Epic Knobs for Andy (Brainy).

LeftFinger

Friend of Leo's
thtraylersmiley2.gif

mPacT

Tele-Holic
I've been recovering for the last couple days from my last job. (Too much accumulated sleep debt as usual.)
I realised I couldn't "post as I go" with the next demo as I have to make sure there are no compatability issues between the materials. Namely, the silicone molding material and the knob material. Trying to get it finished quickly so you guys aren't waiting too long.

Here is a quick update on a couple topics mentioned in the last demo.

The aluminum, precision milled flat plate was indeed, really flat. Especially after I took a file to the burr on all the cut edges. Now I have a 3/8" thick 12" x 12" flat surface for something.

My drill press just cannot be saved. Where I was able to improve the chuck movement as tested by grbbing it and shaking the heck out of it side to side, once a drill bit was chucked up, the extra length caused a bit of flex that would translate to more movement in the chuck that could not be improved. As I was drilling the bit would slide sideways some.

That is a long winded way of saying, I got a new drill press. I went with this one as it had very nice reviews. Seriously, it was the reviews and had nothing to do with the laser guideance system. . .

http://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-10-in-Drill-Press-with-Laser-4210/203602873

R. Stratenstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
But does it have sharks?

This thread inspired me to dust off the drill press I thought I'd ruined the bearings by drum sanding. Disassembled it.

Turns out the bearings are fine, it's the bore of the spindle housing that got ruined, and that's not replaceable like bearings, so this one will need replacing or some serious work to ever do precise work again.

Nice looking drill press at a great price, too.

mPacT

Tele-Holic
I'm on a job making eyes and teeth for an animatronic werewolf baby for the next couple days. It's for a commercial. (Hey, I don't write this stuff!)

But in the meantime. . .

I received this awesome stuff in the mail and really like it.

IMG_4968.jpg

Clear, water-based grain filler. Good price and fast shipping to!

Also, I was looking at some remnants of my bad habit days and thought, "Hey, these might make some good knobs!"
The red ones are easy, but who can guess what the brown ones are from?
IMG_4970.jpg

Next demo is coming soon!

R. Stratenstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I'm on a job making eyes and teeth for an animatronic werewolf baby for the next couple days. It's for a commercial. (Hey, I don't write this stuff!)

But in the meantime. . .

I received this awesome stuff in the mail and really like it.

View attachment 371996
Clear, water-based grain filler. Good price and fast shipping to!

Also, I was looking at some remnants of my bad habit days and thought, "Hey, these might make some good knobs!"
The red ones are easy, but who can guess what the brown ones are from?
View attachment 371997
Next demo is coming soon!

You just got to let us know what the commercial is what uses an animatronic werewolf-baby!! Mike, next to the guys who get paid to blow up buildings for a living, your job sounds like the most fun ever!

Who sells that wood filler. It sounds intriguing

mPacT

Tele-Holic
Yeah, I think gun smiths call that gizmo a "Bottom Tap."

Thanks.

Great tutorial - Thanks Mike!

Your welcome buddy.

You just got to let us know what the commercial is what uses an animatronic werewolf-baby!! Mike, next to the guys who get paid to blow up buildings for a living, your job sounds like the most fun ever!

Who sells that wood filler. It sounds intriguing

It's like all jobs I guess, good and bad points. Hey, did you get my email?

Here is the info on the grain filler.

http://aquacoat.com/collections/water-based-grain-pore-filler-wood-putty/products/clear-grain-filler

mPacT

Tele-Holic
One more day on the werewolf baby and I'm back to another demo. In the mean time I have been collecting different knobs to mold.

IMG_4998.jpg

I thought I would also maybe mold and cast one of these

IMG_4999.jpg

Think I might need to get or make a better one than this one.

Here is something I have been designing for an upcoming demo. Had it laser cut out of acrylic. Any ideas what it might be for?

IMG_5001.jpg