Epiphone Devon Tremolo EA35T 63' SERVICE Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by teleman78, Mar 25, 2020.

1. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Just traded a synth I didn't like for this amp, Something tells me it's a winner after a couple of new touches. It's all original, unmolested and true to a 63' spec. So far it's very thin sounding... not pleasant, however once the tremolo circuit is engaged it's AMAZING, the tremolo in this amp is AMAZING. I want to update it so it suits me better... Also one thing to note is that is not very loud, I can crank it full volume and is not very loud at all which points to me to a power tube upgrade.. don't know...

overall I need more beefieness and low end out if the amp need some suggestions...

I'm no expert but know that the logical thing is the filter cap update, new tubes and new speakers, I need the speaker to be light weight and for it to bring out more low end (A lot more low end) out of this amp.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

fenderchamp likes this.
  2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I’d take it a step at a time, unless you really know the amps history.
    Definitely change the caps first, then see what you think of it. When it’s being recapped have the carbon comps resistors measured as best as possible. See if there are any way out of spec. Again, see what you think of it with the recap and resistors replaced.
    If it still sounds a little weak or wonky, check the rectifier tube , then the preamp tubes, then the power tubes.
    If after all that you still think the amp sounds weak or acts weird, replace the speaker, my favorite brand is Weber but it’s a personal thing.
    Good luck,

3. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Woah! That sounds like a great plan mate. Stay safe and thank you.

4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I wouldn't try to the change the amps tone too much, it's an old epiphone and it's going to be what it is. Having it serviced would be a good idea.

but i don't know about a power tube "upgrade" making it more powerful...etc lolz.

It if is unpleasantly thin, there might be some issues with it, but generally circuits kind of sound like they sound, and well...they sound like they do.

If you are looking for "your sound" go look for an amplifier with your sound, but don't expect that you will be able to have that amplifier modified to give it to you necessarily. People buy things like Kempers for a reason.

5. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Thank you for your input but I differ from your train of thought... I believe you can modify an amp to suit your needs this is why you have companies like Marshall and Mesa Boogie, they modified Fender amps to suit their customer's needs and created a wonderful New sounds, it is possible..

Heck I'm even thinking of putting a 15" speaker in it, believe me mate... there's room in for it and more and the amp is light weight too..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  6. Jon Snell

Jon Snell Tele-Meister

With all controls at maximum, the amplifiers output is 10Watts. The mains transformer governs this, not the output valves.
    There is a low value capacitor feeding the phase splitter that blocks most bass. You could replace it with a 4n7 from 500pF, that will give you more bass at a cost of less overall power as you cannot get more than the mains transformer will deliver. Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 14.43.18.png

teleman78 likes this.
  7. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Thanks so much man! Could you please recommend which values to purchase for a capacitor job for this amp? If you could provide a list that would be super!

Also, would you say that buying the right speaker would really help this amp get much more bass response?

Thanks in advance.

8. ocduff

ocduff Tele-Meister

Sweet amp. Looks clean.

Boogie and Marshall started off some already killer designs. This may prove more challenging.

My advice is to leave the amp as is and enjoy it. Don’t assume it needs new tubes. Over speakering the amp won’t be an upgrade.

Definitely replace filter and bias capacitors. If it’s not for you I’d sell it. I just came from trying to tweak a similar amp and really it’s an uphill battle turning a Studebaker into a Corvette without just starting from scratch.

teleman78 likes this.
  9. knavel

knavel Tele-Meister

I have an Epiphone EA-32 Comet. I put a celestion gold speaker in and that makes any amp sound better. I had a Weber Blue Pup which was good but I like the Celestion better.

My brother did a couple of mods that generally help these Gibson/Epiphone amps of the era which also helped. I like having something that's an alternative to my Fenders and that are powered by EL84s. Your observations on the tremolo greatness yet thin sound are something I've heard over the years.

My brother always makes videos when he fixes or mods stuff so he can remember what he did. I can see if I can find the link if you are interested maybe there are some ideas there for you. I also had him change the power supply to 230v so I could use it straight into the wall here in Europe. That's one great thing about these Gibson / Epiphone amps, the mid 60s ones in particular are 300-400$ amps so in my view they can be modded with impunity.

ocduff and teleman78 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.