Epic Austin Weekend - Redd, N. Miss Allstars, Jr. Brown - with pics and vids

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Back in April I managed to get two tickets for the North Mississippi Allstars playing in Austin Texas at Antones. Always wanted to see them live, this was going to be my first opportunity. I decided to make it an epic weekend long Austin music extravaganza. Saturday afternoon April 28, me and a good friend left Houston and headed up to Austin for a wonderful weekend of live music. Austin is incredibly fun to visit, one of the best live music scenes anywhere. Love Austin! Here is our trip report, I took all these pictures and videos too. Fun weekend to say the least.

We arrived at the Continental Club that afternoon and caught the 2nd half of Redd Volkaert's show. Redd is a telecaster playing legend, a wonderful guitar player, and an active member here on TDPRI. I've seen Redd live several times, always a treat.

[​IMG]

Redd's Gramatica amp.

[​IMG]

And his pedal board, not sure what all these pedals are.

[​IMG]

Here he is live that evening at the Continental Club. I should have moved closer to the stage to record this oh well, but you get the idea.

I got to visit with Redd between sets, just the nicest guy. Go see Redd and his band Heybale if you ever have the chance. Thanks Redd!

[​IMG]

I saw at the Continent Club that Junior Brown was playing the next night, Sunday. Decided right then we'd stay an extra night in Austin and return to the Continental Club to see Junior.

When Redd's show was over we literally walked right across S. Congress Avenue and saw these guys playing at an outdoor venue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep Austin Weird!

2. Big_Bend

Then it was time to head to Antones, a legendary music venue in Austin. We got there pretty early, and managed to stand literally right in front of the stage center, where we camped out all night. Literally THE best seats (standing room only) in the house! It was freekin wonderful being that close. The only downside is that the vocals were up high in the PA main speakers, but all the guitar amps were down low right in front of us on the stage.. which sounded just fine live, but in my video recordings here the vocals sound kind of quiet. The guitars sound great tho LOL!

Ian Siegal from London was the opening act. I never heard of him before, but man did he surprise us with his show. This guy was channeling his innter Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson and John Lee Hooker, and he was funny as hell too. Loved his opening act performance.

[​IMG]

Ian's guitars.

[​IMG]

Again sorry, the vocals here are a little too quiet, but ya what a great show, and Ian is an amazing guitar player. The perfect opening act at Antones, would love to see him again someday.

Here is the gear the North Mississippi Allstars were using that night.

Luther Dickinson's guitars. 4 Gibson ES 335s, and Epiphone 335, and one other 335 type guitar.

[​IMG]

And his pedal board.

[​IMG]

Behind Cody Dickinson's drums on stage right was another guitar, a Twin amp, and a.. what is that, an electric washboard?

[​IMG]

And look, Cody has two pedal boards, I'm not sure why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the show started and WOW were these guys freekin' amazing!!! It was one of THE best nights of live music I've ever seen. Love the North Mississippi Allstars!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are 7 videos I took that night of the NMA before my battery ran out. Wow did we have great seats, Luther was doing his thing like 5 feet in front of us all night long. Just an incredible band that can jam like nobody's business. If you only want to watch one video, check out Part 7.

Doing the Train like its never been done before

Wonderful bass solo in this one

Serious jamming here

Love Luther on the slide OMG!

Cody Dickinson is incredible too! These guys playing together like only two brothers can.

Po Black Maddie, just love this one.

Luther with his 4 string cigar box guitar.

[​IMG]

And his 2 string coffee can like guitar.

[​IMG]

For the encore Cody came out and put on the washboard and proceeded to put on a jam that was totally unexpected and amazing and nothing like I've ever seen before! Just WOW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My video camera was dead at this point, but you can see what Cody's Washboard performance was like here, which was recorded in Tennesse a few weeks after the Antone's show.

Again, just LOVE the North Mississippi Allstars, it was one of the best live music shows I've ever seen. Catch them if you can.

3. Big_Bend

After that my friend and I headed over to 6th street for some late night blues bar hopping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We called it a night around 3AM. Epic fun day to say the least.

The next day Sunday it was time to return to the Continental Club. I had never seen Junior Brown live before, and had wanted to for a long time. Again, we got there early and got great seats. Junior Brown plays hit Guitsteel guitar like nobody on the planet. Truly a one of a kind talent, it was great finally getting to see him live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here he was that night playing his epic Hung It Up. I moved up close and got some great video of Junior on fire, this is my favorite song of his.

Here is Junior's Silverface Twin

[​IMG]

And his wife plays her acoustic guitar thu a Twin too.

