Epiphone ES-335 Pro owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Chriss945, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

I guess I'm part of the club!

Attached Files:

emisilly likes this.
  2. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My saga...

As I posted in this forum back in 2015, I picked up an Epi ES-339 Pro in red, put in a Tusq nut and a master volume in the f-hole. Liked it, but was offered a great deal on a Gibson version. Sold the Epi, bought the Gibby. It came with the robot tuners and the 10db boost. I liked the sound and the playability but the klaatu barata nikto tuners drove me nuts. So I sold it.

Two weeks ago I picked up another Epi 339 Pro, this one in burst. I'll be replacing the nut and adding a master volume again, but this time I'm keeping it!

For the record I will not be replacing the tuners unless they break. The green doesn't bother me. Plus, I find the split coil sound to be very usable and the pickups in general to work for me. (I mostly play through a MuchXS version of a Princeton Reverb or a Frenzel Deluxe Plus, two wonderful amps.)

smihollows.jpeg

3. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Master volume with treble bleed installed in f-hole.

IMG_0652.JPG

4. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

Got one for my own Christmas present last year, basic black...A real gem. Pickups are great, IMO Epi's best humbuckers...good neck good hardware, great sound and the coil splits...Hard to beat...I strongly recommend a hard case for it!

5. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

New member of the 335 Pro Owner's Club checking in.

Just got an Epi 335 Pro in Iced Tea burst. Lotta guitar fir the money. Fitband finish were impeccable. Alnico Pro pickups were a huge upgrade from the Dot I had and sold. Very pleased with the purchase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

emisilly and Hammerhead like this.
  6. gretsch_guy2

gretsch_guy2 TDPRI Member

[​IMG]
    Rocking my 335 Pro!

7. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Found one lask week for 200 euros. Sunbusrst color, it is in brand new shape. Basically I bought it to resell and make some money 'cause the price was so good. Put an ad and literally nobody come to me, so I am wandering if I should keep it.
    The problem is that I love my PV52 so much I don't think I will play it a lot, but the truth is that it is a really nice guitar.
    Decisions, decisions...

8. Ajtele

Ajtele TDPRI Member

Just got mine today. It was made this past January(2017). Kinda ironic that Gregg Allan just died a few hours ago... Allman Brothers really got me interested in learning to play

9. Ajtele

Ajtele TDPRI Member

For those of you who have replaced the plastic nut with a tusq xl what part number was it?

10. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

I've been really thinking of that Ice Tea Burst one but I'd have to order it online, and I think I like normal burst just as much.

11. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Dot Deluxe with BCS ES335 Vintage wiring kit and SD Antiquities.

T1 (6).JPG

12. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

Hi - I have had a dot (vintage sunburst) for several years and I have liked the guitar. I just bought a 335 pro (red) and have just spent the last few hours comparing them (I'm not a great player but am decent/technical enough to make comparisons).

Pickups - much better on the 335 pro. Much more clarity. Although, the bridge pickup lacks a bit of pizzazz on mine (maybe needs height adjustment - doesn't look terrible to me though). Kind of thin. Have to roll the tone way down (I tried two different amps - Fender Excelsior and Vox blue AC10) - I'd probably keep the treble side lower if I changed pikcup height, and raise the bass. On the other hand, the neck pickup is sick (great!). Middle position is actually terrible which is strange because I tend to like the middle position in the les pauls I have. All of these comments are without splitting. When using splitting, the pickups are ok but lose a lot of volume (expected). Very pedestrian sounding, although the middle position comes alive and is relatively usable as a strat/single 2/4 positionc sound.

Neck - I like the dot better. There is more depth on the neck/thicker. The 335 pro is noticeably more thin. I prefer the thicker neck of the dot (I like the neck on my jimmie vaughn strat - v shape). I do like the edges of the 335 pro better (more rounded feeling wrapping my thumb and fingers) - not sure if that is a function of the binding or not.

Acoustic - dot sounds better. More of a hollow body sound whereas the 335 sounds like a solid body/les paul. This is heard unplugged and plugged in. I wonder if it has to do with the block and top (see below on my comments about the top/flame), and also check out the pictures showing the solid block in dot and my 335 pro. The dot has a darker colored solid block (looks more like mahogany), whereas the 335 pro looks light (like maple - the block and back look the same color - you have to look close in the picture but it is showing both the block and the back - whereas the dot block and back are different colors). Having said that - the 335 does kick some butt when plugged in. Hard to tell if the dot would sound better than the 335 if the dot had better pickups... (better acoustic/hollow sound makes me think it would have better mojo plugged in). I didn't A/B the 335 pro with a les paul - lack of acoustic clarity may have put it closer to a les paul sound as opposed to hollow body... Maybe I'll do that comparison in the future.

