Love this guitar however that's not me playing, my guitarist took it from me after first song and wouldn't give it back. Lol. He took it home to clean it up and restring so he can play it at our next show. He's an amazing player and really made this guitar sing.

17. MG0078

MG0078 NEW MEMBER!

I have had my Epi ES-335 PRO for a few years now. It is stock except that I swapped the pups for Lollartrons (similar to the Chris Cornell Gibson ES 335). It is having some intonation issues so I'm thinking about tuners/nut/bridge upgrades. I feel like the nut is probably the culprit.
    1. Do you folks have recommendations for a good replacement nut?
    2. I don't mind the green tuners, but I prefer the look of kidney bean tuners. Do you know of any locking tuners with kidney bean/milk bottle shape (like Grovers) that are drop-ins/won't require drilling? If not, I may just upgrade them but stick with keystones for simplicity sake.
    I'm sure you all have answered these questions a million times, so I appreciate your time and insights.

18. GeneB

GeneB TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have a 2012 ES-339 (Vintage burst) and my truss rod also is righty loosie / lefty tighty. Both volume pots failed and I had the guitar rewired with quality pots, orange drops etc. The pickups really sound more open with the rewiring. The nut was replaced with tusq xl because the original broke during a string change. Otherwise it's stock and the best $319 (new in 2012) guitar I ever played.

19. kennedyj

kennedyj Tele-Meister

I can tell you the Grover Rotomatics are not a direct drop in

20. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I've had a limited edition Dot for 8 years or so. It has a large Gibson-like guard, bound mahogany neck and nickle hardware so very like a Pro. I've changed wiring, pickups, bridge and nut, but not the standard green tuners. I feel the quality of the guitar was worth the upgrades. With a replacement Tusq nut, the tuning is very stable with the stock tuners - almost as good as my Tele, which is saying a lot. :)

IMG_20200430_085853.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.