1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Epiphone Black Beauty 3, Middle P90?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by StolenBlackMesa, Dec 3, 2020.

1. StolenBlackMesa

StolenBlackMesa TDPRI Member

Just acquired an Epi Black Beauty, 3 pickup and am trying to find a better option for the middle position. Debating doing the 3Vol/1Tone mod and changing the middle position to the standard bridge+neck.

Should I keep the Humbucker or convert to P90? Am I gonna run into pot issues or anything by doing that? Any kind of input in any category would help me out cause the ideas in its infancy at the moment.

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I've tried the 3 HB and now a 3 P90 guitar and haven't been happy with either. I like having the neck-bridge combo and putting a middle on a separate volume or blend kob to add when you want it is a good idea.
    I'm converting my 3 P90 middle pickup to a middle Strat pickup which is fitting since it's a Strat guitar anyway.
    Changing the middle pickup to a P90 on your 3 HB guitar may leave visible gaps, but using a HB size P90/P94 pickup would work great. The SD Phat Cat is a fantastic pickup.

3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have a three pickup SG and put vintage-voiced pickups in the neck and bridge and a much hotter one in the middle.

DrBGood likes this.
  4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I just got done putting a TVJ T-90 into a 3-pickup Gretsch just last night actually if you're interested in reading about that:
    https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/anyone-try-a-p-90-in-the-middle-im-about-too.208056/
    One of the things that motivated the build was my desire to be able to run the mid by itself, which I got a wiring diagram for. It has a typical B+N 3-way and had another on-off that brought the mid in, always with one or both of the others. I converted that on-off to another 3-way that gives me B+N only, standard operation; M on with the normal B+N switching; and M only.
    I'm still getting her set up after being disassembled for so long, but so far I'm really liking that M-only option, especially with that T-90. Adding it to one of the HiLoTrons gives it fatness underneath the chime, so defo something I'll be exploring tonight after logging off.
    P-90's generally use the same pot and cap values that buckers do so you're good there. I actually used a push-push pot on the tone to allow me to use 0.047 or 0.022 caps, sort of a mini varitone, and the 90 actually seems to like the 0.047 more, though the difference is subtle.

5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

cutting a new pick-guard isn't that much work
    ToneCaster4.JPG

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Strumming without hitting those extra tone knobs might be, though. :eek:

pixeljammer and jvin248 like this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd suggest converting your triple humbucker guitar:

neck: Gretsch/TVJones Filtertron kind of pickup
    middle: P90 in a humbucker case
    bridge: Split humbucker

Regular 3-way switch for neck and bridge combos

Master volume, master tone

A 3-way on/on/on toggle switch for the bridge humbucker to get Parallel/Single screw pole bobbin/Series.
    If you play with pickup height and screw pole heights you can get Strat #2 Quack out of a bridge pickup set up this way in parallel (I have a Tele Esquire-H on a 4-way switch that does this). Mounted in the third pot hole.

On a stacked, concentric set of pots for the last standard control hole in the top:

Base ring is wired to the P90 as a blender pot so you can range from full P90 back to the base HH guitar output, or anywhere between.
    (Brent Mason's gray Tele is wired something like that, but with a blade humbucker in the middle).

Tip knob of the pair is wired with a Reverend style master Bass-Cut circuit. This circuit works great for distortion/heavy drive.

... You'll have all the tones.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Cutting a new guard isn't hard for me, but the OP has a 3 HB LP - no big pickguard to work with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.