Overall - I would probably like the dot with the 335 pro pickups in it. The overall feel of the body/neck just fits me better too. I like the idea of the 335 pro being the "nicer" guitar and I got a good deal on it. I had always wanted a red 335 too (Clapton/Cream). I had high hopes for the 335 but I'm a bit torn on what I should do. I originally got the dot because I needed a guitar to practice some acoustic tunes for a wedding but just had a baby - the big neck on it felt close enough to my Martin and it gave me a decent acoustic without being as loud as an acoustic. Anyway, I woudl have gotten a red dot if one was available used at the time, but only vintage sunburst was. I actually really dig the vintage sunburst (my partiuclar guitar has great grain to it like a maple plain top les paul- whereas the red 335 pro doesn't show much grain - just very vertical mahogany looking grain like on an SG). I added pictures to show the flame top look on the dot and not so much on the 335. The 335 actually has better flame on the back. 335 flame.jpg dot flame (1).jpg

I think my dot is a solid mahogany block with a laminate maple top, and my 335 is maple block with laminate mahogany top.

Not sure what I'm going to do. I like the feel/acoustic sound of the dot so i could just upgrade the pickups - the kicker is that it stays in tune like crap (G is out as soon as I tune it - has always been this way, and other strings aren't great either). The 335 stays in tune better - considering sending it back and trying another one with my fingers crossed at least for a better acoustic sound (and hoping for a thicker neck).

To end things - the finish/burst on the 339 just above is awesome. How come the burst doesn't spill into the horns on the dot/335 pro like that? I would prefer that a ton - but I don't know that I've ever seen a dot/335 pro with the burst going into the horns like that.

Any thoughts on dot/335? Agree/similar experiences with what I have said (or disagree) 335 pro block.jpg dot block.jpg ?

13. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Have you lubed the nut on the Dot? Could also be crap tuners not holding tune. Cheap strings can come loose, stretch and break at the ball ends. I've had 2 sets of cheap strings do this.

14. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't believe I haven't participated in this thread. I bought my ES-335 Pro a couple of years ago when an online retailer had them on sale for $349. What a nice guitar for the money. I've had an Epiphone Elitist ES-335 and a made in Korea Hamer Echotone and I like this guitar better than either of them. Mostly due to the larger neck and taller frets.

I like the pickups and feel no need to change them. The jack feels flimsy and the switch on mine sometimes cuts out in the bridge position. I'll switch them out for Switchcraft parts when I get around to it.

I made a couple of changes to the guitar- I prefer reflector knobs on cherry ES guitars plus they're more correct with the block inlays. Philadelphia Luthier sells a nice set.
    I also changed the guard to a short one- that goes better with the blocks as well. There's an eBay seller that has one that's a direct fit without drilling holes.

15. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

I did not lube the nut. I have not changed the strings in quite some time. At this point, I don't think I'll invest time/money into improving the dot because I like the idea of the 335 pro better (just has some nicer features). I'm going to go around to some shops to see if there is a 335 with a fatter neck and better acoustic response (if not, I'll just keep the one I have).

Back to the topic of strings - do 335 owners (epi or gibson) like a wound G like is popular on telecasters? I'll check around for some threads to see what people say. I'ave never run a wound G on my telecaster but maybe I'll give that a try on both of these guitars.

16. adamel111

adamel111 TDPRI Member

You got an even better deal than I did (I think mine was $380). The reflector knobs and shorter pickguard are changes I will probably make too.

17. red57strat

It was a no-brainer at $349. I'm a long time ES-335 lover without the budget for a Gibson and I'm pretty happy with it. I'll try to take and post pics soon.

18. Will13

Will13 TDPRI Member

Anyway you'd be kind enough to tell me the name of the ebay seller so I could find one of those pickguards? I tried to search for the item, but to no avail. Thanks :)

19. red57strat

dennyb56

20. cam.man67

cam.man67 Tele-Meister

Sign me up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hiker and JayFreddy like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.