1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Epiphone Deluxe

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by BluesOwl, Mar 19, 2014.

1. teleking36

teleking36 TDPRI Member

Wally,

I came to this thread late. Was the original CL post a late 50s EA-10 or was it the EA-10RV similar to what andresound has posted? I wish I could’ve seen pictures.

The “larger” models from 59- the Zephyr and Deluxe, seem to be ultra rare. I just recently scored a Century (also very rare), so I’m halfway to owning the entire 59 lineup. Getting closer, but not holding out hope that I’m able to snag a Zephyr or Deluxe. The other model I’m looking for- the Triumph - is just a GA-20 (three knob). Those don’t pop up either. Last one I can find is referenced on an estate sale website from 2011.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats on finding those amps. I have never been around an Epi from the ‘50’s. I have owned quite a few Gibson’s from the BR era through the mid-‘60’s as well as a fair number of Epi’s From 1962-1966. I have no idea what the CL amp in the OP was.....I have slept a couple of times since then. (;^)

3. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

Been playing my EA10RV lately and enjoying. However, the P15n is a little tired. I need to get a recone kit. Who would be ideal for a kit? I have experienced guys locally who could fit the kit. Also cheaper than shipping a 15” speaker 6000km! I have temporarily installed the new CELESTION FLASHBACK 15” driver. It is more efficient, but does not sound as open or detailed as the P15n.
    Also noticed with the more efficient CELESTION... I get reverb tank feedback!!! So have to be careful how I dial it in.

4. teleking36

teleking36 TDPRI Member

5. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

I would also be keen to see pics of this amp

6. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

andresound, get in touch with the folks at Weber. I had them recone a 12" Concert series speaker last year, and it sounds great! (The cone even looks the same)!
    They may have a original type cone for yours.

7. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

Thank you Bill, will do

8. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

Sent a mail to folks at Weber, 4 days ago! Still no reply!!!

9. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

Still no reply from Weber!!!????

10. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

OK.. Had a reply from Weber. . I have sent pics of driver.

11. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

OK.. Had a reply and have placed the order

12. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

UPDATE!! The recone for my P15N arrived... sadly it was damaged in transit. Weber were brilliant, and have dispatched a replacement at no coast!! Well done to the WEWBER guys. Will follow up once the driver has been reconed. In the meantime, I am LOVING this amp!

13. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

Last recap! The replacement recone arrived and put it in the amp. Sounded harsh and brittle. Put the driver on a variac for 2 days. Now it is sounding killer again. It seems to have a little less sparkle than the previous cone, but in a nice way.

Berndizzle440 likes this.
  14. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

I use a 5V4 to bring the voltages down. Just slightly more voltage drop than a 5AR4, similar filament voltage, just enough to bring down to vintage voltages with modern high wall voltage. 5R4 has much more sag. And, 5V4 is relatively inexpensive as NOS. I just noticed I have an NOS Tungsol 5V4 I picked up somewhere along the line, gonna use that somewhere!.
    Al

Wally likes this.
  15. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

I have lots of old variants to choose from. Thanks... I will try the 5Ar4 and the 5v4 and see. I ahve also used the amp for some time in a live situation with both 5U4 and the GZ34 (which the circuit recommends).

16. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

I have actually recently found a ea-50 and an ea-50 t on ebay. I can send ya the links if you would like and am not affiliated with the sellers in any way. I just happened to come across them.

17. teleking36

teleking36 TDPRI Member

Reviving an old thread with some exciting updates. Since my last post, I've secured the following:

1961 Epiphone EA-10RV (just like @andresound) - aside from a replaced grill cloth, this thing was super clean! Original Jensen P15P alnico with some original Gibson branded tubes, etc. The reverb tank was being finicky and microphonic, so my tech moved it from its vertical orientation to the bottom of the cab a la Fender, and added some rubber/neoprene grommets for extra shock absorption. That did the trick.

I will say that the reverb in this amp is absolutely unbelievable. It sounds like a cross between a good spring and plate reverb. Lots of dimension and not surfy or overly bright. It's really something.

I don't have a ton of experience with amps that feature 15" speakers, and I know there's lots of opinions on how these perform for guitarists, but I personally love having a different voice compared to the many 10" and 12" combos I have.

-------

1959 Epiphone EA-25T Century - I now own two of these! They're identical to the '59 Gibson GA-20T circuit-wise.

------

The biggest catch so far happened just 4 days ago, when I ended up securing a 1959 Epiphone EA-30 Triumph. I've only seen two of these in my 4+ years of hunting, including this one. This seems to be equivalent to the Gibson GA-14 Titan but with a Jensen P12R instead of a 10" speaker. About as close to a 5E3 as you can get from the Gibson side of things. The amp is due to arrive next Tuesday. I'll post some pictures.

Between my younger brother and I, we currently own 8 of 1959 Epiphone amp models.

Fingers crossed I can find one of the original non reverb EA-10 Deluxe models next!

Wally likes this.
  18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Teleking36....#36??? Man, you are never got to ascend to the throne of the Telekingdom be8ng that far down in the inheritance!!! (;^)

at any rate, congrats on the acquisition. Actually, there is a difference between that EA30 Titan/Lancer circuit as well as the 5E3. I would not have known if I had not been spurred to investigate. I knew that there was a difference between the Gibson’s and the 5E3 in that the Titan/Lancer amps run a paraphrase inverter while the 5E3 runs a cathodyne. The EA30 runs a long tail pair...just a bit more gain there. They all three are similar, I do agree. The EA30 might speak with more authority and firmness.

19. teleking36

teleking36 TDPRI Member

Interesting! I am very curious to see what the Triumph sounds like. I didn’t realize that about the Triumph’s preamp design.

Wally likes this.
  20. BluesOwl

BluesOwl Tele-Holic

Update:
    Didn't save pictures sorry @teleking36

1959 subject switch:
    bought a 1959 Ampeg M-15
    15" Jensen Vibrante
    5U4, 6L6s, 6SL7x3
    making ~28 watts, per tech

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.