[​IMG]

After the show we hung out a bit. I was wondering who got to carry the Twins.. and it was this guy, the bass player, who apparently does double duty.

[​IMG]

Here is Junior's volume pedal, the only pedal he uses.

[​IMG]

And here is Junior's Twin amp, oh look both volumes are on 10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His wife's amp has her volume on 3.

[​IMG]

My friend Lane bought a poster at the Continental Club and Junior Brown was nice enough to sign it.

[​IMG]

Really glad I finally got to see Junior Brown live. He just turned 60 folks, catch him if you ever get the chance!

After that it was back to 6th Street for yet another night of bar hopping, so much great music in Austin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We returned to Houston the next day, having seen at least 10 bands that weekend. Redd again was wonderful, the North Mississippi Allstars were one of the all time best live shows I've ever seen, and Junior Brown was just incredible too. Wonderful weekend in Austin. Go there if you can.

Thx for reading...

4. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Thanks for posting! I'm tired just reading this thread. Epic indeed.

5. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

Great photos & report, thanks for posting!!

6. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

Austin rocks...can't wait to go back..

7. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Man, really cool. I wish I could do something like that. Guess I need to make a trip to Austin.

8. PoiDog

PoiDog Tele-Holic

Thanks for sharing!

Man, I can't wait to get up to Austin myself! Seeing and listening to Jr. Brown and Redd are definitely at the very top of my to-do list!

9. Austicaster

Austicaster TDPRI Member

Thanks for posting the photos.

I live here and can't wait to go back!

10. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Yikes!!

Hi Allen,

Sounds like you had a reeeeeel busy weekend!!
    Thanks for coming again and again and again!

Here's the lowdown on my pedalboard;

The yellow one is a Durham "BMP" Buff Master Pre, like the rapper!
    It is a buffer, master switch and preamp all in one
    The buffer is kinda like the one in the Boss tuner, it just makes everything smoother "to me"
    the master switch is a deal where you plug all you pedals through it like an effects loop
    and it has a bypass switch to bypass all pedals but the buffer and preamp stay on,
    the preamp has a little gain knob which is handy as hell when you use different guitars with louder or quieter pickups.

The Mucho Boosto is another Durham product that is a real smooth, creamy distortion pedal,
    the Zia Drive "Durham" is kind of a Marshall sounding pedal with 0 sag or compression, really stark and crunchy "to me"

The Boss DM3 is an analog delay by Boss (80's) I love it
    Out of it I send the dry signal to the Boss tuner

The TC Electronics Phaser is a real variable phase shifter,
    it can give several different phase shifter sounds "to me" just like many different brands of phasers all in one.

Then a Boss tremolo pedal, which sounds nice "to me"

And an Arion stereo chorus pedal, Johnny Isaacs gave me this pedal, its awesome. He said you're not gonna believe this thang.
    Its a real cheap $hity sounding chorus, so when the speed is all the way up, "to me" it gives a real close ish Leslie kind of sound when mixed in with a band.
    I've tried better chorus pedals and even Leslie pedals, they sound great by themselves but with a loud band, not so good, again this is only "to me"

The Nano reverb is a nice tiny pedal with not too much useless extra sounds I'll never use "to me"

I have all the pedals in the order I listed them (firing order)

Redd Volkaert

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Thanks for the post Big Bend.

12. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

13. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, BMP's first album was the shiznit, boyeee!!! He lost me on the second record "Unicorns and Rainbows," though.

Wondering why you didn't just have John G. put a reverb tank in the amp for you. Very curious, actually. Thanks. I see he didn't do it for JLV's amps, either. Maybe he just doesn't like them.

Hey, Big Bend:

It's about time you put up a shot of that pedal board. I saw you sneaking one back in April, too. Nice of you to finally share your voyeuristic bent with the rest of us.

14. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Cool. I saw NMA right before Electric Blue Watermelon came out. Didn't even know they were playing and just happened to go. One of the best concerts I've been too. Still trying to get back and see them.

15. skillet

skillet Tele-Meister

I read some recent interviews (and I think there is a video interview on YouTube) with Luther where he stated Chris has been doing other work to make some money (as Luther put it, "Ain't nobody gettin' rich out here"), so his touring with NMA has been sporadic of late (as I understand it, Luther and Cody did a number of two-man shows for a time).

Sounds like a great time OP. I had tickets for the Dallas NMA show a day or two after that Austin show, but ended up missing it; really wish I had gotten to go, definitely have to catch them next time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.